PDA

View Full Version : [UK] Bugs from hell!

Grenage
July 11th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Is anyone else getting swarmed by thunderbugs? They're absolutely every bloody where; on my screens, in my screens, in my keyboard, the coffee mug, .... my face.

I hate this time of the year.

Elfy
July 11th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

Yep - loads just to your west as well :(

Grenage
July 11th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Thank you for that; I'm either going blind, or a herd of flies happened to be masking the word 'games'. There's no escape!

Elfy
July 11th, 2011, 04:38 PM
You could have some in pompey that have evolved a group mind and they did it deliberately ...

Grenage
July 11th, 2011, 04:43 PM
You could have some in pompey that have evolved a group mind and they did it deliberately ...

That would make them smarter than the Pompey natives. ;)

Elfy
July 11th, 2011, 04:46 PM
:p

I'll bow out now :lol:

aaaantoine
July 11th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Must be warm there right now. The warmer it gets, the nastier the insects.

oldos2er
July 11th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I'll bite--what's a thunderbug?

haqking
July 11th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I'll bite--what's a thunderbug?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrips

annoying screen hoggers ;-)

they love light, worse if you live near fields, come in windows at night when its warm and swarm your screens, lights etc

Dry Lips
July 11th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I remember when I lived in the UK, I was troubled by all those
daddy longlegs that got attracted to the light outside my open
window, and made their way into my room at night. Annoying!

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Crane_fly

oldos2er
July 11th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Ok, thrips I've heard of. Never heard the term 'thunderbug' before, but it definitely sounds more ominous and threatening than 'thrip.'

squenson
July 11th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Have you tried this (https://sites.google.com/site/yacoset/Home/how-to-fix-bugs-step-by-step)?

Elfy
July 11th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Nope - these work though. (http://www.google.com/search?q=hammer&hl=en&client=ubuntu&hs=F7K&channel=fs&prmd=ivnsur&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=JjEbTpmuKI2xhQebypDNBQ&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CCQQ_AUoAQ&biw=1816&bih=913) :p

DZ*
July 11th, 2011, 07:30 PM
At least these don't bite. The most pestiferous blood sucking bugs from hell usually go straight to Siberia's "taiga". They range from microscopic black flies to something that looks and flies like a turbocharged housefly, genetically engineered to replace warfare missiles, to 2 inch long horseflies that can knock you unconscious, to some kind of tiger shrimp sized-and-colored mosquitoes, that are just as quick, vicious and swarmy as their smaller suckers from hell.

Grenage
July 11th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I remember when I lived in the UK, I was troubled by all those
daddy longlegs that got attracted to the light outside my open
window, and made their way into my room at night. Annoying!

I also hate crane flies; normal flies are at least graceful and look like they have a purpose, but crane flies are completely gormless and inelegant.

Oddly enough, I've always called the long-legged house spiders with the tiny bodies 'Daddy Longlegs'. Seems to be a bit of a UK split on that one.

Ok, thrips I've heard of. Never heard the term 'thunderbug' before, but it definitely sounds more ominous and threatening than 'thrip.'

It does; a harmless < 1mm insect doesn't sound quite as menacing.

Have you tried this (https://sites.google.com/site/yacoset/Home/how-to-fix-bugs-step-by-step)?

Nope - these work though. (http://www.google.com/search?q=hammer&hl=en&client=ubuntu&hs=F7K&channel=fs&prmd=ivnsur&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=JjEbTpmuKI2xhQebypDNBQ&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CCQQ_AUoAQ&biw=1816&bih=913) :p

I think a flamethrower is the way forward here.

Elfy
July 11th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Oddly enough, I've always called the long-legged house spiders with the tiny bodies 'Daddy Longlegs'. Seems to be a bit of a UK split on that one.Now you've done it - I can't remember what I call them and it's going to annoy me for hours #-o

CharlesA
July 11th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I've always called them Daddy Longlegs.

Dry Lips
July 11th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I've always called them Daddy Longlegs.

Which? The spiders or the crane flies?

ZarathustraDK
July 11th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Daddy Longlegs/house-spiders are nice, they eat the moth and whathaveyou that invade my apartment in the evening, and they usually keep to the planes of my walls.

All that crap that gets inside in the evening, they just need to find a little nourishment and then you got swarms of young a week later. Hell no, go get'em Daddy!

