PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] uprade from ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04 64bit help

AgentZ86
July 9th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Hi

I want to click the upgrade button in the updates screen but am nervous about it.

Things are working smooth and good for now.

The question is that if I upgrade will all my current setting remain like my network shortcuts, and my packages that are installed.

Will all those packages and plugins still be working or will I have to fix em all up again ?

Please advise thanks

mrgs
July 9th, 2011, 12:43 PM
In theory everything will work in the new release, but reality is that an online upgrade often breaks the system.

Do you have any particular need for the new release?

YesWeCan
July 9th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Hi

I want to click the upgrade button in the updates screen but am nervous about it.

Things are working smooth and good for now.

The question is that if I upgrade will all my current setting remain like my network shortcuts, and my packages that are installed.

Will all those packages and plugins still be working or will I have to fix em all up again ?

Please advise thanks
There are only two ways to do it: online upgrade and fresh install. The latter will definitely require you to set a lot of stuff up again.
I have read some reports of problem with distribution upgrades but I have never experienced any myself and this is the method that Canonical recommends. Of course, back up anything vital before you start.

YesWeCan
July 9th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Do you have any particular need for the new release?
I agree with this question. I'm still using 10.10 because it is more reliable than 11.04.

AgentZ86
July 11th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Hmmmm, things to consider.

I don't really have anything critical on here, I am running SME server so everything is stored on the server with soft raid mirrored drives etc.

So maybe I can give things a try should not be too hard to reload if it fails.