PDA

View Full Version : Linux software running on windows?

dmacdonald111
May 21st, 2006, 08:22 PM
I was thinking, what is to stop old billie boy from developing windows so that it can download and run linux software and games, drivers, etc.? I mean, it's not like he doesn't have enough money or enough programmings who are competent enough to do it. What y'all think?

groggyboy
May 21st, 2006, 08:36 PM
Scary thought. I'm not a lawyer, and I don't claim to understand the inner workings of the GPL, but if Microsoft does such a thing, wouldn't all their software that uses open-source parts have to become opensource as well?

cheers, groggyboy

prizrak
May 21st, 2006, 08:45 PM
There are already projects that allow Linux software to run on Windows. GTK+ runs on Windows just fine (Gaim), there is cygwin. Linux drivers on Windows would be the dumbest idea on the planet considering that all x86 hardware has Windows drivers written for it by the manufacturer.
groggy,
A Linux emulator doesn't have to be FOSS at all. As long as it uses no GPL code it's fine.

BoyOfDestiny
May 21st, 2006, 08:45 PM
I was thinking, what is to stop old billie boy from developing windows so that it can download and run linux software and games, drivers, etc.? I mean, it's not like he doesn't have enough money or enough programmings who are competent enough to do it. What y'all think?

Plenty of software runs on linux, windows and other platforms. If you are asking could they port GPL apps to their OS, sure they could. As for drivers... maybe LGPL.

I don't quite understand the concern...

n3tfury
May 21st, 2006, 08:49 PM
I don't quite understand the concern...

me neither. vmware is good enough for me in a windows environment to play with Linux.

Kvark
May 21st, 2006, 09:45 PM
Open Source ports to Windows is great. The big market is on Windows so thats the platform Open Source needs to invade to be able to challange Proriarity software.

I understand your concern though. If someone already uses Firefox, Thunderbird, Gaim, X-Chat, Open Office, Gimp and Inkscape on Windows (and all those have Windows ports) then why would they switch to Linux? ...Well, all their programs would work on Linux too so why not try it? ...And even if they don't try Linux they are using a lot of Open Source on Windows in this scenario so it's a big win for Open Source in either case.

But someone who uses Explorer, Outloook, MSN, mIRC, MS Office, Photoshop and Illustrator can't switch to Linux without abandoning all their favorite programs that they know and love. And all the Linux programs would hold no appeal to this user who doesn't even know them. You don't throw away all your favorite programs because someone else said another set of programs that is completely unknown to you was good. Perhaps this user will try for some other reason though such as to get away from costs and viruses but even then this user will face a huge barrier that a Windows user who already is used to Linux programs won't have trouble with.

BoyOfDestiny
May 21st, 2006, 10:04 PM
Open Source ports to Windows is great. The big market is on Windows so thats the platform Open Source needs to invade to be able to challange Proriarity software.

I understand your concern though. If someone already uses Firefox, Thunderbird, Gaim, X-Chat, Open Office, Gimp and Inkscape on Windows (and all those have Windows ports) then why would they switch to Linux? ...Well, all their programs would work on Linux too so why not try it? ...And even if they don't try Linux they are using a lot of Open Source on Windows in this scenario so it's a big win for Open Source in either case.

But someone who uses Explorer, Outloook, MSN, mIRC, MS Office, Photoshop and Illustrator can't switch to Linux without abandoning all their favorite programs that they know and love. And all the Linux programs would hold no appeal to this user who doesn't even know them. You don't throw away all your favorite programs because someone else said another set of programs that is completely unknown to you was good. Perhaps this user will try for some other reason though such as to get away from costs and viruses but even then this user will face a huge barrier that a Windows user who already is used to Linux programs won't have trouble with.

:) That was my scenario. The open source apps I used in windows were:

privoxy, openoffice, firefox, gaim, gimp, zsnes, dosbox, fceu (now I use mednafen), scummvm, vlc, wget, thunderbird, etc.

The only 2 apps I needed to find replacements for were xnews and winamp, now pan (the betas) and audacious (for all my esoteric format needs).

There was no reason to stay with windows. I knew things were heading in a direction I didn't like, but knowledge of that sony rootkit (although I was unaffected since I avoid DRM like the plague) was the last straw. It's been ubuntu ever since. :)