CraigPaleo
July 11th, 2011, 09:26 PM
This is the first I've heard of thunder bugs. It sounds as annoying as when our love bugs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_bug) are mating. They get everywhere and especially mess up the paint on your car.

CharlesA
July 11th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Which? The spiders or the crane flies?

The spiders. ;)

Throne777
July 11th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Is anyone else getting swarmed by thunderbugs? They're absolutely every bloody where; on my screens, in my screens, in my keyboard, the coffee mug, .... my face.

I hate this time of the year.

You're being swarmed by a all-girl pop group that were briefly popular circa 1999?

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Thunderbugs

(But yeah, I keep finding them on my bed after having flown in through my open window)

CraigPaleo
July 11th, 2011, 10:53 PM
You're being swarmed by a all-girl pop group that were briefly popular circa 1999?

(But yeah, I keep finding them on my bed after having flown in through my open window)

This is the best laugh I've had all day! :lolflag:

majabl
July 11th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Millions and millions of the pesky little sods here in the Midlands too!

Grenage
July 11th, 2011, 11:23 PM

The girl group would definitely be preferable. ;)

handy
July 12th, 2011, 01:03 AM
There is more than one critter called the "Daddy Long Legs".

I've heard the story that the paralysis tick carries the most toxic venom (neurotoxin from its saliva) in nature; so little does so much damage to every system in the body (if you've ever had a good dose from one you know what I'm talking about). As bad as it is, I don't think that it is a myth that the tick induced disease is the most toxic in nature.

Then I heard that the tick had been superseded by the Daddy Long Legs spider, which had more venom, could easily kill a human, but it can't because its fangs & mouth are too small.

So I looked it up, the truth lies here:

http://spiders.ucr.edu/daddylonglegs.html

As far as your topic is concerned Grenage, don't worry, it will be cold & wet again in your part of the world before too long... :P

It's a bit hard to be flippant after reading the following mosquito figures, which are predicted to steadily increase in numbers as parts of the world warm up. :( Let alone those of HIV.

From Time magazine 2004:

The latest figures suggest that malaria sickened 300 million people last year and killed 3 million — most of them under age 5. (AIDS last year killed just over 3 million people.)

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,665039,00.html

CharlesA
July 12th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Wow. I didn't know there were two different kinds of insects with the same (or similar) names. O_o

handy
July 12th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Wow. I didn't know there were two different kinds of insects with the same (or similar) names. O_o

They aren't actually insects... ;)

CharlesA
July 12th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Well, technically they are arachnids... ;)

handy
July 12th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Well, technically they are arachnids... ;)

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :)

Ctrl-Alt-F1
July 12th, 2011, 06:09 AM

Peter, what makes you think we want to know that?

:popcorn:

handy
July 12th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Missed that fish. :)

Surprisingly, I will take orders; no, I mean that I need classes, no, I already have glasses:

The Daddy Long Legs: Arachnida Opiliones.

Won't take orders because they aren't into orders because they consider themselves to be in a class all of their own.

Just like the Red Masons actually.

I was going to say like the Masons. Then I remembered that they are actually very similar to the arachnid (order), Opiliones (class), they have different coloured orders Lodges, they have the Blue Lodge, & the Red Lodge.

Though in reality the Red Lodge is more of a colloquialism for a certain class of Masons in the Blue Lodge.

I hope you understood that because I will be asking questions later... lol

Grenage
July 12th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I'll agree that mosquitoes are even worse; especially if you're one of those poor sods who get homed in on by them. Some people can walk through swarms without a bite, and I wish I knew what their secret was.

handy
July 12th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Contrary to the orthodox type medical sites on the web, I know from personal experience that if you (me) are pumped up with a high dosage of vitamin B1, the mosquitoes don't like me very much at all.

I gave it a big test once, many years ago now. I was camping with a couple of friends on a beach. The tent was too small for the 3 of us, it was hot & most uncomfortable, so I said blow it, I'm going to sleep out there with the millions of mossies.

I did, & I was barely bitten at all, even though I could hear the thronging masses all around me. I had been & was taking high doses of vitamins at the time including B1.

I was certainly most thoroughly impressed, & most grateful.

