PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Jubuntu?

toowoombalinux
July 12th, 2011, 06:02 AM
G'day,
I was wondering if anyone has created a Ubuntu spinoff using JWM, and tweaked it so that it is configurable to the level of Puppy Linux?

I love Puppy Linux but it doesn't give me the tools for an AV and DAW setup - especially with the -rt kernel. Puppy Linux has done a beautiful job with JWM and ROX, also maximises RAM and CPU for apps.

But I can't go past the sheer power (and expertise) that Ubuntu provides for Musicians and Artists. However, not being the most financial guy my hardware is getting a little long in the tooth and a light WM would be the panacea for those ills.

I need legacy support for my aging ATI vid card (8.10 is the latest support) so Lubuntu and AntiX is out of the question - and I don't have the time to set-up Arch or Gentoo (also I understand what's under the bonnet with Ubuntu).

I've done an extensive search but come up with zippo for a Jubuntu (just to give it a name) - was wondering if anyone knows such a projectpast or present)?

Cheers
Martin

PS. I've tried LXDE with Hardy and wasn't enamoured as it required more tweaking than I had time for ... also tried JWM (barely usable) and IceWM (ugly as...) - and Enlightenment (and Crunchbang) doesn't provide an efficient workspace for multiple AV apps...

toowoombalinux
July 12th, 2011, 06:05 AM
I realise that Jubuntu is a jewish respin of Ubuntu... maybe!

ankspo71
July 12th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Hi,
A remix of Ubuntu 8.10 that looks like Puppy? I'm afraid there probably isn't one anymore, and I wasn't able to find anything by searching distrowatch.org.

I'm not sure if this will help or not, but have you tried the latest versions of Puppy Linux? They are basically the same as the older versions, except newer of course, and they now have the ability to install software from the Ubuntu repository too (the main repository I believe). Be sure to try it out for a while before installing it though. It might still even use puppy's own set of graphics drivers.

There is also MediaPup (based on Puppy 4.1.2 retro) shown on this page here: http://puppylinux.org/main/Puplet%20for%20special%20features.htm#Archive

snowpine
July 12th, 2011, 02:46 PM
JWM is in the Ubuntu repos. You can install it yourself, you don't need to switch distros or reinstall. :)

toowoombalinux
July 19th, 2011, 05:12 AM
Thank you for the replies,

Yes I know JWM is in the repos but in its basic form it's nearly unusable (and very ugly). Needs lots of tweeking (just wanted to be productive asap)
However, got 8.04LTS humming - so I installed xfce and the -rt kernel; turned off everything service, daemon and process that I didn't need. It's given me a honkingly speedy desktop that is using less than half of the RAM of the gnome desktop. The plethora of AV apps that I use concurrently are stable and usable.

BTW. Xubuntu 8.04-2 gave some errors with the hal daemon so I elected to use Ubuntu... weird! Xubuntu 8.04-1 did the same...

Cheers
Martin

PS. If someone was interested in creating a JWM Ubuntu spinoff I'd be a happy tester/contributor.....

robert shearer
July 19th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Have you tried avlinux ?? Lxde desktop, rt kernel sound and av oriented.
Worth a look.
http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html

snowpine
July 19th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Thank you for the replies,

Yes I know JWM is in the repos but in its basic form it's nearly unusable (and very ugly). Needs lots of tweeking (just wanted to be productive asap)
However, got 8.04LTS humming - so I installed xfce and the -rt kernel; turned off everything service, daemon and process that I didn't need. It's given me a honkingly speedy desktop that is using less than half of the RAM of the gnome desktop. The plethora of AV apps that I use concurrently are stable and usable.

BTW. Xubuntu 8.04-2 gave some errors with the hal daemon so I elected to use Ubuntu... weird! Xubuntu 8.04-1 did the same...

Cheers
Martin

PS. If someone was interested in creating a JWM Ubuntu spinoff I'd be a happy tester/contributor.....

Xfce is a fine choice, I think you'll be happy. :)
If you want to make your JWM look like Puppy's JWM then just copy the ~/.jwmrc file.