PDA

View Full Version : Really Netflix? The 3DS before Linux?

Mars11
July 12th, 2011, 02:31 AM
So Netflix is making an app for the 3DS before adding support for Linux. I think they're just putting it off. They would get more money for supporting Linux than the 3DS. Sure, I bet Nintendo's paying them, but I doubt very many people will get a subscription for the 3DS. Where as several people have CANCELED their subscription because of no support. There's also not as many people that own the 3DS compared to Linux Users.

Bandit
July 12th, 2011, 03:16 AM
I use netflix and looking forward to the 3DS apt for my daughter..

OldBoy44
July 12th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Wish we could get Netflix here! :(

Mars11
July 12th, 2011, 03:49 AM
I use netflix and looking forward to the 3DS apt for my daughter..
I'm not saying that people aren't looking forward to the 3DS Netflix App. I'm saying that I doubt that the 3DS getting the Netflix App will be influential in their decision to get a subscription. Where as if Netflix came to Linux they would regain some of their old customers and get new ones.

Quadunit404
July 12th, 2011, 03:50 AM
How far behind are you guys? I had known that Netflix was developing an app for the 3DS since the damn thing was announced! This isn't really surprising to me, if at all.

Mars11
July 12th, 2011, 03:53 AM
How far behind are you guys? I had known that Netflix was developing an app for the 3DS since the damn thing was announced! This isn't really surprising to me, if at all.
I've known this for several months now, but I've just thought of this.

ST3ALTHPSYCH0
July 12th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Let's see, I can safely say that noone watches streaming content on their servers, so.... Netflix needs to bow to the pressure of ~1% of the computing population?
I wouldn't hold my breath.

Mars11
July 12th, 2011, 03:58 AM
Let's see, I can safely say that noone watches streaming content on their servers, so.... Netflix needs to bow to the pressure of ~1% of the computing population?
I wouldn't hold my breath.
I can tell you that ~1% of the Computing Population is more than the Population that owns 3DSs, but 2.07% of the World Internet Usage is from Linux and you can't stream without an internet connection.

drawkcab
July 12th, 2011, 04:48 AM
We've been over this before guys, it's about the OS being able to ensure copyright protection.

Mars11
July 12th, 2011, 04:51 AM
We've been over this before guys, it's about the OS being able to ensure copyright protection.
Then they should stop shipping DVDs.

Alwimo
July 12th, 2011, 04:53 AM
Netflix is coming as a Chrome/Chromium app, which allows it to be used on Linux distros.

The main problem is Netflix's lack of international availability.

Mars11
July 12th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Netflix is coming as a Chrome/Chromium app, which allows it to be used on Linux distros.

The main problem is Netflix's lack of international availability.
I've heard that, but I haven't seen or heard anything about it for a few months. Netflix is expanding though, they cover all of the Americas.

oldsoundguy
July 12th, 2011, 05:02 AM
There are more 3D sets out there than there are Linux users and that segment is growing fast.

My Blu-Ray player is wireless on my net .. it feeds my 3D screen. Don't need Linux support as don't watch television on my computer. But do see the need .. but as reported ad-nausium, it is all about DRM.

Mars11
July 12th, 2011, 05:08 AM
There are more 3D sets out there than there are Linux users and that segment is growing fast.

My Blu-Ray player is wireless on my net .. it feeds my 3D screen. Don't need Linux support as don't watch television on my computer. But do see the need .. but as reported ad-nausium, it is all about DRM.
The Blu-Ray Player would be Embedded Linux. We're talking about Desktop Linux and the 3DS.

Madspyman
July 12th, 2011, 05:22 AM
I'm using Netflix on my Android phone. In Ubuntu I imagine if you installed the Android SDK you could sideload the Netflix app onto one of the compatible platforms.

Mars11
July 12th, 2011, 05:25 AM
I'm using Netflix on my Android phone. In Ubuntu I imagine if you installed the Android SDK you could sideload the Netflix app onto one of the compatible platforms.
I'm not discussing how to run Netflix in Ubuntu, but why Netflix is putting off support for Linux.

oldsoundguy
July 12th, 2011, 06:29 AM
The Blu-Ray Player would be Embedded Linux. We're talking about Desktop Linux and the 3DS.

the Blu-Ray player utilizes Java, not Linux.

