PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Tablet Mockup

Purplerob
July 9th, 2011, 06:44 PM
It could be called Tabuntu :P.

This is a quick mockup of what ubuntu could look like on a Tablet. If Ubuntu gained a tablet version then the desktop version would only focus on desktops.
http://ubuntuone.com/p/13bc/

Santaji
July 9th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Tablets and touch screen devices are the future of computing. A Ubuntu tablet edition is a good idea.

Aquix
July 9th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Tabuntu or maybe Tubuntu, or BuntuTab. :)

It has struck me that unity is going in the tablet direction.

Bandit
July 9th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Tablets and touch screen devices are the future of computing. A Ubuntu tablet edition is a good idea.

Netbook edition should start moving in that direction because that where netbook hardware is heading anyway.

Dustin2128
July 9th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I was actually thinking of an ubuntu tablet back in '08, '09- back when tablets were mostly just laptops retrofitted with a touch screen. I basically just removed the panels, put a dock along the side, and made everything run in fullscreen. Not too different than the end result of unity.

jerenept
July 9th, 2011, 09:52 PM
A four-finger sideways swipe opens the launcher btw.

Lucradia
July 10th, 2011, 02:52 AM

Future of non-gaming computing, yes.

Purplerob
July 10th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Don't forget windows 8 is made for tablets. That will mean that tablets will be pushed into "real computing" rather then "mobile computing". Ubuntu should be ready before windows comes.

DESTROY ALL WINDOWS. :-P lol

But if ubuntu goes into tablets there could be a good chance windows 8 failing, creating more open market! Right now there are 5 major tablet systems. I OS, Android, QNX (RIM version), webos and windows. 2 are linux based (android and web os) 3 are not. If Ubuntu joined half would be linux bases!

sarcasmrules
July 15th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Unity is made for tablets, but the Ubuntu default theme really isn't. I cannot comprehend how difficult it must be to press those dinky window buttons with sausage fingers ;)

Roasted
July 15th, 2011, 10:31 PM

When did Steve Jobs register to UbuntuForums.org?

Unity is made for tablets, but the Ubuntu default theme really isn't. I cannot comprehend how difficult it must be to press those dinky window buttons with sausage fingers ;)

Mark Shuttleworth has specifically said Unity is not made for tablets. It can however be set up to run on tablets, pending some major changes to optimize it in that direction. Currently I don't think Ubuntu is striving for tablets. It would be nice to be able to install it on an Asus Transformer or something similar that is a practical tablet with a keyboard dock, though.

Shpongle
July 15th, 2011, 11:06 PM

It would have to have an android execution environment to stand any chance of market penetration aside from foss enthusiasts.

wijit
April 7th, 2012, 06:20 AM

Tablet panels have been around for a long time. Today we have a touchpad on every laptop/notebook. An LCD screen with a transparent tablet panel or a touchpad on top wouldn't be an innovation. Making Ubuntu a table OS shouldn't be a big deal since what we need is just an extension of the interface that we've already had.
I just came out of my very busy time and wanted to spend this relaxed time as useful as possible. Before this I was looking for a tablet panel to replace a white board and make presentation to go in harmony with my explanation when doing my lecture. However, I found none that was built for Linux. Anyway, since, at the moment, my laptop showed a sign of its EOL and I've heard that the new set of laptops for lecturers was on the way, I decided to stop digging for the gadget. I hope that I will have a chance to get a new touch screen one. That is why I'm here. Thanks to Ubuntu and all good friends.