PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can anyone connect to telstra

JimSmyth
July 10th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Hi, I've got a Sierra wireless 308 with Telstra & I was wondering if anyone has been able to connect to it. If so I'll download Ubuntu, also if so please advise which version. I've tried Fedora 13 and it see's the modem but when I try to connect it comes up with network disconnected. Regards Jim

Bucky Ball
July 10th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Telstra Bigpond here. Not a problem. Modems and router really don't make much difference to Ubuntu. I would run it off the LiveCD ('Try Ubuntu' option) with an ethernet cable plugged in.

You really shouldn't have any problems. ISPs are not generally an issue. Your Fedora install probably just needed some tweaking to get it going.

JimSmyth
July 10th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Many thanks, I'll give it a go. Thanks Jim

slv026
July 17th, 2011, 12:43 AM
And?????
Did you get connected????
If you did, can you please let me (us) know how you did it?
I'm and absolute novice with Linux/Ubuntu and am looking at moving from Windows XP, so you might need to be (very) explicit!!!!
I an running Ubuntu 11.4 on a USB stick (which seems to fire up and work 'normally" - so now I need some internet!

Bucky Ball
July 17th, 2011, 12:53 AM
And?????
Did you get connected????
If you did, can you please let me (us) know how you did it?
I'm and absolute novice with Linux/Ubuntu and am looking at moving from Windows XP, so you might need to be (very) explicit!!!!
I an running Ubuntu 11.4 on a USB stick (which seems to fire up and work 'normally" - so now I need some internet!

Please post a new thread with a descriptive title and give as much info as you can about your hardware and software set up. You have a much better chance of getting help that way; trying to help two OPs on the same thread gets confusing because your issue is NOT the same as the original poster and we avoid.

Post a link to the new thread here if you like and we'll see if there's any ideas. ...

PS: I would perhaps try 10.04 before going too much further. ...

gblacks
September 1st, 2011, 01:28 AM
No problems connecting 11.04 to Telstra via my Sierra - works a treat - so just post a bit more hardware info and some details re what type of Telstra account you have. If you do that I will post some config screen shots for you to work from.