PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nautilus not working

Channi
July 9th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Hi friends,
I installed many software on my PC today, after that nautilus stopped working. It gives the error about GTK:

channi@channi ~ $ nautilus

Gtk-ERROR **: GTK+ 2.x symbols detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported
aborting...
Aborted

Though I have changed default file manager to Dolphin now, but I want to know the solution and probable reason of this problem.
Any idea friends.....??

koleoptero
July 9th, 2011, 11:20 AM
It looks like you must have added a ppa or something that has upgraded nautilus to the gnome3 version but hasn't done the same for all the needed libraries? Or some nautilus extension perhaps? You should review what you've changed in your software more closely for this.

Channi
July 9th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I did an upgrade

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
after installing Amarok and Kdevelop in Ubuntu 11.04.

Channi
July 9th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I also installed unity2D but then removed it using

sudo aptitude purge unity
I am using gnome 2.X as my Desktop

koleoptero
July 9th, 2011, 04:09 PM
If it's just those things then I don't know what could cause nautilus to stop working. You can try deleting the nautilus preferences in your home folder by deleting the .nautilus hidden folder. And if that doesn't work then perhaps reinstalling it from synaptic.

I'm sorry I can't be of more specific help but that's the first time I see such an error.

Channi
July 9th, 2011, 04:11 PM
All right, thanks for giving your time......:)

Channi
July 10th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Reinstalling nautilus solved the problem but now Nautilus starts with an ugly interface. Any suggestions to solve this ??

koleoptero
July 10th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Reinstalling nautilus solved the problem but now Nautilus starts with an ugly interface. Any suggestions to solve this ??

You probably just had to kill nautilus and start it again. I imagine by the time you read this you'll have solved it. If it doesn't fix the problem try running gnome-settings-daemon and then killing nautilus again.