PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome3 on Natty questions

austerus
July 11th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Hello everyone,

I have recently installed Natty Narwhal and all seems fine and dandy but I already miss Gnome. Since Gnome 3 exists and I would like to try it, I want to ask: does anyone have a safe way of installing Gnome 3 with the gnome shell? I know that with Unity I can choose Ubuntu Classic login to use Gnome 2 with the Unity theme but that's not what I'm looking for.

I saw several tentative discussions about Gnome3 but no definitive conclusion regarding Gnome 3 on Natty.

I have tried to install Gnome 3 myself, by adding the ppa repository, doing a full update and then install gnome3 but the result was this:

after restarting, I got a Gnome option for login, but if I chose it then the login password box became a simple input box (no graphical elements as if all were stripped away) and even after a correct login the system would hang before I was sent back to login without any possibility to change the session type.

Could someone help? Thanks!

PS: with my default installation, the compiz config manager was missing from system settings and running 'ccsm' said that it wasn't installed. Trying to install compiz resulted in a message saying it is installed but trying to install ccsm result in a message saying it cannot be installed. Has this happened to anyone?

3Miro
July 11th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Unity is different interface (UI) for Gnome. In 11.04, Unity works as a different UI for Gnome 2. In 11.10, Ubuntu will come with Unity on top of Gnome 3.

Gnome 3 is not officially supported for Natty. You can only use an unofficial repository and some of those are rather buggy. However, some people have gotten them work.

Gnome-shell cannot run together with compiz. That's why Gnome 3 probably uninstalls compiz. Since Unity is a plugin for compiz, you cannot have Unity and Gnome 3 installed at the same time (you will have that in 11.10).

bladz01
July 11th, 2011, 09:11 PM
This makes me miss 10.10. I strongly dislike Unity and mis my desktop effects. Maybe I am too much of a noobcake to get it up and running correctly.

3Miro
July 12th, 2011, 12:00 AM
This makes me miss 10.10. I strongly dislike Unity and mis my desktop effects. Maybe I am too much of a noobcake to get it up and running correctly.

Unity is a plugin for compiz, so you can get most of the effects of 10.10. Only the cube is a bit tricky.

11.10 does come with Unit 2D/3D and optional Gnome-shell and Gnome-classic.

bladz01
July 12th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Well while waiting for 11.10 to come out is there a walk through for making CCSM work under Unity? I don't really get how Unity is a plug in for Compiz? I thought it was its own desktop environment like Gnome or KDE.

- Linux Nub