Grenage
July 12th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Contrary to the orthodox type medical sites on the web, I know from personal experience that if you (me) are pumped up with a high dosage of vitamin B1, the mosquitoes don't like me very much at all.

I gave it a big test once, many years ago now. I was camping with a couple of friends on a beach. The tent was too small for the 3 of us, it was hot & most uncomfortable, so I said blow it, I'm going to sleep out there with the millions of mossies.

I did, & I was barely bitten at all, even though I could hear the thronging masses all around me. I had been & was taking high doses of vitamins at the time including B1.

I was certainly most thoroughly impressed, & most grateful.

I might try that in a couple of weeks when I go to Sweden; the bites I can sort of live with, but I get a reaction because I'm not used to them. I got bitten on the eyelid a few years ago, and the result was akin to something from a horror flick.

Garlic or Marmite never made much difference, I know that much!

gutterslob
July 12th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Well, technically they are arachnids... ;)Meh... insect, arachnid, blah-blah. They're all pests. IMHO, anything that crawls or flies into your living space without paying rent deserves death. >_>

*lives in tropics

bouncingwilf
July 12th, 2011, 09:24 AM
We had an incredible number of flies just a few miles offshore last week but thankfully they've all disappeared (gone west?) Now with a north east wind building we should be bug free for a day or two

Bouncingwilf

handy
July 12th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Meh... insect, arachnid, blah-blah. They're all pests. IMHO, anything that crawls or flies into your living space without paying rent deserves death. >_>

*lives in tropics

Be careful who you talk to.

Grenage
July 12th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Meh... insect, arachnid, blah-blah. They're all pests. IMHO, anything that crawls or flies into your living space without paying rent deserves death. >_>

*lives in tropics

I know that it must be far worse in the tropics, but I won't even swat a mosquito if it bites me. Ever thankful that we don't have trapdoor spiders and the like; you'd have to be really unlucky to be seriously harmed by any creature here.

We had an incredible number of flies just a few miles offshore last week but thankfully they've all disappeared (gone west?) Now with a north east wind building we should be bug free for a day or two

Score one for the Swifts and Swallows?

nothingspecial
July 12th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Some people can walk through swarms without a bite, and I wish I knew what their secret was.

A high level of alcohol in your blood stream works.

I'm not recommending a slow decent into alcoholism to combat insect bites I stress.

Fortunately (for me) these things haven't reached Manchester yet.

Grenage
July 12th, 2011, 10:52 AM
A high level of alcohol in your blood stream works.

I like your style!

CraigPaleo
July 12th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Be careful who you talk to.

A naturalist I used to work with, who has a degree in entomology, used to correct me every time I called an insect a bug and it wasn't a true bug.

coffeecat
July 12th, 2011, 02:17 PM
you'd have to be really unlucky to be seriously harmed by any creature here.

The number of times I've almost taken a header down the stairs after the cat got under my feet and tripped me up.... :(

You're right about native species, but what worries me are alien invaders. Not little green men in flying saucers, but aggressive furry things and bugs from other continents. I'm quite prepared to believe those stories of big cats in the open places - it's quite possible for a self-sustaining feral population to establish itself - and escaped wild boar can already be found in some forests in the south. Imagine going for a quiet walk in the woods only to see a pair of enraged tusks charging at you!

But it's the alien bugs that are more likely to appear. Harlequin ladybirds didn't take long to outnumber our native species. It'll be venomous creepy-crawlies and scorpions next. Ugh!

And talking of mosquitoes, our native species are able to carry malaria parasites. Malaria has been endemic in the East Anglian fens in past centuries. Start taking that vitamin B1!

Grenage
July 12th, 2011, 02:39 PM
The number of times I've almost taken a header down the stairs after the cat got under my feet and tripped me up.... :(

You're right about native species, but what worries me are alien invaders. Not little green men in flying saucers, but aggressive furry things and bugs from other continents. I'm quite prepared to believe those stories of big cats in the open places - it's quite possible for a self-sustaining feral population to establish itself - and escaped wild boar can already be found in some forests in the south. Imagine going for a quiet walk in the woods only to see a pair of enraged tusks charging at you!

But it's the alien bugs that are more likely to appear. Harlequin ladybirds didn't take long to outnumber our native species. It'll be venomous creepy-crawlies and scorpions next. Ugh!

