PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What Hardware for a good Server

bookie56
July 11th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Hi folks:p
Under a new guise here...couldn't log in or reset old account....:(

Enough said...LOL I have had this guise for a long time on many different forums, so what the hell....

OK! I am in the market for a new computer and was wondering about ideas...

I have been testing FOG on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64bit and that has been working well.... I am looking for a computer with a bit of clout that I can use to run VMware and work in Ubuntu at the same time without slowing things down too much......

I don't mind Intel or Amd Processors and open to suggestions about mobo as well..... I do like Asus, but I am interested in something that obviously will work in Linux and will give me a nice upgradable computer in the future...

The mobo should have four memory slots at least, so not as to limit memory upgrades.....

I will be looking for a computer that will work hard building images in vmware and work as my FOG server as well...

If there is anything more I can give you - then please say!

Much appreciated!

bookie56

bookie56
July 13th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Hi again!

Isn't anyone interested these days in hardware questions.....:(

bookie56

Drenriza
July 13th, 2011, 07:33 AM
what is your budget? And like do you need everything? Or do you have some parts already.

bookie56
July 13th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Hi Drenriza!

Not looking for a monster...have chassi, have the monitor etc, don't even need a graphics unless mobo doesn't have built in graphics ..just the other components in the chassi.

Good mobo, good memory, good psu, good processor....

Don't want much do I...LOL

I was thinking about 5600 DKK...:)

bookie56

idlemind324
July 13th, 2011, 02:58 PM
You could always get some pre-built machines from Dell. A PowerEdge T110 wouldn't be a bad place to start looking. They are on sale at the moment and you can get one of the starter models that is basically a souped up workstation for under 1k USD.

bookie56
July 13th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Hi idlemind324!
Don't take this the wrong way.....not much for your money!

I bought a dell dimension a few years back and vowed never to buy another purpose built computer again!

I prefer building myself and knowing what can be upgraded in the future!

It isn't just Dell either....at this moment in time there is no demand on manufacturers that the processor can be upgraded....?!!

Even though one knows what boards will take what....there is so little information provided by the manufacturers......!!

Sorry, getting off my soap box now!

bookie56

idlemind324
July 13th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Hi idlemind324!
Don't take this the wrong way.....not much for your money!

I bought a dell dimension a few years back and vowed never to buy another purpose built computer again!

I prefer building myself and knowing what can be upgraded in the future!

It isn't just Dell either....at this moment in time there is no demand on manufacturers that the processor can be upgraded....?!!

Even though one knows what boards will take what....there is so little information provided by the manufacturers......!!

Sorry, getting off my soap box now!

bookie56

No worries man we each have our own preference!

Drenriza
July 14th, 2011, 07:39 AM
You can get a decent machine for that. I suspect your danish (like me) since you calculate in ddk ,)

www.edbpriser.dk er din ven.

Found a opteron third generation cpu and 8GB ECC ram so far for 1.880ddk.
I would believe i could find the rest of the parts without blowing your budget, a little later.