PDA

View Full Version : Linux Laptop Company?

Linuxratty
July 10th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Anyone bought a lappy from them?
If so,what do you think?

http://thelinuxlaptop.com/images/laptopimg.jpg

MasterNetra
July 10th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Anyone bought a lappy from them?
If so,what do you think?

http://thelinuxlaptop.com/images/laptopimg.jpg

I think I'd prefer system76, better prices from what I can tell.

LowSky
July 10th, 2011, 09:51 PM
They use Dells. Why not just buy directly from Dell and install Ubuntu yourself?

Erik1984
July 10th, 2011, 11:34 PM
They seem a bit overpriced. Ok you pay for good service too I guess (a lot of companies probably won't help you with anything software related once you removed Windows) but I'm always unpleasantly surprised Linux only machines are more expansive than same hardware with OEM windows. Yeah I know it's economy of scale, have read those topics ;)

3Miro
July 11th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Too sketchy on the specs. It doesn't even seem that they list the type of CPU. Unless I can get detailed info on all the parts, I am not buying the laptop.

WinterMadness
July 11th, 2011, 12:16 AM
There needs to be a Linux computer manufacturer that follows Apple's business model.

The OS they choose should have complete compatibility with their models, and it should be customized, so that when you see it, you know its that brand, not just packages/guis that already exist.

Since they would be in the market of selling linux supported hardware, the OS could still be free software, it would just be professionally developed to push more hardware.

samalex
July 12th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I think I'd prefer system76, better prices from what I can tell.

I agree, System76 is definitely amazing when it comes to Linux compatible hardware plus support.

Linuxratty
July 14th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I agree, System76 is definitely amazing when it comes to Linux compatible hardware plus support.

I have to agree..I was really shocked at their prices myself.

sanderd17
July 14th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I have to agree..I was really shocked at their prices myself.

The prices are very good if you look at the hardware, but I don't need such good hardware. I could do with less performance and a few hundred dollars less.

btw, I can't buy a computer from system 76 synce I don't live in the US. I've bought a no-OS computer from Ahtec recently. It's decent, rebranded Clevo hardware. You don't get support for the OS, but you do get good support for the hardware.