PDA

View Full Version : Do you block javascript?

Dustin2128
July 9th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I usually block scripts globally, with a few sites whitelisted like ubuntu forums. I was wondering if the rest of you do something similar. It improves speed almost exponentially on older machines, especially pre-pentium 4 era stuff. It can mean the difference between useless junk and a good browsing machine to me. On the other hand, it can cause annoying errors- true story, I tried to submit this thread 10 times but it kept saying to type a message!

Famicube64
July 9th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Blocking all JavaScript seems silly to me. I do, however, use Chrome's plug-in blocker so stuff doesn't start playing automatically. That's so annoying.

markp1989
July 9th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I Tried blocking javascript at the firewall (running astaro) but it broke so many website.

currently I have a flash blocked on chrome, so it doesn't auto play, and any "suspicious" websites blocked at the firewall, the suspicious was a pre made group containing any websites known for Spyware/adware, Parked Domain, Malicious Sites, Spam URLs, Web Ads and Phishing

Aquix
July 9th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I block scripts globally and allow the once I need with NoScript. And then I reset the whitelist every once and then. It's a pain in the beehive, but I also hate seeing facebook scripts all over the internet, and being able to block google and facebook makes it worth it.

Dustin2128
July 9th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Blocking all JavaScript seems silly to me. I do, however, use Chrome's plug-in blocker so stuff doesn't start playing automatically. That's so annoying.

You can whitelist when stuff doesn't work, temporarily or permanently. Blocking javascript speeds up web page loading incredibly, if you're looking for a reason why to do it.

Erik1984
July 9th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Yes. I use NoScripts for that. Although my main reason for running NoScript is to block Flash. I really detest flash ads for their claim on the processor. Not all, but some certainly do! Not only on Linux btw, old Windows machines don't like them either. The reason I have flash installed is that I like to watch some youtube vids every now and then and they are not all available in html5.

Spice Weasel
July 9th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Allowed globally with a blacklist. (Ghostery)

Famicube64
July 9th, 2011, 11:00 PM
You can whitelist when stuff doesn't work, temporarily or permanently. Blocking javascript speeds up web page loading incredibly, if you're looking for a reason why to do it.
Don't worry, I wasn't.

Random_Dude
July 9th, 2011, 11:20 PM
I use NoScript and allow just the stuff that it's needed to get the websites to display what I want.

After started using it, I was amazed by the amount of stuff that lures in the background. Especially facebook, it's everywhere, and I don't even use it.

Cheers :cool:

Erik1984
July 9th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I use NoScript and allow just the stuff that it's needed to get the websites to display what I want.

After started using it, I was amazed by the amount of stuff that lures in the background. Especially facebook, it's everywhere, and I don't even use it.

That's my oservation too. Facebook and Google Analytics are omnipresent, not a big surprise though :p

Bandit
July 9th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I prob should. But I use JS so much it gets annoying when programming AJAX stuff.

msandoy
July 10th, 2011, 12:35 AM
The two first things I install on a fresh Firefox, is NoScript and Addblock plus. The virtual clutter that meets me on an unmodified browser is shocking.

Antarctica32
July 10th, 2011, 01:13 AM
I never block JS. The only reason I have ever heard of for doing this is to speed up your browser. I have never had any real problems with browser speed on my computer so the <script> stays on.:D

Allavona
July 10th, 2011, 01:31 AM
I have enough add-ons to block/stop the annoying stuff. About the only thing I block in Java is window resizing. Well, that and overlays.

northwestuntu
July 10th, 2011, 02:42 AM
ive been thinking about doing this. i already have flash block installed, but might try this and see how it works.

cgroza
July 10th, 2011, 03:38 AM
I have an add blocker, a flash blocker and a javascript blocker installed.
Reduces a lot the flashy/useless content on webpages.

Aquix
July 10th, 2011, 01:11 PM
ive been thinking about doing this. i already have flash block installed, but might try this and see how it works.

NoScript blocks flash, java, silverlight and other plugins. I used flashblock to stop youtub videos autoplaying before but no need for it with NoScript.

juancarlospaco
July 10th, 2011, 04:23 PM
If you want Adobe Flash to dead, you need HTML5 powah,
and HTML5 dont have powah without the JavaScript part,
also theres a better version of JS called CoffeeScript, Js python-like.

linuxforartists
July 11th, 2011, 10:17 AM
My "Holy Trinity" of Firefox add-ons are BetterPrivacy, AdBlock Plus, and NoScript. The first two mostly run in the background and don't disrupt your web browsing experience.

NoScript is heavy-duty, though. I liken it to wearing a bulletproof vest: you'll be protected, but you wouldn't want to wear it all the time. A previous poster said it before, that blocking JavaScript breaks a lot of sites, especially modern web apps with drag-and-drop functionality. A good example is HootSuite.

So I only run NoScript when I'm going to websites that I'm not familiar with. Has anyone ever visited TheChive.com with NoScript enabled? That's the most spyware I've seen on a site so far.

Spice Weasel
July 11th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Has anyone ever visited TheChive.com with NoScript enabled? That's the most spyware I've seen on a site so far.

http://i.imgur.com/K8xch.png

Siddhārtha Gautama! :shock:

Blog and news sites always have the most, for some reason.

Random_Dude
July 11th, 2011, 12:42 PM
So I only run NoScript when I'm going to websites that I'm not familiar with.

You can always allow the things that you want in the sites that you regularly use and are familiar with. Then you can have it turned on all the time (it's what I do).

wrtpeeps
July 11th, 2011, 06:55 PM
If you want Adobe Flash to dead, you need HTML5 powah,
and HTML5 dont have powah without the JavaScript part,
also theres a better version of JS called CoffeeScript, Js python-like.

Coffeescript is not a better version of javascript. It's not a different "version" at all.

It basically provides an alternative syntax and coffeescript code is compiled into standard javascript.

uRock
July 11th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I block globally and only whitelist when I go to a site which I trust.

MrNatewood
July 11th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I used to but it's just too much of a hassle to manage the whitelist.

wrtpeeps
July 11th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I don't block it at all, but I did take delivery yesterday of 100 tin foil hats so I think I'm just about safe. ;)

juancarlospaco
July 11th, 2011, 07:35 PM
is not better

provides an alternative syntax

So its better; thanks for pointing that iam correct.

wrtpeeps
July 12th, 2011, 01:00 PM
So its better; thanks for pointing that iam correct.

You said it was better than javascript. It is javascript.

FuturePilot
July 12th, 2011, 03:09 PM
NoScript

nmaster
July 12th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I use the Ghostery plugin: http://www.ghostery.com/

i needed to take google +1 off the default blacklist, but otherwise its quite nice. it gives me some peace of mind.

BrokenKingpin
July 12th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Nope, I just run Ad Block. I have never really seen the need to block javascript. Any site I come across that is doing something so horrible with javascript that I feel the need to block it, I just do not use that site.