And talking of mosquitoes, our native species are able to carry malaria parasites. Malaria has been endemic in the East Anglian fens in past centuries. Start taking that vitamin B1!

True, I remember reading about a Black Widow nest found not far from here; I believe that there had been as escape from a research station in Havant. Bird-heating spiders are not uncommon in Banana shipments.. apparently. we already have scorpions, albeit tiny ones that aren't a threat.

I didn't know about Malaria in UK mossies, but thankfully we don't get many around these parts - too little water in the ghetto of Portsmouth. ;)

Swagman
July 12th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I think half the uk would get bitten if red-backs ever flourished over here.

Back in Perth (WA) No-one sticks their fingers under /round anything without checking what's around t'other side first.

Plenty of peeps still get bitten though

Now.. Get ready for the chorus

"We hate greenfly and we hate greenfly"

I didn't notice what colour the little buggers were bug they still kamikazi'd into my eyes and stung just the same when I am riding my treadly to work.

DangerOnTheRanger
July 12th, 2011, 04:49 PM
You know, when I read this thread's title, I thought it was about something completely different...

On a more serious note, I've had some scorpions (not to mention wolf spiders) in my house over the past few days. Much more annoying than some flying insects, IMHO...

Grenage
July 12th, 2011, 05:07 PM
You know, when I read this thread's title, I thought it was about something completely different...

On a more serious note, I've had some scorpions (not to mention wolf spiders) in my house over the past few days. Much more annoying than some flying insects, IMHO...

I'm never leaving Europe again.

DangerOnTheRanger
July 12th, 2011, 05:45 PM
I'm never leaving Europe again.

If you don't, you'll miss out on the skunk that was on my back porch 3 days ago. Or the snakes I've seen around my yard multiple times during the past month. Though those aren't bugs, so maybe I'm going off-topic a little. :) Plus, those critters were (thankfully) outside.
Granted, I live in the American Midwest (one of the most rural parts of the US), so maybe such animals/bugs can be expected.

My whole point is: However bad you think things are, someone else is a lot worse off.

handy
July 13th, 2011, 12:52 AM
I too live in a rural setting. There are literally thousands of snakes in our valley; Brown (2nd deadliest venom in the world), Tiger (most definitely deadly), Black (most would survive the bite - children may not), Green Tree Snake (not venomous), various Pythons (non venomous), probably others.

All of those I have seen here at home (had a black in the house once, & caught one in my shed) except the Pythons, though I have seen them as close as a mile away, down the road.

For all of these venomous snakes, it is incredibly rare for anyone to be bitten. Snakes are (except in most unusual circumstances) very shy. Generally the people that get bitten are those that are trying to catch or kill a snake.

Spiders here, with one exception (the female Funnel Web) are also not aggressive, & as has already been stated, re. Red Backs (the Black Widow) we have a bit of a look before we pick things up that have been in-situ out in the yard or in a shed for a while. Gloves offer good protection in this regard.

Our son was bitten by a Red Back (Black Widow) & also a mate of mine. They didn't feel as good as they normally do, but inside of 24 hours they were good as gold. There was no need to seek medical attention, my mate kept on working. I suspect people with an allergy to the venom could be in a far more serious state.

A friend of mine was bitten by a Brown snake. She only had thongs/sandals on & trod on it! She was treated with antivenin & survived it. She said that for about 6 months she had a very difficult to describe feeling, the best way she could describe it was that it felt as though she had oil mixed in with her blood. She was happy & somewhat relieved when that feeling finally left her.

Bandit
July 13th, 2011, 02:56 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrips

annoying screen hoggers ;-)

they love light, worse if you live near fields, come in windows at night when its warm and swarm your screens, lights etc

I was expecting something bigger.. ahh, they are to small for fish bait!

I too live in a rural setting. There are literally thousands of snakes in our valley; Brown (2nd deadliest venom in the world), Tiger (most definitely deadly), Black (most would survive the bite - children may not), Green Tree Snake (not venomous), various Pythons (non venomous), probably others.

Mississippi is full of nasty buggers also, Cottonmouth Water Moccasin, Rattle snake, Copper Head and Coral Snake (further south). Also some nasty spiders I hate like the Black Widow and Brown Recluse. Those are the deadly ones. We have tons more snakes that are not venomous and tons more spiders that are not at least deadly but still poisonous.

