PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I hope this is the right plac.e.

Plane Otto
July 12th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Hay guys so I decided to register and stuff to the forums because of some problems I experience with Ubuntu.
First one: I have no idea how to install Minecraft, when I try to run the jar with Java Binary it comes to menu then crashes, if I use it in browser it goes whitescreen as I reach the menu.
Second: Sometimes the windows "freezes" so I can't do anything, I can move my mouse but I can't change window, write or click anything. If I am in the middle of a youtube video I just hear it until it ends. I usually solve it by ALT+F4ing it.
Help would be apprietiated :)

tommpogg
July 12th, 2011, 09:34 AM
First of all, welcome.

Concerning your problems:
1) take a look to this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1537099)
2) Which version of Ubuntu are you running? Are you sure its is compatible with your hardware? How did you install the system?

Plane Otto
July 12th, 2011, 09:48 AM
1) I'll look at it
2) I think so, I ran wubi.exe and installed via it, I have 64 bit on Windows but it's 32 bit on Ubuntu, this is because my discs are too expensive and I burned wubi for my old compter :s

Bucky Ball
July 12th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Wubi installs can be notoriously buggy. Burn the 64bit ISO of Ubuntu Desktop (10.04 LTS most stable with longest support) and do a clean install. See if that doesn't fix.

tommpogg
July 12th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Wubi installs can be notoriously buggy. Burn the 64bit ISO of Ubuntu Desktop (10.04 LTS most stable with longest support) and do a clean install. See if that doesn't fix.

I totally agree

bcbc
July 13th, 2011, 01:14 AM
I agree... that a normal install is better than Wubi, but unfortunately that won't solve this particular problem.

So to the OP - it's okay to remove and reinstall, but likely your issue (freezing) is to do with your graphics card. Please post your computer brand/model, graphics card etc. That'll help someone identify any special kernel boot options you might need.