PDA

View Full Version : kubuntu reviewed at distrowatch

wizard10000
July 11th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Fairly nice review, actually.

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20110711#feature

Hwæt
July 11th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I have to say, Kubuntu has really brought it up a notch in Natty. Normally, Kubuntu is a clunking bloated mess, that in the last few releases, has had broken GUIs for package managers and been ridden with wireless problems. I usually recommend OpenSuSE to anyone looking for a KDE distro, but if Kubuntu keeps up the stability in the next few releases, I may consider recommending it from now on.

wizard10000
July 11th, 2011, 05:36 PM
I have to say, Kubuntu has really brought it up a notch in Natty. Normally, Kubuntu is a clunking bloated mess, that in the last few releases, has had broken GUIs for package managers and been ridden with wireless problems. I usually recommend OpenSuSE to anyone looking for a KDE distro, but if Kubuntu keeps up the stability in the next few releases, I may consider recommending it from now on.

To be fair I've been helping out with a lot of Broadcom wireless regressions in Natty over on the kubuntu forums - that plus wicd not completely removing networkmanager are the two biggest problems I've seen.

I switched to Kubuntu two years ago and after getting past the rather steep learning curve (I was a diehard GNOME user) I've really come to appreciate KDE.

After all the teething problems KDE4 has had it's nice to see things coming together :)

Hwæt
July 11th, 2011, 05:44 PM
To be fair I've been helping out with a lot of Broadcom wireless regressions in Natty over on the kubuntu forums - that plus wicd not completely removing networkmanager are the two biggest problems I've seen.

I switched to Kubuntu two years ago and after getting past the rather steep learning curve (I was a diehard GNOME user) I've really come to appreciate KDE.

After all the teething problems KDE4 has had it's nice to see things coming together :)

Ah, well I know who to thank for that now! :)

Personally, I think that it'd be great if netcfg was ported from Arch, but I'm not sure that's possible. I've already made a Python-Bash bastard child script which allows me to select from a menu which wireless network I want to connect to when I log in in Arch.

And yes, it is quite nice to see Kubuntu and KDE4 finally maturing.

BrokenKingpin
July 11th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I liked KDE 11.04, but I dislike the default theme. When trying to get a new theme from kde-look.org half of them were broken or had horrible performance issues. I also find the configuration to just be a huge mess in KDE. I suppose I like a more simplistic DE like Xfce.