PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Poor 11.04 install

norm.h
July 12th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Having successfully upgraded my 32bit, custom built desktop from Ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04 via Update Manager, I decided to do the same on the 64bit laptop.

My first attempt was via Update Manager, which didn't install the Unity desktop, the pointer kept sticking, and the wifi connection kept dropping out, which made me suspect a driver issue.
Each time I rebooted, the desktop icons were in different positions.
The on-board video is ATI Radeon X1200 with 3D/2D graphic accelerator.

I then tried a clean install using a cover CD, which although it installed the Unity desktop, I still had a sticking pointer and the dropping wifi connection.

The CD recommended having no internet connection (which I complied with), but Update Manager needs a connection, and at no time did it suggest disconnecting.

I then decided to return to 10.10, which meant having to install 10.04 from a CD and upgrade via Update Manager.

I'm now back to square one, but I would like to understand why 11.04 wouldn't install properly.
Could it be something as simple as the difference between 32 and 64 bit, and if so, why didn't either of the upgrade methods give any choice or recommendations?