PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu freezes on start with new GPU

ThunderBubble
July 9th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Hi all,
I recently upgraded my ubuntu desktop's video card. All went well until I installed it's driver, when I rebooted I got stuck on a black screen with an unresponsive mouse just before the login screen. Right now half of the time I get stuck on the black screen and the other half I can run 'buntu, with artifacts, for about a minute before it freezes and I have to force shut down

Thanks in advance,
TB

gordintoronto
July 9th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Did you install the driver through Additional Drivers?

What version of Ubuntu? What was the old video card, and what is the new one?

ThunderBubble
July 9th, 2011, 10:19 PM
This is the first video card I'm installing on the PC. Specs:

TA 880GB+ motherboard
AMD Athlon II 250
XFX radeon HD 5750

Ubuntu version 10.10. Sorry, forgot to include this in the first post.

ThunderBubble
July 9th, 2011, 11:52 PM
I've now tried installing both from additional drivers and from the ATI website. Both give me artifacts as soon as I get to the login screen and a lockup after about 30 seconds.

MAFoElffen
July 10th, 2011, 12:56 AM
What version of Ubuntu? What was the old video card, and what is the new one?

This is the first video card I'm installing on the PC. Specs:

<<BIOSTAR>> TA 880GB+ motherboard
AMD Athlon II 250
XFX radeon HD 5750

Ubuntu version 10.10. Sorry, forgot to include this in the first post.
@gordintoronto

Not jumping in... Just an observation and hint to speed things up for you, here is his original graphics on that motherboard: (So you two don't have to figure it out)

ATI Hybrid Graphics Support (integrated/onboard)--
F7 is the native hotkey to switch between the AMD Chipset's integrated graphics processor and a discrete GPU (ATI Radeon™ HD 2400 Series ATI Radeon™ HD 3400 Series)Have fun...

Edit-- Oh yes, almost forgot the "hint" part... The Catalyst driver has enough of a challenge going hybred with 2 chipsets... adding a third chipset? Well, he's going to have to ensure that both onboard chipsets are disabled for the AMD Catalyst driver to see just the new card. <<Gone now>>

ThunderBubble
July 10th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Wait, BOTH onboard chipsets? I was only aware of one, the radeon hd 4250. Ubuntu worked fine with only that video card, before and after I installed the additional drivers.

ThunderBubble
July 11th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Ideas, anyone? This is driving me crazy. I'm trying a clean install of 11.04 later, we'll see how that goes.

Edit: Didn't work. Still get artifacts and crashes after installing amd's driver. No artifacts and stable but not much acceleration without the driver.