PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Web

Gremlinzzz
July 11th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Microsoft should be thanking Linux!
they don't seem to realize how many pirated copies of XP AND VISTA.
Has been removed from PCs because of Linux.I,m not even going to mention all the pirated software:D
You most likely wont admit it but some of you were pirates before discovering Linux:D

Dustin2128
July 11th, 2011, 03:21 AM
They actually prefer that people run pirated copies of windows, rather than linux. Strange, but true. If piracy of windows was impossible, I'd say about 15% of their shares go legit, 15% go to linux. They cannot handle such a large boost in linux market share- it would be the beginning of the end.

Dr. C
July 11th, 2011, 04:06 AM
They actually prefer that people run pirated copies of windows, rather than linux. Strange, but true. If piracy of windows was impossible, I'd say about 15% of their shares go legit, 15% go to linux. They cannot handle such a large boost in linux market share- it would be the beginning of the end.

I agree. Microsoft should be thanking TPB for helping keep GNU / Linux at bay.

LowSky
July 11th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Whats worse is in some countries buying a copy of Windows is dirt cheap, like $15. Just to "fight" piracy.

Gremlinzzz
July 11th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Remember back in about 2008
Microsoft blacks out pirated desktops
They tried but just made people mad blacking out some legit copies.:)

santaslittlehelper
July 11th, 2011, 04:52 PM
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/7442/gremlini.jpg
:popcorn:

Allavona
July 11th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Pirated Windows is just like any other piece of pirated software, it's only a matter of time before your caught or it fouls up your system. I know people who remove WAT thinking that'll help, get cracks off of TPB, etc... Heck, there's even a list of updates not to install, all for the sake of having an OS. Thats an awful lot of hassle to deal with, but apparently a lot of people do, because Microsoft estimates that 1 in 4 windows computers is running a cracked/pirated copy.

You lose your windows...Call your computer maker and get the OEM Windows tailor made for your model! Some manufacturers send it free upon request, some charge a modest $20 (US).

santaslittlehelper said it best.

SeijiSensei
July 11th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Microsoft Update will install security patches on pirated copies it encounters, but no other updates AFAIK. This decision came after security professionals complained that leaving pirated machines without updates made them sitting ducks for malware and botnet recruitment.

Random Lemming
July 11th, 2011, 05:41 PM
oh the good old days of being cheap and(ironically) having to 'pay' for it with hours of wasted time and headaches to match with having to deal with windows. i hate myself for waiting this long to switch to linux!

kostageas
July 12th, 2011, 12:40 AM
I pirated Windows 7. And made it genuine with a cracker. Same with Microsoft Office. They didn't lose any money; I wouldn't have paid to use it anyway.

3Miro
July 12th, 2011, 02:04 AM
I pirated Windows 7. And made it genuine with a cracker. Same with Microsoft Office. They didn't lose any money; I wouldn't have paid to use it anyway.

I wouldn't post that if I were you.

I think Gremlinzzz was obviously sarcastic. It is a fact that piracy in many countries is actually helping MS keep their monopoly. Piracy is bad for that reason alone.

kostageas
July 12th, 2011, 02:46 AM
I wouldn't post that if I were you.

Why not? FBI gonna come a knockin'?

UltraNEO*
July 12th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Don't forget.. Today it's not only MS Windows that's pirated, MacOSX has been a target for Hackintosh for years!!

3Miro
July 12th, 2011, 03:06 AM

No, but your boss may see it. Do you know which forums he/she is visiting or what results Google can return on your name/user_name?

GSF1200S
July 12th, 2011, 03:24 AM
As someone else said, Microsoft prefers someone pirates Windows rather than using Linux.

This is mainly for one reason: while a pirated copy of Windows doesnt bring Microsoft money directly, it allows them to maintain a larger portion of OS market share thereby facilitating the sustainment and growth of their software ecosystem. This ecosystem, I might add, is Window's biggest strength. If Linux had everything Windows does (in terms of commercially available software) or even a portion, that would bode very ill for Microsoft.

Dr. C
July 12th, 2011, 04:36 AM

There may be a good case to argue that the piracy of Windows 7 does not hurt Microsoft in your case, but it does hurt the competition, in particular the Free Software and Open Source communities. So it is still very wrong.

Primefalcon
July 12th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Frankly I don't care either way, I haven't run Windows for about 3-4 years.

And no I actually don't have a hate of Microsoft in particular, I just honestly love the flexibility Linux gives me and the fact if I pick up 8 machines thrown out on a street corner (happened before), I can throw Linux on those babies legally without it costing me a fortune.

Said machines had already been running Red Hat btw

lisati
July 12th, 2011, 10:11 AM

The forum staff are watching. Now where did I put that "ban" button? :D

msandoy
July 12th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I actually have both a legal install of Win7 and ubuntu on my main computer. There is no competition, I spend 90 percent of the time in Ubuntu, and only use Win7 for certain games. If I administered a company network, Linux would be my choice. Just for the sake of productivity.