View Full Version : [ubuntu] Force disable touchpad (mouse) when typing....on all-in-one device.

July 11th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Hi, I am currently using a Keysonic wireless combination keyboard and touchpad (basically the front panel of a laptop with a wireless interface).

The standard "disable touchpad while typing" option is not available, nor are any solutions involving syndaemon.

the "touchpad" appears to be /dev/psaux

(certainly cat /dev/psaux generates much output when the touchad is touched)

Attempting to manually run syndaemon at all, says there is no synaptic device attached.

So, I assume what I really need here is a way to disable the mouse while typing in the same way as one would do for a touchpad (even though it IS a touchpad LOL).

Any ideas?
All answers much appreciated folks.

System is Natty, but "fault" has persisted since Karmic

July 11th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Have you looked at synclient? Use the command
synclient -l to show all the levels of options set at the moment, and
man synaptics to give details of those options available to you.

It might give you some clues.

July 11th, 2011, 09:01 PM
You can't double or triple-click the top corner (left of right) of the synaptics mouse pad to disable it ?

No disable button for it on your keyboard ? (Such as a media bar top of keyboard ? )

July 11th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Can't double or triple click to disable, and it's not really a good solution anyway, since I switch between keys and pad anyway.......what I really need is the auto-disable functionality, thanks nonetheless.

The problem with synclient, syndaemon etc is that as far as Ubuntu is concerned, it's a mouse not a touchpad. Those programs both simply say, no such device and quit. But again, thanks.

Maybe what I need to ask is..... "How to disable mouse when typing"?