PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] music task scheduler

rkanth
July 10th, 2011, 04:23 PM
First of all, let me clarify to moderators that I posted this request in "Absolute Beginner Talk" and re-posting here; I don't know how to remove that post. I need help with this:

I used to use Karmic and have moved to Lucid a day ago.
One feature I enjoyd was the way ubuntu played music everyday at 5.05 am to wake me up. I remember using gnome-scheduler for this and some help from guys here.

1. The playlist file is on my desktop in a folder named "Music Playlists". The music files in the playlist are in home/music folder.

2. In the command box in the scheduler right now there is one "ls". Can somebody tell me what command to type in there? Should I specify a music player, please tell me how to do it. All files are mp3.

Even if somebody tells me how to schedule a music player play a list of songs at a given time daily by any other way(need not be by gnome-scheduler) on Ubuntu 10.04, It will be helpful.

RK

Toz
July 10th, 2011, 08:19 PM
What media/music player do you use?

You could run a command line player (mpg321) to do this. A command like:
gnome-terminal -x mpg321 -Z ~/music/*will open a terminal window and start playing the contents of ~/music (home/music) randomly.

You will need to have mpg321 installed. Find it in the Software Centre or:
sudo apt-get install mpg321

Since I use Xubuntu and don't have gnome-terminal installed, try it now from a terminal window to see if it works.

You can put the command /usr/bin/gnome-terminal -x /usr/bin/mpg321 -Z /home/<your_user_id>/music/* (replace the <your_user_id> string with your userid) in gnome-scheduler

or use the built-in crontab functionality.

crontab -e
scroll down and append at the end of the file:

5 5 * * * /usr/bin/gnome-terminal -x /usr/bin/mpg321 -Z /home/<your_user_id>/music/*

Ctrl-O (that's O as in Oscar) to save and Ctrl-X to exit.

As per that crontab entry, the music will start to play at the 5th minute of the 5th hour (24 hour clock) of every day.

rkanth
July 11th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Thank you Toz. Much appreciated.