PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dialup modem for Acer 5920 / Ubuntu 10.10

afz12
July 11th, 2011, 12:10 AM
I have an Acer 5920 notebook with dual partition XP and Ubuntu 10.10. I would like the Ubuntu partition to use dialup as a secondary option to Wifi / Ethernet. The XP partition runs dialup OK and both partitions have no issues with Wifi or Ethernet. Is there a straightforward way to implement dialup in Ubuntu 10.10?

Thanks in advance

Je Et
July 11th, 2011, 12:40 AM
There is no straightforward way since there are quite a few different modems. Linux goes by 'chipset', not modem or PC brands. The first thing to do is get and run scanmodem. It will give you all the information you need to compile and install the modem for your machine. You will also need the wvdial and dkms packages, these are on the Ubuntu disc.

jmore9
July 11th, 2011, 12:58 AM
I used dialup for a while last year. If you use a serial modem , one that connects via the serial port , it will be easier.

When i setup mine i just hooked up the modem when the machine was off ( hooked up top the serial port ), then turned on the machine. I did not have to load any drivers at all.

After it was installed i went to a terminal and typed pppconfig and followed the instructions. I don't remember if you have to use sudo or not.

I always had to change the serial port in the pppconfig to 0 from 1 because it always stuck the modem on 1.

After the pppconfig was done and i saved it , i closed the terminal and opened a new one. Probley did not need to close and open , huh !

In the new terminal i just typed sudo pon to turn of the modem. Your number to dial is installed when you use pppconfig from above. You will here a dial tone and then the modem dialing. When connection is made you have internet.

Hope that helps i am going from memory here so i may have left something out.

jmore9
July 11th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Oh yea to turn off just type poff or sudo poff