PDA

View Full Version : [other] USB stick problems after installing live USB

chogoria
July 9th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Hi all

I installed Ubuntu 11.04 to a 2Gb USB stick using the Universal USB Installer, as described on the Ubuntu website and was using that memory stick without fault. The only issue being that the size of the drive would show as 1GB.

I have since tried to format the USB stick back to it's original size without success using Windows 7, I only have the option to reformat as a 1GB drive. I have tried multiple utilities including HP USB Drive Storage Format Tool, Bootice and the Windows Disk Management utility.

I chose to post this here as I thought I would have more luck than on a windows foum, as others may have encountered the same problem.

I hope someone can help me?

ashwinikumarbb
October 15th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Yesterday I tried to use the option to install Ubuntu 11.04 to a 16GB pen drive. Although the process could not be completed, how ever it successfully reduced my pen drive's capacity from 16GB to 940MB

varunendra
October 17th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Yesterday I tried to use the option to install Ubuntu 11.04 to a 16GB pen drive. Although the process could not be completed, how ever it successfully reduced my pen drive's capacity from 16GB to 940MB
This thread is quite old now, and your post seems more like a comment rather than a support question. If you are still unable to get that space back, gparted can do it easily for you. It is included on the Live CD.

FYI, it is not a corruption of the USB key, instead just windows' inability to recognize Linux partition (which might have occupied the space). If you have more questions regarding that, I'd suggest to start a new thread of your own.