PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Remove ubuntu (temporarily!!)

MG&TL
July 11th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Recently I wanted to remove Ubuntu from a dual boot with Windows7. Don't panic, Ubuntu-ers, it was just a temporary measure, I wanted to try kubuntu (live cd is VERY slow) and it didn't seem to have an option to install over ubuntu.

Anyway, the only way I could think of was to make the partition 'free space' in the windows disk management bit. Unfortunately, doing this or making it unallocated space causes a problem.

On reboot, laptop hums for a bit and then gives me:
error:no such partition
grub rescue>
(command line)

I didn't know enough about command lines, BIOS, and all that to recover anything, so I re-installed Ubuntu via cd, selected 'alongside windows' and ran the installer. Now worked fine, windows booted, ubuntu booted, happy days. :D

BUT- three questions:

-Why does it do that? I'm assuming grub stays behind and then can't find the partition? How do I avoid doing it again? (Scary, new laptop!)

-How DO I remove 'buntu?

-Could I save myself the hassle, is there an option to install over ubuntu in the kubuntu menu?

Lars Noodén
July 11th, 2011, 06:44 PM
You can install over the old Ubuntu installation without disturbing anything else. In the section where you are partitioning the drive, choose manual and then point the installation at the old Ubuntu installation. That will write over the old installation.

MG&TL
July 11th, 2011, 07:10 PM
There was nothing in 'manual install' as in, it returned a blank white, framed, nicely done kubuntu screen. But still no install option. And I checked the disk and it returned no errors. I just assumed manual was a command-line, and you needed to know some shortcuts to get it to work.

Thanks for input, I shall re-load cd and see if it's there. :D

Mark Phelps
July 11th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Yes, GRUB stays behind -- in the MBR.

If you ever want to restore the original Win7 MBR, you should go into Win7 (while it still works), and use the Backup feature to create and burn a Win7 Repair CD. That can be used later to restore the original MBR.

Lars Noodén
July 11th, 2011, 07:19 PM
It'll be there in the partitioning menu, when you get to that.

MG&TL
July 11th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Oh, thanks people, I'll get around to burning the cd sometime when I'm actually using Windows.:D

Lars Noodén
July 12th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Oh, thanks people, I'll get around to burning the cd sometime when I'm actually using Windows.:D

You can burn CDs in Ubuntu with K3B or Brasero.

MG&TL
July 12th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I meant the Windows recovery cd. I imagine it's possible to burn a windows recovery cd in ubuntu, I just won't remember while using ubuntu. :)