PDA

View Full Version : Where should Ubuntu focus in the coming years

SpyMasterMatt
July 10th, 2011, 03:14 AM
This is a simple matter of curiosity. Where do people feel that Ubuntu should focus its attention in the next few releases? What do most people want from Ubuntu at this point in time?

Note: This is assuming that an obvious focus is to stabilise Unity as well as reintroducing several of the customisation features that seem to be lacking (Don't get me wrong, overall I like Unity as an interface).

LowSky
July 10th, 2011, 03:36 AM
I like new stuff but only when it tested and not buggy. I dont like works in progress.

MasterNetra
July 10th, 2011, 03:47 AM
+1 Standardization, and hardware support focus. It would probably be better if there cycle was like... X.04 - New Stuff, updated apps; X.10- Continue work on new stuff/addtions to new stuff, tweaking, bug fix, updated apps; Y.04 - Minor addtions, tweaking, bug fixing, update apps; Y.10 - Some Tweaking, more bug fixing, apped apps but no alpha or betas; LTS- Pure 100% Bug Fixing, update apps but no alphas or betas. This cycle would allow new stuff but would do so in such a way to help ensure a stable LTS with minimal bugs.

aysiu
July 10th, 2011, 04:42 AM
No option for An OEM deal with proper marketing? That, as far as I'm concerned, is the only chance Ubuntu has for fixing Bug #1.

Roasted
July 10th, 2011, 05:27 AM
No option for An OEM deal with proper marketing? That, as far as I'm concerned, is the only chance Ubuntu has for fixing Bug #1.

Agreed. While it's nice seeing a vendor like System76 having pre-installed systems, their prices are a bit too high, and I hear *nothing* about them...

Bandit
July 10th, 2011, 05:34 AM
I voted for them all, but I am not for huge leaps to quick like we sometimes have. I like small improvements at a steady speed that dont impair stability or functionality.

donniezazen
July 10th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Power regression issues in latest kernel has forced me to use Windows 7. One thing Ubuntu or open source community should never compromise is computing.

I have to say that Windows 7 is a great OS.

Dustin2128
July 10th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Missing option: bug fixes. Sorry people, but ubuntu is one of the buggiest distros I've ever used.

ZarathustraDK
July 10th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I think all apply at this point, including bug-fixing.

- Focus on best-of-breed applications instead app-suites (Thunderbird replacing Evolution is an example of this). It's no use getting locked into a plethora of applications if you can't tear out one without tearing out half your desktop.

- Canonical needs to start approaching google about an open SIP/voice/video-chat, currently I see that as the only viable solution to the sad state of things in that department. No Skype is not an option anymore, the linux-version is old and probably wont see another update. Yeah I know we have Ekiga and such, but half the conundrum is getting the rest of the world to use it too; Google may be able to pull that off.

- Polish up Unity. If Ubuntu wants to create an identity around its interface, then this surely will get a lot of focus. I don't know if configurability is part of this vision, as there are certain gains to standardization if developers can always say "this is where the dock is and always will be etc."; kinda like *shudders* how Apple standardizing its hardware to only a few models makes life easier on the OSX-developers.

- When Wayland arrives it should get absolute priority dev-wise, the gains and pay-off of a properly working Wayland is simply that important.

Spice Weasel
July 10th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Not just Ubuntu, but Linux in general needs to stop changing things that do not need to be changed and start changing/fixing things that need to be changed/fixed. I'm talking about the major flaws of Linux here: PulseAudio, X11, the lack of a stable driver API, etc.

Also this:

Missing option: bug fixes. Sorry people, but ubuntu is one of the buggiest distros I've ever used.

The reason I stopped using Ubuntu.

Erik1984
July 10th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I like new stuff but only when it tested and not buggy. I dont like works in progress.

It's impossible to find all bugs without a large group really using Ubuntu for their daily taks. There are quite some people testing 11.10 now. If nobody would be willing to use Unity how can bugs be ironed out?

LowSky
July 10th, 2011, 04:00 PM
It's impossible to find all bugs without a large group really using Ubuntu for their daily taks. There are quite some people testing 11.10 now. If nobody would be willing to use Unity how can bugs be ironed out?

I don't see Apple or Microsoft releasing extremely buggy software.
Microsoft does beta and RC testing and the final product is pretty slick, at least for Windows 7. Apple does little if any actual beta testing that I know of, and the product ships pretty stable. So why can't Ubuntu do this? They could have sat on Unity until it was more stable and released it via PPA for beta testing.

