PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation problems with a netbook and a laptop

Methos2
July 10th, 2011, 03:12 PM
After allot of persuasion and then virus problems a friend of mine agreed to let me install Ubuntu 11.04 on her computers as a dual boot. Both attempts failed.

1) Her netbook would not let me partition the hardrive (error message kept appearing when it tried to) so I had to a in Windows Installation. Once installed everything worked fine for a few minutes then it froze, it also froze everytime I tried to shut down or restart the computer. The Netbook is an advent Millano with a Intel Atom 275 processor. Attempting to install Ubuntu 10.04 on it failed - the installation basically froze mid way - it appeared to be working fine but was still at the same point of the installation 2 hours later.

2) The laptop installation worked fine but the wireless does not work. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1525 - the same as mine so I am surprised it didnt work. The only difference is that I chose the Wireless N card upgrade and she didnt. The activating the Broadcom wireless drivers did not work either. I had to do this with my laptop but the wireless worked fine once the additional drivers were installed. The wireless dropdown bit when u click on the icon on the top bar said 'firmware missing' until the other drivers were installed.