PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Internet keeps cutting out

th1rt3en
July 12th, 2011, 05:56 AM
I recently moved into a place where I have no control over (or access to) the modem or router, and I've encountered quite an annoying problem. My Internet connection keeps cutting out, not for long periods of time, but just enough time to stop videos from buffering and web pages from loading, and it happens often enough to become a regular thing.

I know there are ways to fix this problem, but unfortunately I'm in a position where I can't. So my question is; are there any external "fixes" I can do to keep the Internet connection alive or to retry connecting every time it fails? Like perhaps a Firefox addon or something I can install?

Any help or advice would be very appreciated, and let me know if a "lspci" or "sudo lshw -C network" command would help. This problem also affects every other computer in the house.

MaindotC
July 12th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Well it's definitely not Ubuntu related. If it affects all other devices in the house I would check the access point. I know you said you don't have access to it but you need to eliminate that as a possibility before you call the ISP and blame them. I would check for the latest firmware update or swap out with a different AP to test.

th1rt3en
July 12th, 2011, 06:10 AM
I would check for the latest firmware update or swap out with a different AP to test.

I'm sorry for having to ask, but could you tell me what AP stands for? Or how to update firmware? If that requires the net password I unfortunately can't get a hold of it.