Another downside is some of the choices Ubuntu comes with, like Plymouth and soon Wayland, both don't support proprietary drivers from Nvidia, and that a big deal to most of the community. Nouveau will never be as good without VDPAU support and I shouldn't be forced to use it. The community overwhelmingly recommends Nvidia and Ubuntu sooner than later wont really support complete use.

Also Unity shouldn't have been built on Gnome. It should have been built from scratch and only use GTK/Qt libraries. That way users could easily switch to Gnome 3 if they wanted to without all the problems we face now.

neu5eeCh
July 10th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Power regression issues in latest kernel has forced me to use Windows 7. One thing Ubuntu or open source community should never compromise is computing.

I have to say that Windows 7 is a great OS.

Agreed, on all counts. I would add: Peripherals, peripherals, peripherals, peripherals, peripherals, peripherals, peripherals, peripherals, peripherals, peripherals, peripherals, peripherals, peripherals, peripherals, peripherals, peripherals, peripherals, peripherals, peripherals, peripherals, peripherals, peripherals, peripherals...

Until Linux/[Insert Distro] works with any and all scanners, printers, fax machines, USB peripherals, etc... the rest is pointless. Whether or not third party hardware vendors are at fault is immaterial. It's Linux's problem. Solve it.

Also, I have to say, Xubuntu is a great OS. ;)

Frogs Hair
July 10th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Stability , though I have had great success installing and running Ubuntu this is not the case for many people who try Ubuntu . If the first experience with installing Ubuntu turns into a command line nightmare , this can be a major turn off .

To be a MS or Apple developer is a full time job unlike many Linux developers , so it is no wonder there products may appear more polished .

wrtpeeps
July 11th, 2011, 07:09 PM

Ubuntu's only chance is to try and support as much as possible out of the box. This will help secure any OEM deal.

But then, supporting as much as possible out of the box is apparently "bloat", isn't it? At least it is if you listen to some on here. :rolleyes:

BrokenKingpin
July 11th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Hardware support and bug fixes. I have had issues with my netbook touchpad for the last 3 releases. This is a kernel bug, but it effects the usability for Ubuntu. Bugs like these add up, and they never seem to put effort towards older bugs, only new development work (Unity).

I personally think that they should have switched to Xfce instead of going the unity rout. This with a nice new dock applet would have been great, and would free up a lot of time for addressing bugs and stability issues.

I realize they need to create new features to draw in new users and push the OS forward, but it just seems the issues that have been around for years never get resolved.

I do think the next release will be better. There are a few things, like GDM being replaced with LightDM, that I think are good steps (especially for Xubuntu)... and hopefully the new kernel will fix my touchpad issue :P

lykwydchykyn
July 11th, 2011, 07:33 PM

Spot on, IMO. They need a deal with an OEM who will officially support LTS releases and work with Canonical to identify good target markets. Dell was a joke.

aysiu
July 11th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Ubuntu's only chance is to try and support as much as possible out of the box. This will help secure any OEM deal.

But then, supporting as much as possible out of the box is apparently "bloat", isn't it? At least it is if you listen to some on here. :rolleyes:
They've tried that the last seven years. I don't think that's the approach. If they work at an OEM deal first, then they can make sure everything works at least for that model.

danyc05
July 11th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Since Linux is offered for free, I will never expect it to be perfect. I always had problems here and there using Linux but I just deal with it and stay patient til it gets fixed. I'm getting a an os that I dont have to pay for and will always update to the newest one for free so thats why Linux will always have problems and lack some features but I dont mind it sometime it helps me learn more things that I didnt know before. Right now Im using Ubuntu 11.04, I know alot of people dont like unity but I've gotten use to it a bit and will continue to wait and see how it improves.

Random_Dude
July 11th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Hardware and Standardisation.

I think Linux is getting user-friendly enough to be used by most people (a lot of people don't agree, but I think it is).
The main problem is still Hardware and software incompatibilities.

Cheers :cool:

Dustin2128
July 11th, 2011, 08:34 PM
The reason I stopped using Ubuntu.
Me too. It's also why I haven't recommended ubuntu since Intrepid- I recommend mint to most people instead. Periphreal support is already quite good, but it could get better. But really, bugfixes, bugfixes, bugfixes, bugfixes.

