PDA

View Full Version : Linux netbook????????

Antarctica32
July 10th, 2011, 01:41 AM
Ok so here's the deal. MY Dad really wants a netbook. I am thinking about getting him one for a surprise. I have done some considerable searching but am a little disappointed. My dad doesn't want anything with windows pre-installed, but if you have to buy it with a windows OS it should be starter cuz he is just gonna install ubuntu. I am looking for something less than $500 with at least 1.5GHz CPU, at least 1 but preferably 2 gbs RAM, Around 10 inch screen (can go much lower, but no higher than 12 inch), no touch screen, and doesn't have to have Bluetooth. I had heard about EEE PCs selling with ubuntu on them but all the ones I could find all had Windows 7 starter. I really need help finding the perfect netbook for my dad. Anybody have any ideas?

mikewhatever
July 10th, 2011, 01:59 AM
If you live in North America:
http://www.system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=105&osCsid=rbreatqant80lt2678cllg6v83
http://zareason.com/shop/Teo-Pro-Netbook.html

If you live in Europe:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/06/five-ubuntu-powered-netbooks-laptops-for-all-budgets/

...and if you are from elsewhere, you might be out of luck.

WinterMadness
July 10th, 2011, 02:28 AM
System 76 has serious issues with dead pixels, and theyre very stringy about fixing them. I actually got a new lcd from them and it also had dead pixels.

The touch pads are erratic, and the one ram slot doesnt work in my laptop. I was going to send it in but im just sick of being without my laptop, ive already sent it in and it took over a month to do something simple :(

LowSky
July 10th, 2011, 02:35 AM
System 76 has serious issues with dead pixels, and theyre very stringy about fixing them. I actually got a new lcd from them and it also had dead pixels.

The touch pads are erratic, and the one ram slot doesnt work in my laptop. I was going to send it in but im just sick of being without my laptop, ive already sent it in and it took over a month to do something simple :(

Wow.. first bad thing I've ever hear bout System76

Lenovo Ideapad S10 series is what I recommend, mine works flawlessly. If you want a Thinkpad, the new Edge line and newer low-end X series are pretty cheap too.

wolfen69
July 10th, 2011, 02:37 AM
I have an Acer Aspire One, and ubuntu works great on it. It's 10.1"

Antarctica32
July 10th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Ok well: I have looked into S76 in the past and have heard a lot of really bad stories about things just not working. As for ZaReason: About 1 year ago I discovered their website and looked around. The only thing with them is that I have never actually talked to someone who has owned one and I have no clue how good they are. As for Lenovo/IBm's IdeaPad/ThinkPad: I love the thinkpad line of laptops. I recently discovered 2 of them in the trash about 4 months ago from about '02 and they both run lucid very well. Lenovo makes really really really nice laptops, but they are designed to run ubuntu, they are a little too big, and they cost a little too much. Right now If i had to decide, it would be the ZaReason Teo Pro.

halibaitor
July 10th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Acer computers tend to have mono audio instead of stereo.

The EEE series you were talking about is probably your best bet. I have a 1015PED-PU17, and I just love that thing. Yes, they come with ******* 7 starter, but that can be fixed. ;-)

There is a very odd quirk however that I will warn you about. If you turn off the WIFI using the Fn-F2 combination and then turn the computer off, the WIFI will still be off when you boot into Ubuntu. :o I'm not sure what that means about completely wiping ******* out and doing a total Ubuntu install. (I'm afraid to find out.)

wizard10000
July 10th, 2011, 02:54 AM
HP Mini 110 here. Works flawlessly.

LowSky
July 10th, 2011, 03:06 AM
HP Mini 110 here. Works flawlessly.

My sister has one and already on her 4th power cord. HP has a serious design flaw over their entire lineup... or maybe just a brilliant money making scheme.

Lenovo are too big? My S10 is just as big as any netbook. and Lenovo's run Linux just fine.

Antarctica32
July 10th, 2011, 03:25 AM
the smallest thinkpad is 11.6 and the smallest ideapad is 10. And there aren't like multiple models for those sizes, just one 11.6 and 1 10. Also Lenovos are really expensive, like the 10.1 starts at 500 bucks. Although I would love to have one of those, I don't think I can get one any time soon.

Antarctica32
July 10th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Ok, now after reading more about the s10-3 I want it more than the others. Turns out you can get them for less from retailers. Anyone know where to get one of these? All the retail websites linked on lenovo's website don't have any

Bandit
July 10th, 2011, 06:01 AM
+1 on the Lenovos and also like to add I have a Dell mini and its works great with Ubuntu, wifi and all right from install.

drawkcab
July 10th, 2011, 06:12 AM
There are a ton of nice, but older, eeepcs out there for under $300 that would do the trick. Just wipe windows and install Linux for him.

BicyclerBoy
July 10th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Older netbooks (atom) use 945GME chipset that uses way to much power & delivers little in return..

The HP mini 110 (old 945GME) works perfectly with 10.10 netbook & 11.04 unity3d but battery life is not great & graphics is intel..

The new zacate/fusion netbooks look good on paper but the AMD driver is still not right.
The nVidia graphics netbooks use more power but they work..

The next gen atom (pine trail) D4xx D5xx uses GMA3150 has better performance & power consumption.

mamamia88
July 10th, 2011, 06:46 AM
I have a samsung n130 with debian installed on it and love it

Antarctica32
July 18th, 2011, 02:35 AM
bump

MasterNetra
July 18th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Its not linux preinstalled but Bestbuy has 2 laptops at 279.99 a Acer - Aspire and a compaq presario, both have 2GB of ram and a 250GB Hard drive. Acer has a 14" screen the compaq a 15.6". Ubuntu might inhabit the Acer happily, but dunno about the compaq. (This is from Bestbuy.com) Though walmart seems to have the same compaq for $2 cheaper, plus I suppose you can save money with a store pickup instead of paying for shipping.

undecim
July 18th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Get a netbook with Windows 7, and get your refund (http://www.linux.com/archive/feed/59381) from Microsoft and put Ubuntu on it with Unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/). That you went the extra step to install Ubuntu for him will add a little personal value to it (you can still repackage it if you're careful about opening it, and put a card in there with it.)

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 19th, 2011, 02:30 AM
I have a Toshiba NB305-N444BN 10.1 inch wide screen netbook with 1.66 GHz 2 threaded N455 processor, 1 GB RAM (upgradeable to 2 GB, maybe more, I haven't looked), 250 GB 5400rpm disk drive (I have seen a 512 GB SSD for it so it can obviously handle more than a 250 GB disk drive), integrated webcam and microphone, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, 6-Cell Battery (8 hours but your experience may vary). It dual boots Windows 7 Starter and the Linux Mint based on Ubuntu 10.04. Ubuntu should run on it. It cost me about $400 after tax last year; so, probably less now. I would be very careful and do research on any Toshiba product before buying it if the intent is to run a Linux distro. I have read about several cases where Toshiba's don't work with Linux. I am very happy with mine; however, I did my research before buying it.