Grenage
July 13th, 2011, 08:36 AM
If you don't, you'll miss out on the skunk that was on my back porch 3 days ago. Or the snakes I've seen around my yard multiple times during the past month. Though those aren't bugs, so maybe I'm going off-topic a little. :) Plus, those critters were (thankfully) outside.
Granted, I live in the American Midwest (one of the most rural parts of the US), so maybe such animals/bugs can be expected.

My whole point is: However bad you think things are, someone else is a lot worse off.

All of those I have seen here at home (had a black in the house once, & caught one in my shed) except the Pythons, though I have seen them as close as a mile away, down the road.

For all of these venomous snakes, it is incredibly rare for anyone to be bitten. Snakes are (except in most unusual circumstances) very shy. Generally the people that get bitten are those that are trying to catch or kill a snake.

Spiders here, with one exception (the female Funnel Web) are also not aggressive, & as has already been stated, re. Red Backs (the Black Widow) we have a bit of a look before we pick things up that have been in-situ out in the yard or in a shed for a while. Gloves offer good protection in this regard.

Our son was bitten by a Red Back (Black Widow) & also a mate of mine. They didn't feel as good as they normally do, but inside of 24 hours they were good as gold. There was no need to seek medical attention, my mate kept on working. I suspect people with an allergy to the venom could be in a far more serious state.

A friend of mine was bitten by a Brown snake. She only had thongs/sandals on & trod on it! She was treated with antivenin & survived it. She said that for about 6 months she had a very difficult to describe feeling, the best way she could describe it was that it felt as though she had oil mixed in with her blood. She was happy & somewhat relieved when that feeling finally left her.

I think that's what it really comes down to - experience. Over here you don't really need to look where you're going, what you step on or where you put your hands.

Six months is a long time to feel the after effects of a bite; that's quite surprising!

handy
July 13th, 2011, 08:55 AM

Six months is a long time to feel the after effects of a bite; that's quite surprising!

She was somewhat lucky to survive. They are such deadly snakes the Browns.

Some more info' on the Browns:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_brown_snake

Grenage
July 13th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I would guess that it's the coagulant that has somewhat lasting impact? It does rather make UK adders seem a bit lame.

handy
July 13th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I would guess that it's the coagulant that has somewhat lasting impact? It does rather make UK adders seem a bit lame.

Do they have a bad leg?

Grenage
July 13th, 2011, 11:05 AM
No, but they've caused a few. ;)

handy
July 13th, 2011, 11:21 AM
No, but they've caused a few. ;)

:lolflag:

haqking
July 13th, 2011, 11:30 AM
But sat here at night with my window open and laptop on, THUNDERBUGS drive me to ALCOHOL !!!!!!!!!!

Grenage
July 13th, 2011, 12:25 PM
But sat here at night with my window open and laptop on, THUNDERBUGS drive me to ALCOHOL !!!!!!!!!!

Lol, the worst of the lot, eh? Rather brave to swim with crocodiles around, I think they're one of the few creatures I'd keep a good distance from - especially in the water.

haqking
July 13th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Lol, the worst of the lot, eh? Rather brave to swim with crocodiles around, I think they're one of the few creatures I'd keep a good distance from - especially in the water.

Do not go meekly through life only to arrive at death safely ;-)

ellis rowell
July 13th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Malaria has been endemic in the East Anglian fens in past centuries. Start taking that vitamin B1!

It's news to me, I've lived in East Anglia all my life and the only people I known to be suffering from malaria were the former far Eastern Prisoners of War.

Grenage
July 13th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Do not go meekly through life only to arrive at death safely ;-)

Agreed, but something like skydiving is one thing; swimming in the natural habitat of a nearby creature that's higher in the food chain...

You're braver than me!

coffeecat
July 13th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Malaria has been endemic in the East Anglian fens in past centuries.It's news to me, I've lived in East Anglia all my life and the only people I known to be suffering from malaria were the former far Eastern Prisoners of War.

You must be getting on a bit to have lived in the centuries I was thinking of. Did you ever get to meet Samuel Pepys on his visits into Cambridgeshire? :wink:

http://malaria.wellcome.ac.uk/doc_WTD023991.html

http://www.jillweekes.com/

http://www.greatfen.org.uk/faq7.php

haqking
July 13th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Agreed, but something like skydiving is one thing; swimming in the natural habitat of a nearby creature that's higher in the food chain...