Mars11
July 12th, 2011, 06:42 AM
It does? I thought it ran Linux with Java. I guess I was mistaken.

djdarrin91
July 12th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Actually its kinda funny that netflix is on the roku box and its linux based.:confused:

Mars11
July 12th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Actually its kinda funny that netflix is on the roku box and its linux based.:confused:
You got me. Harder to copy movies?

Dustin2128
July 12th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I'm a bit more enraged that they decided to support android, which is simply an arm linux distro- but not normal desktop linux! There is no excuse. But yeah, the 3DS. Really? It'd probably be trivial to port the android app to linux. Sigh. I hope that in a few months, we'll sound like all those people complaining about chrome's lack of availability on linux.

Mars11
July 12th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I'm a bit more enraged that they decided to support android, which is simply an arm linux distro- but not normal desktop linux! There is no excuse. But yeah, the 3DS. Really? It'd probably be trivial to port the android app to linux. Sigh. I hope that in a few months, we'll sound like all those people complaining about chrome's lack of availability on linux.
My point exactly. Have you checked out their Developer API Forums? I think about half of the posts there are for Linux Support. You'd think they'd get a hint. I can't think of anything to do, we've done petitions, forum posts, subscription cancellations, emails, and nothing works.

Starlight
July 12th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Fortunately, there are places on the internet where you can watch movies without any stupid DRM or "not available in your country" stuff, and it works on Linux :)

Paqman
July 12th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I'm a bit more enraged that they decided to support android, which is simply an arm linux distro- but not normal desktop linux! There is no excuse.

I'd wager there's a lot more Android devices out there than desktop Linux installs. Android is everywhere these days.

Ruedii
July 12th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Well there are two possible reasons.

1. The RIAA believes Microsoft about Linux Apps being "easier to hack" and is being a pain in the butt, like they are on the Android platform.

2. The more likely option of Nintendo paying them, giving free advertising, or practically writing the software for them (or all of those.)

Dustin2128
July 12th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I'd wager there's a lot more Android devices out there than desktop Linux installs. Android is everywhere these days.
Fair bit more, but that's the point. Android is linux. To support android without supporting other distros is like supporting fedora, but not ubuntu. It's idiocy. And the number of desktop linux installs is not insignificant- a fair few million at least. Far more linux installs than 3DS purchases.

LowSky
July 12th, 2011, 11:26 PM
They also just announced they are changing their rates.
$7.99 for streaming only, and $7.99 and up for disc rental.

So if you want digital and discs sent to you the lowest price will now be $15.98 + TAX.

So i really don't care about a Linux version. I will be dropping them like a brick once these price hikes take effect.

I'm going to Amazon Prime for my streaming needs. Free 2 day shipping on their site, plus streaming of their digital catalog. Sounds like a decent deal.

cgroza
July 13th, 2011, 03:29 AM
the Blu-Ray player utilizes Java, not Linux.
Java needs a platform to run on, which is probably Linux...

Quadunit404
July 13th, 2011, 03:36 AM
So I see that some of you are still raging over this.

I got over it already. I don't even care tbh.

Dustin2128
July 13th, 2011, 03:47 AM
So I see that some of you are still raging over this.

I got over it already. I don't even care tbh.
You don't care that they support mobile linux, but not desktop even though it'd likely take less than a good day's work to port?

Copper Bezel
July 13th, 2011, 04:02 AM
1. The RIAA believes Microsoft about Linux Apps being "easier to hack" and is being a pain in the butt, like they are on the Android platform.
You don't have to hack the app; to make DRM like Netflix's work, you need to control the platform. OSX, Windows, and even Android are easier to control than a desktop Linux install.

I'm happy with not having Netflix if it means I'm not paying a monthly service fee for malware. For that matter, I'm using Linux to get away from big corporate monopolies, so I don't understand why I'd want to use the one to buy into the other.

Quadunit404
July 13th, 2011, 04:39 AM
You don't care that they support mobile linux, but not desktop even though it'd likely take less than a good day's work to port?

I don't have Netflix and rarely watch movies. That might be why.

Dustin2128
July 13th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Yeah, I can understand. I honestly don't watch it as much as I used to myself- so many series and movies have been pulled that it's got very little. And prices are about to jump up again, so I might be looking at alternative movie sources...

Mars11
July 13th, 2011, 04:49 AM
The thing is if Netflix really wanted, they could get Microsoft to hand over the DRM to Moonlight.

