PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Low txpower

skyfow89
July 10th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I'm using backtrack5. I'm getting either 7, 13, or 17 dBm txpower, depending on which channel. I've tried boosting it with iwconfig, but if I try to set it to anything about 17, it says invalid syntax.
lsmod | grep ng indicates that I'm using the following drivers:

cfg80211 152934 3 rtl8187,ath9k,mac80211If you need any additional information, please ask. I'm kind of a noobie when it comes to linux as well as wi-fi technology, so I would appreciate your assistance. There are wi-fi connections around that other people can see but I can't, even with airodump-ng.

Dangertux
July 10th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I'm using backtrack5. I'm getting either 7, 13, or 17 dBm txpower, depending on which channel. I've tried boosting it with iwconfig, but if I try to set it to anything about 17, it says invalid syntax.
lsmod | grep ng indicates that I'm using the following drivers:

cfg80211 152934 3 rtl8187,ath9k,mac80211If you need any additional information, please ask. I'm kind of a noobie when it comes to linux as well as wi-fi technology, so I would appreciate your assistance. There are wi-fi connections around that other people can see but I can't, even with airodump-ng.

Are you getting a lot of missed beacons? It sounds like you may be too far from the AP. Also, have you considered using a directional antenna, might help performance.

Edit : Also the Atheros drivers are usually known for having power problems.