KiwiNZ
July 11th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Drop and forget the whole Bug #1 nonsense. Forget trying to be better than OSX and Widows and concentrate on developing and improving ubuntu.

If the work is done on design, usability, stability and interoperability then the rest will following along.

The secondary in tandem effort should be on ancillary products and Applications that enhance the user experience and broadens the ecosystem.

conradin
July 11th, 2011, 08:43 PM
no option for an oem deal with proper marketing? That, as far as i'm concerned, is the only chance ubuntu has for fixing bug #1.

right on!

Dustin2128
July 11th, 2011, 08:44 PM
But Kiwi, when it doesn't crash, ubuntu is already better than OS X and Windows! ;)

I think that ubuntu should focus on stability and bugfixes, and by the time 12.04 LTS comes out, it should be ready for OEM deals. I'm just waiting for this conversation to take place:
MS:"Sorry, but if you continue to package machines with ubuntu, we're going to have to raise the price for your OEM licenses to full price."
OEM:"Then what incentive is there to run windows? We'll sell all of our machines with ubuntu from now on! They don't extort us into using their OS."
MS:"Damn....."

KiwiNZ
July 11th, 2011, 09:29 PM
But before we do anymore changes and development can someone Please please please go into the 27th Floor, Millbank Tower and take the Crayolas off them and throw them into the Thames.

SeijiSensei
July 11th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I would make fixing wireless driver problems the number-one priority for future releases. Nothing could be more frustrating than installing Ubuntu and discovering it won't connect to the Internet. Given the vast array of wifi problems reported in these forums, that should be one of the most important issues for future releases.

Forget about the interface and fix the hardware compatibility problems first.

ninjaaron
July 11th, 2011, 10:02 PM
None of the above (ok, maybe one, and then another that's not on the list)?

Canonical cannot solve all of Linux's hardware issues. That's a Kernel thing, and, though it is a Linux problem, I think it is unsolvable without manufacturer support. Furthermore, I think it can stand to be shelved until Ubuntu has more users. I'm not saying that it's not problem, even a crippling problem, I'm just saying that it needs to get on more machines before a solution can be in sight. OEM's can make the software work on a machine that they want to run Ubuntu. They have guys for that stuff; or, on the other hand, they can build machines out of parts that already work. Peripherals will be worked out when the market makes it worth while.

I think to attract OEMs, which is where it's at right now, Ubuntu needs to work on perfecting the interface. Innovation is important, but I think in a product that is meant to reach a mass audience, the refinement is the priority. I think Ubuntu should perfect the interface it has now, as well as improving the touch accessibility so it can be a valid OS for the tablet PC. I'm not talking about reinventing the touch platform with a host of new gestures, I just mean making everything accessible in that medium. On the topic of interface (though not touch) owned macs with OSX for five years before I discovered the Terminal (and that was shortly before switching to Ubuntu). As a softcore geek and old-time DOS user, I love the terminal, but the kind of interface that makes that ignorance possible, not knowing about the terminal, should be available to the average "non-technical" user who is scared of the CLI (read: the average human being). Squash the bugs and make everything accessible via GUI, and even via touch. K-I-S-S is the word people, and not for the devs; for the user.

That said, they should do all they can to encourage and facilitate the development of software that provides full accessibility via GUI (as user-text-input-free as possible) and touch.

Second, the option that isn't on the list, ubuntu needs to go farther in what it has already done to monetise itself. Android and iTunes have shown us that free software can make money, a lot of money, as a "salesman" for or portal to solid paid content and services. Canonical already skims a little off the top for Ubuntu One music store and and the cloud services (I forget who actually provides it, but it doesn't matter). Ubuntu should add more paid services to this list, work on expanding the music library, adding movies, cutting deals with off site backup services, basically letting Ubuntu be the middleman for anything that people buy online. If Ubuntu can become profitable, they can put some real muscle behind advertising and perusing contracts with OEMs, and perhaps eventually hardware and software manufacturers (imagine if they could get some sort of exclusive deal where the next huge Blizzard title or a piece of technology like Kinect only worked for the first few months on Ubuntu).