Dustin2128
July 13th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Or do it in flash. Not that I like flash, but at least it's pretty much cross-platform.

Copper Bezel
July 13th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Would that really help prevent ripping? I imagine there would still be a number of tricks available on a Linux platform that wouldn't really be as easy elsewhere.

Dustin2128
July 13th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Well, the lowish price of netflix service keeps quite a few people I know, myself included, from pirating films. The MPAA licensing people are getting too greedy I think, not realizing the number of people netflix keeps from piracy. At least they get some money from netflix.

Copper Bezel
July 13th, 2011, 05:29 AM
A fair point, and that model does seem to be working for the music industry, in its weird way. But I think most companies want more protection than that offered by the option of actually building good faith in their consumer bases.

neu5eeCh
July 13th, 2011, 12:49 PM
This price hike follows another just a couple months ago (or so). This is just the beginning. All the relevant industries are waking up. There's a whole new way for them to stick their fingers into our wallets and they want our money in *such* a *bad, bad* way. I'm already sick of it. They can KMA. Before long, Netflix will be just another over-priced cable channel with everybody dipping their fingers into the pie.

I have kids. Their 'play now' selection for children sucks. Their 'play now' selection for adults is only marginally better (unless you're satisfied with McHollywood). I'll be canceling their streaming service and watching their DVDs on my Linux box. It won't be long before they hike the price of DVDs too. I'll be dropping Netflix before long.

LowSky
July 13th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Would that really help prevent ripping? I imagine there would still be a number of tricks available on a Linux platform that wouldn't really be as easy elsewhere.

If you have a PS3/Xbox360/Wii, all you need is a Hauppauge HD-PVR and you can potentially copy any movie you wish.

3rdalbum
July 13th, 2011, 03:41 PM
The 3DS is a very good mobile entertainment platform. When there's more top-quality games for it and when Nintendo kills off the DSi you'll see more 3DSes in the wild than you will desktop Linux installations.

Ric_NYC
July 13th, 2011, 03:49 PM
There's no need to use Silverlight to stream movies on the internet.

Amazon doesn't use it.
http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Video/b?ie=UTF8&node=2858778011

Youtube doesn't use it (yes, Youtube rents some movies too).
http://www.youtube.com/movies

Hulu doesn't use it.
http://www.hulu.com/

Crackle doesn't use it.
http://www.crackle.com/

Flash is good enough for them.

Madspyman
July 13th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Netflix is on the way out. Their streaming options are limited, and they just raised the cost on DVD rentals. There are way better alternatives already and more on the horizon.

No Netflix for Linux is no big deal, they're not offering anything special. Someday we'll look back at this and be like why'd I ever want Netflix in Linux Netflix sucks.

wrtpeeps
July 13th, 2011, 06:33 PM

Amazon doesn't use it.
http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Video/b?ie=UTF8&node=2858778011

Youtube doesn't use it (yes, Youtube rents some movies too).
http://www.youtube.com/movies

Hulu doesn't use it.

Crackle doesn't use it.
http://www.crackle.com/

Flash is good enough for them.

Youtube is moving away from flash.

http://www.youtube.com/html5

(Also note that youtube can't use their flash based player on the iphone - a MASSIVE market).

The reason Netflix uses Silverlight is because of DRM management and because it is simply the best platform right now to create streaming video.

wrtpeeps
July 13th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Netflix is on the way out. Their streaming options are limited, and they just raised the cost on DVD rentals. There are way better alternatives already and more on the horizon.

No Netflix for Linux is no big deal, they're not offering anything special. Someday we'll look back at this and be like why'd I ever want Netflix in Linux Netflix sucks.

Really? Like what?

Considering all the partnerships Netflix has with various companies I think it's fair to say that it is far from on its way out.

forrestcupp
July 13th, 2011, 07:07 PM

Hulu doesn't use it.

Flash is good enough for them.Hulu's method of using Flash really sucks. For some reason, they can't implement hardware acceleration very well. It doesn't work worth a darn on my nettop.

Really? Like what?

Considering all the partnerships Netflix has with various companies I think it's fair to say that it is far from on its way out.True. There are no other viable alternatives. That's why they can get away with gouging their customers by making us pay double for streaming and 1 DVD. I fear that if they don't start getting a lot better selection for streaming, they're shooting themselves in the foot. If I only get one DVD a week, I can just get them at Redbox and pay half the money each month.

