PDA

View Full Version : Linux in Media

life in color
July 10th, 2011, 05:21 AM
So I'm currently watching The Social Network and I noticed that Mark Zuckerburg (Mr. Facebook) was using Linux on his two computers! And it definitely wasn't for copyright reasons since everyone else used either Windows or Mac. He also mentioned Apache. So I was wondering if anyone else has noticed Linux in the media.

life in color
July 10th, 2011, 10:44 PM
anyone?

LowSky
July 10th, 2011, 11:38 PM
im pretty sure there is a link somewhere on the forums about the same subject

haqking
July 11th, 2011, 12:59 AM
So I'm currently watching The Social Network and I noticed that Mark Zuckerburg (Mr. Facebook) was using Linux on his two computers! And it definitely wasn't for copyright reasons since everyone else used either Windows or Mac. He also mentioned Apache. So I was wondering if anyone else has noticed Linux in the media.

I would say that the majority of computer science students use Linux and open source software.

And the whole of facebook is developed on Linux an dopen source software, and the site itself runs on LAMP based servers on Big IP.

life in color
July 11th, 2011, 04:21 AM
im pretty sure there is a link somewhere on the forums about the same subject

Do you know where I could find this thread?

I would say that the majority of computer science students use Linux and open source software.

And the whole of facebook is developed on Linux an dopen source software, and the site itself runs on LAMP based servers on Big IP.

That's very promising to hear!!!

LowSky
July 11th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Do you know where I could find this thread?

use the forums search function and or google. sorry im not in a giving mood

actually most don't. most people learn on windows based machines. Unix/Linux is rarely taught, except in very specific courses. Most CompSci majors I know or have met have never dealt with Linux inside a classroom. My last job their was only a small handful of people with *nix experience. Funny part was the Linux users either had no degree or a Masters in Computer Science.

life in color
July 11th, 2011, 04:58 PM
actually most don't. most people learn on windows based machines. Unix/Linux is rarely taught, except in very specific courses. Most CompSci majors I know or have met have never dealt with Linux inside a classroom. My last job their was only a small handful of people with *nix experience. Funny part was the Linux users either had no degree or a Masters in Computer Science.

poor Linux :(

haqking
July 11th, 2011, 05:05 PM
use the forums search function and or google. sorry im not in a giving mood

I know it is not taught much, but evey comp sci student i know or have met uses *nix as there preferred host os.
I guess it depends where and what school they use.

sanderd17
July 11th, 2011, 05:10 PM
In my university, the software Labo runs on Ubuntu 10.10. And most IT students also have a Linux distro on their computer. For about 50% of them, it is their major OS.

The other computer rooms run a virtual Windows on a Linux host though.

SeijiSensei
July 11th, 2011, 05:30 PM
A lot of us got a good laugh in one of the Matrix movies (the second?) when Trinity uses nmap (http://www.nmap.org/) to try and hack into a remote server. Though nmap is multi-platform, it looked like she was using a Linux machine at the time.

ninjaaron
July 11th, 2011, 05:41 PM
He also talks about wget, emacs, and the Perl scripting language in Social Network, along with mutiple shots of KDE 3 and the terminal.

But really, who the hell would use emacs when vim is out there? :confused:

Funny to hear that they are are not teaching Linux to computer science majors. Every company I've ever worked for with a server and my University all run Linux servers and the IT guys are total Linux nerds.

P.S. At the end of the movie, he is working on a Mac Power Book, but he is still sitting at a workstation running KDE.

haqking
July 11th, 2011, 05:42 PM
A lot of us got a good laugh in one of the Matrix movies (the second?) when Trinity uses nmap (http://www.nmap.org/) to try and hack into a remote server. Though nmap is multi-platform, it looked like she was using a Linux machine at the time.

indeed i remember the first time i saw it ;-)

Nmap appears in a few movies.
http://nmap.org/movies.html

as for linux/*nix then there are few.

Antitrust
Jurassic park (though i think that was Unix)
etc etc

I believe this has been covered on here before too, and on cooking with linux

BrokenKingpin
July 11th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Not in southern Ontario. Most Universities down here teach most C development on unix platforms (such as Linux). For my college program we were required do to most of our development in Linux. So I think it really depends on where you live.

Simian Man
July 11th, 2011, 05:53 PM

Every CS department I know of uses Linux as a teaching platform. Whether the students use it personally is another matter though.

life in color
July 12th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Not in southern Ontario. Most Universities down here teach most C development on unix platforms (such as Linux). For my college program we were required do to most of our development in Linux. So I think it really depends on where you live.

At least Canada has some common sense!