PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04 doesn't like VMware

lwalper
July 11th, 2011, 05:30 PM
So, I (a NEWBIE!!) thinks "Maybe I'll check out the new distro" and so did the automatic upgrade route from 10.04. The next step was 10.10, then an offer for 11.04 popped up. The 10.10 seemed to install without a hitch, so I says "Why not give it a try?"

Oops. 11.04 didn't seem to like my existing installation of VMware and would not complete the restart sequence following the upgrade. Fortunately, I'm just trying to learn how to use Linux (and Ubuntu) so there weren't a lot of "necessary" files on the system, for, when I tried a reinstall from my USB drive it did a full, clean install and wiped everything clean. Maybe I should have taken the "install in another partition" route so I could recover the few files from the "old" partition?

Anyhow, so far 11.04 seems to work well, though the new interface is sort of mind boggling (I'm still using WinXP on my other machines). Had a bit of trouble locating a terminal which was right on the desktop with 10.04. Otherwise it all looks pretty handy.

vivakh
July 11th, 2011, 05:42 PM
If you had a version of VM Ware Workstation below 7.1.4 you would encounter those difficulties.

VM Ware 7.1.4 was developed to counter the problems that the older versions faced in natty.
http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/wkst_714_lx/ZGolYnR0KmViZGh0aA==