PDA

View Full Version : How would I go about editing the CPU scheduler?

gingerkid101
July 10th, 2011, 09:13 AM
How would I go about editing the CPU scheduler in Linux/Ubuntu? Would I have to edit/recompile the kernel, or is there another file which contains the CPU scheduling algorithm? In any case, I'm taking a class on Operating Systems, and I'm curious to get my hands on the code and see for myself what kind of changes I can make. Thanks in advance for your help!

(I am specifically interested in the mid-term scheduler, but if somebody could lead me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.)

-Chris

Elfy
July 10th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Thread moved to Programming Talk.

TwoEars
July 10th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I recommend reading O'Reilly's "Understanding the Linux Kernel", it's a good read. "Linux Kernel Development" by Robert Love is also fairly decent on the topic. They'll teach you much better than anyone on here could. Kernel development is a big undertaking, and you can't leap into it without first knowing everything you need to know (otherwise, you get PP code and that's never good).

gingerkid101
July 10th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I have a basic understanding of how operating systems work with processes and schedule them. I was just really interested in seeing the actual code for myself.

slavik
July 11th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I have a basic understanding of how operating systems work with processes and schedule them. I was just really interested in seeing the actual code for myself.
get the linux source code (kernel.org is a start, there are also source packages for the one ubuntu uses).

TwoEars
July 11th, 2011, 11:17 AM

Again, reading those books will give you a much better overview and a better idea on what you need to edit to get what you want. Jumping into the source code will probably leave you lost and confused (don't take this as a dig at you - the same would apply to anyone asking this question)

gingerkid101
July 11th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Again, reading those books will give you a much better overview and a better idea on what you need to edit to get what you want. Jumping into the source code will probably leave you lost and confused (don't take this as a dig at you - the same would apply to anyone asking this question)

Yeah, after seeing it, I see what you mean. I will look into those books when I have some spare time. I'm doing a research paper on cpu scheduling. This thing may be the end of me haha. Thanks for your help again.