PDA

View Full Version : Contactless payment cards

Condor Cluster
July 9th, 2011, 09:31 AM
My bank is issuing everybody credit/debit cards that you can make payments just by wiping then in front of scanners. The are forcing these on people whether you like it or not.

I really don't like the idea of this. as I've already been hit with card fraud a couple of times (cashpoint - lebanese loop I think). They say its secure etc, but thats bs, all they (banks/shops) care about is making money. I also don't like the idea that you can be tracked entering/leaving places too. Its all very 1984, won't be long before we all get RFID chips in our arms, or barcode tattoos! lol

Anyway, my question is how would I go about 'destroying' the aerial or whatever is in these cards, but leaving the chip & pin, and mag strip intact, so I can still use the card?

Cheers

mimiteto
July 9th, 2011, 09:44 AM
It's not possible...
And those cards are real security holes. I mean, there is no approval for spending money under certain amount (25 bucks at my country), and the limit was about 100 transactions of those for day... So, the option is to change the bank. This way u can show 'em that u don't agree, AND they r losing clients(money), so there is hope to revert this ****** policy ;)

CharlesA
July 9th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Just get an RFID blocking wallet (http://www.google.com/#q=RFID+blocking+wallet&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=7y0YTo7pAYmosQPlgvzDDQ&ved=0CHQQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=872e23e8f43f573e&biw=1252&bih=720) and be done with it.

I used to have a couple cards from Chase with that "wave and pay" thing, but I've since switched banks...

Condor Cluster
July 9th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Unfortunately, I think all banks will start doing this now, as they always seem to do things in packs.

Might just make a tin foil cover for it or something.

Oh how much I loathe the financial institutions.... :(

LowSky
July 9th, 2011, 02:05 PM
stop complaining...

cash and checks are still accepted everywhere. keep the cards at home.
And those no sign purchases, you can call your card company and dispute them easily.

adammarleymtts
July 9th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Contactless payment systems are credit cards and debit cards, key fobs, smartcards or other devices which use RFID for making secure payments.This will be helpful.

sea_dawg
July 9th, 2011, 02:40 PM
The only solutions for using RFID cards safely are the RFID blocking wallet or leave the cards at home.

I suggest changing to a credit union. In a credit union you are an owner. They are more open to listening to their owners than commercial banks are to listening to their customers. Tell them when you open the account you don't want RFID cards.

Issues of RFID card security aside I much prefer credit unions over banks. Credit unions are for the most part run by honest people. Bankers on the other hand are nothing but thieves with coats and ties.

If you can't find a credit union or bank that will issue non RFID cards you'll have to develop the habit of checking your transactions several times per week.

Dr. C
July 9th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Just get an RFID blocking wallet (http://www.google.com/#q=RFID+blocking+wallet&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=7y0YTo7pAYmosQPlgvzDDQ&ved=0CHQQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=872e23e8f43f573e&biw=1252&bih=720) and be done with it.

I used to have a couple cards from Chase with that "wave and pay" thing, but I've since switched banks...

Yes shielding the cards solves this problem. One can buy a RFID wallet, buy a protective sleeve, or simply wrap the card in aluminum foil as RMS did with his conference badge to address this issue back in 2005. http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-92120.html.

I actually have two RFID credit cards and a RFID Enhanced Driver's License and use a RFID wallet to shield them.

Erik1984
July 9th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I hope these payment cards don't make use of the Mifare Classic chip http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIFARE#MIFARE_Classic