PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reset default desktop session

jatsad
July 12th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I am new to Ubuntu and Linux.
I have installed Ubuntu 11.04 on a MAC in a VMWare virtual machine which automatically logs on and have set the default session to XBMC.

I need to perform other desktop activity and have tried everything to get to a desktop session. I have got to a login screen, but when I log on, it runs XBMC automatically.

How do I get back to my normal desktop session?

Thanks in advance

Jatsad

westie457
July 12th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I am new to Ubuntu and Linux.
I have installed Ubuntu 11.04 on a MAC in a VMWare virtual machine which automatically logs on and have set the default session to XBMC.

I need to perform other desktop activity and have tried everything to get to a desktop session. I have got to a login screen, but when I log on, it runs XBMC automatically.

How do I get back to my normal desktop session?

Thanks in advance

Jatsad

When in a virtual machine go to System > Administration > Login Screen.

A window will appear with all options greyed out. Click on Unlock, enter your password. Choose the settings you want to use. Click on close. The settings will take effect at the next start or reboot of the virtual machine.

This also works for a normal system.

jatsad
July 13th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I can't get to the Ubuntu gui.
The system automatically starts XBMC as a session.
I need to remove XBMC as the default desktop so I can get back to the Ubuntu gui.

Peter09
July 13th, 2011, 10:00 AM
When you get to the login screen and select your user name, look to the bottom of the screen, you should see options under the tabs to select which desktop to boot into.

If you are automatically logging in - then logout in the desktop - not shutdown.

jatsad
July 13th, 2011, 10:11 AM
As soon as I select a user and logon, it immediately starts into XBMC.
There is nothing on the desktop.

mcduck
July 13th, 2011, 10:26 AM
As soon as I select a user and logon, it immediately starts into XBMC.
There is nothing on the desktop.
Select user, then the session, and only after that type in your password.

The session option appears between selecting the user but before logging in as that user.

jatsad
July 13th, 2011, 10:30 AM
I have done that.
It worked.

Thanks for your help.