You're braver than me!

fine line between bravery and stupidity though...LOL

When your times up your times up.

Grenage
July 13th, 2011, 12:57 PM
fine line between bravery and stupidity though...LOL

When your times up your times up.

And as a ex member of airborne forces and halo and haho trained, i have seen more Parachuting/skydiving accidents than alligator or crocodile attacks ;-)

In fact statistically you are more llkely to die from a soda machine in the USA than you are a shark/croc or gator attack ;-)

That's because nobody expects a soda machine to fall on them; everyone expects a killing machine to have a go. :)

Swagman
July 13th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Hmmmmm

RAWWWWWR

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/brutus-55m-saltwater-crocodile-gives-territory-tourists-a-scare/story-e6frg12c-1226092939929

haqking
July 13th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Hmmmmm

RAWWWWWR

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/brutus-55m-saltwater-crocodile-gives-territory-tourists-a-scare/story-e6frg12c-1226092939929

Yeah ive seen Brutus before.

However i prefer mans best friend http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8xlb-yo_sU

;-)

Swagman
July 13th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Demented

handy
July 13th, 2011, 01:52 PM

You don't swim for long with salties around.

Gremlinzzz
July 13th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I was bugged by sour flies made a home made trap and it clean them out.:D
http://www.gardengrapevine.com/FruitFlyTrap.html
i used a cup, rubber band, paper hand towel ,vinegar,and a few drops of dish washing detergent.paper over cup with a small hole cutout,rubber band to secure paper,bout a inch of apple cider vinegar,few drops of detergent,
cleaned them out in about a week:D

haqking
July 13th, 2011, 02:09 PM
You don't swim for long with salties around.

life is what passes by as you are busy worrying about the dangers of it

DangerOnTheRanger
July 13th, 2011, 02:56 PM
life is what passes by as you are busy worrying about the dangers of it

Life is what starts to pass a whole lot quicker if danger catches you in its jaws! :D

handy
July 13th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Well yeah the OZ saltie is known to be one the most potentailly aggressive of the 23 different crocodilians (i prefer to use inquisitive than aggressive though)

I don't like their kind of inquisitive. They might be curious to see just how quickly they can run out of the water & get you. Or wonder how you would taste after they have stuffed your body under a log on the bottom of the river & left it there for 2 weeks...

Re. being scared of life. I've survived this far, though my youthful fearlessness has certainly left a marked effect on my current condition.

sarcasmrules
July 15th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I'm near Southampton - no thunderbugs here!

Elfy
July 15th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Well no, I've got none here now either - but then it is chucking it down out there :)

nothingspecial
July 15th, 2011, 09:38 PM
but then it is chucking it down out there :)

Try coming up here, we're famous for it.

Elfy
July 15th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I'll give it a miss I think unless you're buying :D

Edit - by up there I assume you mean the North - which as we all know is anywhere north of Salisbury ...

sarcasmrules
July 15th, 2011, 09:55 PM
by up there I assume you mean the North - which as we all know is anywhere north of Salisbury ...

Well said :P

Sylos
July 15th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Thunderbugs been hitting cambridgeshire of late.

As the air con in my car is knackered I have been driving with the windows down - and thus getting a good covering with little black bugs.

At least they arent biters - not like the midge - now theres an irritating insect!

Grenage
July 15th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Thankfully they've also diappeared here; the infestation always reminds me of the x-files episode with the green flies in the woods.

Imminent cocoonage.

CharlesA
July 15th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Thankfully they've also diappeared here; the infestation always reminds me of the x-files episode with the green flies in the woods.

Imminent cocoonage.
Oh carp!

I remember that episode.. *shivers*

nothingspecial
July 16th, 2011, 08:12 AM
I'll give it a miss I think unless you're buying :D

Edit - by up there I assume you mean the North - which as we all know is anywhere north of Salisbury ...

Where's that :P
Don't know my Somerset's from my Dorsets.

Elfy
July 16th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Wiltshire of course ...

You northerners :p

majabl
July 16th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Lots of dead, dried out ones (the best sort, except they're a little messy) here in Northants now!