Madspyman
July 13th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Really? Like what?

Considering all the partnerships Netflix has with various companies I think it's fair to say that it is far from on its way out.

I may have made a generalization based on personal preference.

Ric_NYC
July 13th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Youtube is moving away from flash.

http://www.youtube.com/html5

(Also note that youtube can't use their flash based player on the iphone - a MASSIVE market).

The reason Netflix uses Silverlight is because of DRM management and because it is simply the best platform right now to create streaming video.

It doesn't mean that Youtube is not using Flash today. When it changes to HTML5 it will be supported on Linux.

That's useless for Linux users since we cannot use Silverlight (or "Moonlight", even if it "worked").

Ric_NYC
July 13th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Hulu's method of using Flash really sucks. For some reason, they can't implement hardware acceleration very well. It doesn't work worth a darn on my nettop.

Hulu wasn't the only example of companies using Flash to stream movies.

forrestcupp
July 13th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Hulu wasn't the only example of companies using Flash to stream movies.

I know; I'm just saying that "use Flash" isn't necessarily always gonna be a good answer.

Mars11
July 13th, 2011, 09:37 PM
The 3DS is a very good mobile entertainment platform. When there's more top-quality games for it and when Nintendo kills off the DSi you'll see more 3DSes in the wild than you will desktop Linux installations.
But I'm talking about currently. Right now there are more Linux users than 3DS owners and both should start growing. Chrome OS should help Linux get a higher market share.

Mars11
July 13th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Well, the 3DS gets Netflix tomorrow (http://3ds.nintendolife.com/news/2011/07/netflix_arrives_on_3ds_in_north_america_tomorrow).

forrestcupp
July 13th, 2011, 10:28 PM
But I'm talking about currently. Right now there are more Linux users than 3DS owners and both should start growing. Chrome OS should help Linux get a higher market share.

There's pretty much a guarantee that there will be a lot of 3DS users out there and there won't ever be a lot of desktop Linux users. Forecasting is a big part of business decisions.

tekkidd
July 13th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Netflix is said to be releasing an HTML5 viewing app for Google Chrome and ChromeOS. That will mean Linux support. Though their is no definite release date

mamamia88
July 13th, 2011, 11:00 PM
geeze don't you guys have a console or some other device that you can watch netflix on?

Mars11
July 13th, 2011, 11:08 PM
geeze don't you guys have a console or some other device that you can watch netflix on?
Yes, I have a 3DS, but I'd rather watch movies on a my computer screen rather than a small 3 inch one.

Dustin2128
July 13th, 2011, 11:51 PM
I know; I'm just saying that "use Flash" isn't necessarily always gonna be a good answer.
No, but it beats the hell out of silverlight. At least flash has a decent claim on being cross platform, bloated mess though it may be.

wrtpeeps
July 13th, 2011, 11:56 PM
No, but it beats the hell out of silverlight. At least flash has a decent claim on being cross platform, bloated mess though it may be.

It does?

You need to remember that the ones that think flash is a good choice tend to be linux users and to big companies like Netflix there aren't enough of those for them to care that much.

You need to remember that the vast vast vast VAST majority of people on the net don't give a hoot if Netflix is Silverlight or Flash so long as it's easy to use and they can watch their movies.

Dustin2128
July 14th, 2011, 03:49 AM
The thing is, the majority of people already have flash installed with the computer, plus it's available on linux, android and most other platforms except iOS- for which I believe an app has already been written. Silverlight? OS X and windows. That's it.

LowSky
July 14th, 2011, 04:11 AM
im quitting anyway, netflix's price is going through the roof september 1.

amazon prime works cross platform already, just use them. also sign up for prime, and you get free 2 day shipping for all your purchases you make on amazon.. awesome deal!

aysiu
July 14th, 2011, 04:35 AM

No Netflix for Linux is no big deal, they're not offering anything special. Someday we'll look back at this and be like why'd I ever want Netflix in Linux Netflix sucks. A couple of years ago, I was upset there was no Netflix streaming for Linux, but now I don't care, for the following reasons: There are plenty of devices that Netflix streaming supports (Wii, PS3, iOS, Android) apart from Mac and Windows There are other streaming services (Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus) with competitive selection and pricing. The Netflix streaming selection has gone way downhill lately. A lot of shows and movies they used to have available for streaming became DVD-only.

supergirlkara
July 14th, 2011, 05:18 AM
I guess Netflix's whole thing is that you don't even need a computer so why would you need it on Linux. I have Nintendo WII, X-Box 360, and PS3 and all of them have Netflix I even have it on my iPod touch. I would never need it in my Ubuntu environment. You want to watch it on the giant flat screen anyways...

3rdalbum
July 14th, 2011, 08:30 AM
To be honest, I usually just rent DVDs and rip them.

Mars11
July 14th, 2011, 08:51 PM
"Dear Chromebook user,
Streaming is not currently supported on your device. We're working with Google to ensure that Chromebook users can instantly watch TV shows and movies from Netflix. More details will be announced in coming months.

Note that your current Internet browser is fully compatible with adding titles to the Instant Queue for later watching on compatible devices."
It doesn't look like this will be for just any Chrome user just Chrome OS users.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Y6D0Sgdx-NY/Th9JvO7M0qI/AAAAAAAAAv8/-iYDR23fBBg/s800/screenshot-20110714-135415.jpg

Dustin2128
July 14th, 2011, 08:58 PM
If that's true, it'll be completely idiotic. As far as I know, chrome OS is basically desktop linux- just cloudified. Meh, you can run chrome OS in a VM and it'll probably be compatible with chrome, chromium, and maybe even firefox anyway- if I recall correctly, it's being done in html5. Really though, the fee increase is turning me away from netflix. Bleh, cheap legal movies, it was good while it lasted.

Mars11
July 14th, 2011, 09:21 PM
If that's true, it'll be completely idiotic. As far as I know, chrome OS is basically desktop linux- just cloudified. Meh, you can run chrome OS in a VM and it'll probably be compatible with chrome, chromium, and maybe even firefox anyway- if I recall correctly, it's being done in html5. Really though, the fee increase is turning me away from netflix. Bleh, cheap legal movies, it was good while it lasted.
Actually, I don't think you can run Chrome OS in a Virtual Box. It's only on the Cr-48, the Samsung Series 5, and the Acer AC700. That also never mentioned anything other than Chromebooks, so I doubt it will be on anything else.

magmon
July 14th, 2011, 09:50 PM
I'd much rather have it on my 3ds. With this comes the potential for streaming 3d video, and that is much cooler than linux streaming.

forrestcupp
July 14th, 2011, 10:35 PM
The Netflix streaming selection has gone way downhill lately. A lot of shows and movies they used to have available for streaming became DVD-only.[/list]

Which doesn't make a bit of sense because they supposedly want to shift people toward streaming instead of physical media.

zekopeko
July 14th, 2011, 11:25 PM
The thing is, the majority of people already have flash installed with the computer, plus it's available on linux, android and most other platforms except iOS- for which I believe an app has already been written. Silverlight? OS X and windows. That's it.

Did you even read what you wrote?

"OS X and windows. That's it."

That's like 99% of the desktop market share. Netflix is also available on every current gen console (Xbox360, PS3, Wii - ~190 million users ), Apple iOS devices ( ~200 million users) and god knows what else.

Makes no business sense to expand resources on a niche market when there is still plenty of untapped potential in other, far bigger markets.

wrtpeeps
July 15th, 2011, 02:26 AM

And what? If I could release a product to "only" OS X and Windows users I'd be delighted.

Did you even read what you wrote?

That's like 99% of the desktop market share. Netflix is also available on every current gen console (Xbox360, PS3, Wii - ~190 million users ), Apple iOS devices ( ~200 million users) and god knows what else.

Makes no business sense to expand resources on a niche market when there is still plenty of untapped potential in other, far bigger markets.

Bingo. Well said sir.

People need to be realistic here.

Dustin2128
July 15th, 2011, 02:37 AM
@zekopeko
Why alienate such markets if you don't have to?

wrtpeeps
July 15th, 2011, 02:50 AM
@zekopeko
Why alienate such markets if you don't have to?

Er, you have this backwards.

Why spend money investing in technology that works on a niche market that will only see a very small return on that investment.

It doesn't make financial sense.

And such markets are not alienated. How many linux users do you know that don't have any of the other platforms supported by Netflix?

How many have a PS3 or an Xbox?

What about those that dual boot already?

Dustin2128
July 15th, 2011, 03:00 AM
I don't care as much since I hardly watch netflix anymore, but my question is this: why did they go with silverlight in the first place? There are much better options that don't alienate millions of potential users.

As an aside, why does the posting thing not work with noscript, even when I've got ubuntuforums.org whitelisted?

wrtpeeps
July 15th, 2011, 03:05 AM
I don't care as much since I hardly watch netflix anymore, but my question is this: why did they go with silverlight in the first place? There are much better options that don't alienate millions of potential users.

As an aside, why does the posting thing not work with noscript, even when I've got ubuntuforums.org whitelisted?

Because Silverlight is a very good platform to go for? It's not that hard to work out.

The percentage of their potential users that use linux is so small that it is not even worth worrying about. It doesn't warrant the extra investment as there would not be a good return.

They can develop the system for less money and still make a great profit.

iiiears
July 15th, 2011, 03:09 AM
If your child wants netflix you will subscribe.

If you are a developer and your child or your bosses child wants netflix you will write code 'til the coffee gets cold.

The 3DS is a single unified platform.

GNU/BSD is everybody young and old. 3DS is a much narrower range of ages and interests always a plus for advertisers.

wrtpeeps
July 15th, 2011, 03:11 AM
What?

People are reading FAR too much into this.

Netflix will invest their money where they will see a big return.

The linux desktop user market will not see a big return. Thus, they will invest elsewhere first.

AllRadioisDead
July 15th, 2011, 03:48 AM
What?

People are reading FAR too much into this.

Netflix will invest their money where they will see a big return.

The linux desktop user market will not see a big return. Thus, they will invest elsewhere first.

Exactly. There are way more people who own a 3DS than those who use the Linux desktop.

3rdalbum
July 15th, 2011, 05:24 AM

Well, that doesn't really make sense in Netflix's case. Why would they target 3DS users in America when they could target desktop PC users in the rest of the world? Netflix is North-America only.

zekopeko
July 15th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Well, that doesn't really make sense in Netflix's case. Why would they target 3DS users in America when they could target desktop PC users in the rest of the world? Netflix is North-America only.

Because they have licensing rights for North America only. They don't have them for the rest of the world. Last time I looked Netflix had some 30 million users in the US which is only 10% of the US population. Makes more sense to saturate that market than chase Linux's 1% global user base which they can't even fully tap since they can't stream outside of US.

ki4jgt
July 15th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Why don't we just take up donations? Once we reach a certain funding level, we can pay Netflix to support Linux.

ninjaaron
July 15th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Worried about copyrights? First, you can rip a stream just as easily on Windows as you can on Linux; it's just that a higher percent of Linux user probably know how to do it... and second, if somebody wants to steal a movie, they will use torrents. Nobody bent on pirating movies needs Netflix to do it.

forrestcupp
July 15th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Why can Netflix be streamed in Android, but not desktop Linux?

aysiu
July 15th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Why can Netflix be streamed in Android, but not desktop Linux?
Because Android is set up differently.

ScionicSpectre
July 15th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Android has DRM functionality in certain phones, which is why Netflix for Android isn't available on all devices just yet. I do recall Netflix working on an HTML5-based player.

I just cancelled my Netflix account when they separated DVD and digital videos into different accounts (yesterday). It's still not that expensive, and it plays great on my PS3, but eh. I never really needed it, and I'd rather support people who explicitly support Linux, especially if it's so convenient to boycott.

I really hope Google's Chrome OS hits it off with these content providers (even though that's just a new platform, like mobile, for closed software to flourish). That way our users have more options, and to be honest there are only a few services that are really so popular that they'd keep someone from using Linux. I think having their support as an option wouldn't be too detrimental. Oh, here goes my pragmatic side again. D:

aysiu
July 15th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Android has DRM functionality in certain phones, which is why Netflix for Android isn't available on all devices just yet. I do recall Netflix working on an HTML5-based playeratic

That's what Netflix is saying, but we know it's not true since almost all Android phones can use the Netflix app by just changing the phone identification string in the build.prop file.

madjr
July 15th, 2011, 10:11 PM
ok, i thought u guys already knew that netflix was making an app for chrome/chromeOS, so basically it should work on linux desktop equally if u use chrome browser.

also, there is Amazon Prime Unlimited Video Streaming Available

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=231

homerhomer
July 17th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I believe it's intentional.
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2007/mar07/03-26HastingsPR.mspx