PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing on a computer from the stone age.

Apelsin
July 12th, 2011, 12:19 AM
I tried to install Ubuntu on an old computer I found when cleaning out the basement without any success. I can't remember exactly how old it is but it was running Windows 98 so I'm guessing it's from '98 or '99. At first I got a black screen so I disabled the graphics but it still didn't work and I haven't found any solutions anywhere in over a week of searching the web. Open to any suggestions that might make this work!

haqking
July 12th, 2011, 12:22 AM
I tried to install Ubuntu on an old computer I found when cleaning out the basement without any success. I can't remember exactly how old it is but it was running Windows 98 so I'm guessing it's from '98 or '99. At first I got a black screen so I disabled the graphics but it still didn't work and I haven't found any solutions anywhere in over a week of searching the web. Open to any suggestions that might make this work!

first suggestion would be to supply information about the hardware, hardware specs.

we cant help if we dont know what you have.

also saying it doesnt work, is more than a little vague.

Apelsin
July 12th, 2011, 12:27 AM
I can't do that from where I am at the moment but I think it had like 64mb RAM and 512gHz so it's probably not going to be possible but I was just wondering if there is any chance of it installing and running. Sorry about the details, I got an acpi error I think.. was about a week ago I tried and I don't have it avaliable at the moment because I'm not home.

JC Cheloven
July 12th, 2011, 01:45 AM
We can play the guess game a little:

If it has w98, it will probably have 128Mb ram at most. There's a subtantial difference if it's 64 or 128.

- With 128Mb ram you can try to install a comand line ubuntu, set some swap space during the installation, and then install some (really) lightweight destop with some lighweight, well choosen applications. The lubuntu-desktop package is a nice click'n'go pre-built option if you don't want to wander around too much.

- With 64Mb you have to think in a lighter distro than ubuntu. Even Puppy may be too heavy (should run with 128 though). You could consider slitaz, or tinycore linux.

I look forward to hear from you (I also like to come back to life these oldies :) )

doas777
July 12th, 2011, 01:48 AM
well, your specs will be well under ubuntu's requirements, but you may have some luck with more lightweight distros.
http://www.tuxradar.com/content/whats-best-lightweight-linux-distro

Apelsin
July 12th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I'll be trying again in a week when I get home : )

collisionystm
July 12th, 2011, 01:28 PM
We can play the guess game a little:

If it has w98, it will probably have 128Mb ram at most. There's a subtantial difference if it's 64 or 128.

- With 128Mb ram you can try to install a comand line ubuntu, set some swap space during the installation, and then install some (really) lightweight destop with some lighweight, well choosen applications. The lubuntu-desktop package is a nice click'n'go pre-built option if you don't want to wander around too much.

- With 64Mb you have to think in a lighter distro than ubuntu. Even Puppy may be too heavy (should run with 128 though). You could consider slitaz, or tinycore linux.

I look forward to hear from you (I also like to come back to life these oldies :) )

More like 32mb of ram!!

I remember I had a Gateway 2000 that came with a pentium 2, 32 mb ram and 8gb hd lol

DHAines56
July 12th, 2011, 01:36 PM
You could try some of the really small Linux distros out there, if my memory serves me right Damm Small Linux has really low requirements and only uses like 10 to 20mb of system files

Apelsin
July 12th, 2011, 02:13 PM
More like 32mb of ram!!

I remember I had a Gateway 2000 that came with a pentium 2, 32 mb ram and 8gb hd lol
It is no less than 64mb but I do think the HDD was 8gb.

You could try some of the really small Linux distros out there, if my memory serves me right Damm Small Linux has really low requirements and only uses like 10 to 20mb of system files
Right, I'll try some other distros ;)