PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Failed to load session ubuntu - Dual boot - Ubuntu-11.04 with winxp sp3

HorseHero
July 10th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Hello! anybody to help me to resolve the problem? I am a new user to Ubuntu 11.04 natty,

I am using Pentium 4 2.4 mhz pc with G845GVSR Mother board.Broand band network available. I have the winxp sp3 installed originally in my PC, Today I have installed Ubuntu-11.04 Desktop i386 in my pc and completely installed and updated well.everthing was worked perfectly, I have played audio and movie also. nice.

but I wanted to upgrade the gnome3 desktop, in the terminal I have typed the follwing;-
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install gnome-session

during installation of gnome-session, I got the power failure, Installations distruped due to power failure. after half an hour, I have again rebooted the pc,
grub boot loader Ok
in the graphical user login and password given ( gdm option-ubuntu, user defined session & terminal ) there is no option for gnome, in the gdm-ubuntu option login the following error message shown;-
window shown
failed to load session ubuntu - log out
if pressing logout button again come to user login.
I couldn't see the desktop screen.
I tried to reinstall gnome3 repository in the terminal, its telling everythin updated.
even I couldn't purge the gnome3 also!

please help me, what will be the next step.

Grub booting ok, from there I can got to the winxp booting well and its working fine.
only I couldn't get the ubuntu desktop.
Horse Hero

Bucky Ball
July 10th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Just a question, not a fix. Why did you issue, 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'? 'sudo apt-get upgrade' I would have thought to be the command. The former command upgrades your entire release. The latter command only upgrades packages (if you have any installed that need to be upgraded).

HorseHero
July 10th, 2011, 05:58 PM
both cases, It doesn't work. but command terminal working well. I couldn't go to the ubuntu window session.?

Bucky Ball
July 10th, 2011, 07:06 PM
If you can get to a terminal you can issue:

startx

... and see if that gets you to a desktop. If so, we're getting somewhere.