A huge part of this is the "For Purchace" apps in the software center. The other day I bought a game that my system can't run. It was $5, so I'm not really upset (except that I want to play the game), but it should have a service that tells you if the game will work on your machine. This is just one example of how this system could be improved. They should do everything possible to make the software center attractive major software manufacturers; everything possible to get professional tools and major video games released on Ubuntu via the software center, and to make the software center the best possible way to get these kinds of programs. In addition, if they could secure contracts that would make the software center the exclusive means of distribution for the Linux versions of paid software, it would help consolidate Linux users into one distro, and would make Ubuntu the obvious distro of choice for professionals relying on certain programs looking for a different OS (I'm not saying it's nice or in line with FOSS values. I'm just saying it's what Ubuntu should do if they are serious about achieving their long-term goals). Heck, If Ubuntu could get some kind of deal with the Devil (aka: Apple) that tools required for working with the iPad/Pod/Phone will be made to work on Ubuntu, and only Ubuntu, of all distros, I would be in favor of it.

In short, I think Ubuntu needs to perfect it's own interface and be aggressive about making money for itself and those who want to be allied with it. In the end, even if it means getting some nasty exclusive deals, canonical becoming a profitable company will be good for all of the FOSS movement. Money helps stuff move along.

I know it makes me evil, but I love business and strategy. These are my thoughts about what it will take to get Ubuntu where it aims to be. I'm sure Shuttleworth, business wiz-kid that he is, knows all of this much better than I do. The question is whether it goes against his FOSS values or not. Maybe he has an ace up his sleeve that I've never thought of.

I will say that the Ubuntu interface was good enough that I was totally drunk while I did this (and several other things) and it was never a problem. If drunks can use it, you know it works.

P.S. tl;dr

Linuxratty
July 11th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Missing option: bug fixes..

Yes! Especially the NIVIDIA drivers problem.It started for me in Lucid,it's still in Meerkat and Mint 11...Yup,still there.
So this time next year will the video card drivers problem still be annoying people?
Face it, it's stuff like this that prevents people from using Linux or drives them away from it.
Standardization and hardware support are my biggies.

lykwydchykyn
July 12th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Canonical cannot solve all of Linux's hardware issues. That's a Kernel thing, and, though it is a Linux problem, I think it is unsolvable without manufacturer support. Furthermore, I think it can stand to be shelved until Ubuntu has more users. I'm not saying that it's not problem, even a crippling problem, I'm just saying that it needs to get on more machines before a solution can be in sight. OEM's can make the software work on a machine that they want to run Ubuntu. They have guys for that stuff; or, on the other hand, they can build machines out of parts that already work. Peripherals will be worked out when the market makes it worth while.

Totally agree -- especially when it comes to proprietary drivers like Nvidia or some of the wifi bits. I suppose Canonical could hire a few more kernel developers, but as far as the Ubuntu community -- it's not really the place where hardware compatibility development is going to happen.

And frankly, even if Ubuntu worked *perfectly* with every computer in existence, how many people out there are actually interested in installing an after-market OS for their computer/device? Most of the home PC's I've ever helped fix still have all the trial crapware installed because the user is afraid to mess anything up.

But the world is changing, everyone is pushing mobile devices, and few of them run Windows. I think there'd be an opportunity for the OEM that embraces Ubuntu or some other traditional desktop Linux distro.

Think about it: with all the new tablet/mobile OS's coming out, what's the most important differentiation? Applications. With Ubuntu, you've already got thousands of applications ready to roll. Maybe not as much as the iPad/Pod/Phone or even Android -- but definitely it's a better situation than WebOS or WP7.

graabein
August 19th, 2011, 04:29 PM
What I am missing is a first class backup application with a great (and simple) UI. I think someone at Canonical should get together and either continue work on an existing program or develop one on their own.

I want to turn my parents on Ubuntu so I don't have to fix their Windows box and have to do with their complaints as much, so one of the things they really need is a way to backup their pictures to an external drive.

I hope Shotwell gets to be a decent photo manager app. They might use that, I don't know exactly how to easiest import photos from their camera and onto the machine. From there they want to upload some photos to online photo shops (ordering prints and so on). In addition they need to be able to backup the local copies that they don't upload to the online service... so, go do it!

aysiu
August 19th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Drop and forget the whole Bug #1 nonsense. Tell that to Mark Shuttleworth.

PRC09
August 19th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I will say that the Ubuntu interface was good enough that I was totally drunk while I did this (and several other things) and it was never a problem. If drunks can use it, you know it works.

P.S. tl;dr

So I see you worked with the design team!!!:lolflag::lolflag: