PDA

View Full Version : Installing and running programs

algrossi
July 11th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Although I have worked with "hard core" Unix in the past, I am not fluent with GUI on Ubuntu. I installed Ubuntu a few days ago and am thrilled. I have also managed to install Skype and a few other apps. Now I don't know how to start/run these apps. Can anyone help?
Al

1 clue is enough
July 11th, 2011, 04:21 PM
try this url .... https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Skype
it will help u how to install Skype..

haqking
July 11th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Although I have worked with "hard core" Unix in the past, I am not fluent with GUI on Ubuntu. I installed Ubuntu a few days ago and am thrilled. I have also managed to install Skype and a few other apps. Now I don't know how to start/run these apps. Can anyone help?
Al

if its in the GUI then clickk on them ;-)

or type the name of the app (usually) from the terminal

for example:

blahlbah@blahblah:~$ skype

if they are installed they should be on your application menu (for skype then usually internet submenu)

The app itself should be found in /usr/bin

sometimes restarting will refresh the menus if apps are not appearing, but you can add them from the /usr/bin if you wish

haqking
July 11th, 2011, 04:23 PM
try this url .... https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Skype
it will help u how to install Skype..

he asked how to run them and said he had already installed them

1 clue is enough
July 11th, 2011, 04:29 PM
but that page is already described about how to install skype and how to run/start...

algrossi
July 11th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Thank you for the quick reply, when you say Application Menu, do you mean "Ubuntu Software Center"? I am totally a beginner with the Ubuntu GUI.

wildmanne39
July 11th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Thank you for the quick reply, when you say Application Menu, do you mean "Ubuntu Software Center"? I am totally a beginner with the Ubuntu GUI.Hi, if you are using unity click on the application icon on the launcher on the left side of the screen and then in the window that opens start typing the name of the app you want to open and you will see it come up then click on it.