PDA

View Full Version : Why is programming not taught in schools

createdcreature
July 9th, 2011, 07:49 AM
It's like learning to read but not write!

linuxman94
July 9th, 2011, 08:01 AM
My school offers a year long class called "Computer operations and programming." In fact i'm taking it next year! Here's the course description from our course catalog.

Computer Operations & Programming is designed to
develop computer programming and program design
skills through the use of various procedural and
objectoriented programming languages such as Visual Basic, C,
C++, Java and Small Talk. Students will learn techniques
to help with system analysis and design, as well as
gaining knowledge of the systems development life cycle.
Instruction will include basic programming structures that
are common to many programming languages, including
output statements, constants, assignment statements, input
statements, string and numeric variable types, conditional,
and branching and looping control structures. Students
will learn programming techniques such as counting,
averaging, rounding and the use of random numbers to
develop a good programming style. Students will apply
what they learn to create programs and applications that
solve real world business related problems. Students will
create programs to store, locate, and retrieve specific
documents, data and information.
Students will gain valuable experience in logical problem
solving and structured programming. The student will learn to
develop program solutions using event-driven procedures and
structured.

createdcreature
July 9th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I prefer C to C++.;)

createdcreature
July 9th, 2011, 08:29 AM
BASIC=ZX Spectrum. Java=always needing to update it.

lisati
July 9th, 2011, 08:31 AM
BASIC=ZX Spectrum. Java=always needing to update it.

"BASIC" might be ZX spectrum, but "basic" is a bit more rudimentary. There's even versions of BASIC that work with Ubuntu!

linuxman94
July 9th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Haha good point about java.

computer: "You have an out of date version of java. Please upgrade to the latest version"
You: "I just updated it yesterday!"

Edit: 300th post! :D

Edit1: Dang lost it when it went to cafe.

Elfy
July 9th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

haqking
July 9th, 2011, 10:06 AM
i did assembler and basic back in both middle school and more involved in high school.

My 12 year old daughter currently is using Basic 256 at her school.

CraigPaleo
July 9th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Edit: 300th post! :D

You lost it when it was moved to the Cafe. :(

Erik1984
July 9th, 2011, 10:18 AM
"BASIC" might be ZX spectrum, but "basic" is a bit more rudimentary. There's even versions of BASIC that work with Ubuntu!

True. FreeBASIC is a nice one. I was happily surprised that I could just take my FB sourcefiles from Windows and compile them on Ubuntu without much trouble.

8_Bit
July 9th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Programming was taught in my high school. But the class was a joke. The teacher learned programming decades ago and he admitted his expertise was with Fortran and Basic, and C++ was something he was not an expert on. I actually had to correct him many times a week and he even sought my help on certain lessons. He was the only programming teacher in the school, for hundreds of students. And most of the classtime was spent by most of the students playing Flash games online and wasting time. (Which the teacher tried to discipline them for, but eventually just gave up and turned a blind eye to. Otherwise he would have had to send 99% of the students to the principal's office and would have had a nearly empty class.)

andamaru
July 9th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Programming was taught in my high school. But the class was a joke. The teacher learned programming decades ago and he admitted his expertise was with Fortran and Basic, and C++ was something he was not an expert on. I actually had to correct him many times a week and he even sought my help on certain lessons. He was the only programming teacher in the school, for hundreds of students. And most of the classtime was spent by most of the students playing Flash games online and wasting time. (Which the teacher tried to discipline them for, but eventually just gave up and turned a blind eye to. Otherwise he would have had to send 99% of the students to the principal's office and would have had a nearly empty class.)

+1

I don't know the last time you were in a high school programming class or any class for that matter, but you can just force students to take a class and expect them to learn. If life worked like that we would all be experts in history, math, and English

createdcreature
July 9th, 2011, 05:04 PM
C is the best language in the world. DirectX is MS, so no Linux DirectX here!

cgroza
July 9th, 2011, 06:03 PM
No one mentioned DirectX as far as I know. No offence, but you give the impression that you are a bot.

Elfy
July 9th, 2011, 06:12 PM

Why the reference to directx?

Trolling, Attacks and Flaming: These are always forbidden.

Trolling is posting in a way that provokes emotional responses.

markp1989
July 9th, 2011, 06:25 PM
I wouldn't like to see programming compulsory in schools as its not a needed skill for most people, maybe an introductory lesson or something could be beneficial to those intending to study it at a higher level later on.

also, if detailed computing of any kind was compulsory than it would reduce the amount of pay/business that computing professionals can get.

I think there are a lot more important skills that should be taught, how to change a tyre, how to correctly wire a plug etc that should be taught in schools

Dustin2128
July 9th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Some pretty basic javascript and php was taught at my high school. I also had to correct the teacher, who's primary language was COBOL ;).

createdcreature
July 9th, 2011, 06:54 PM
The best languages are C, C++, and Java

Dustin2128
July 9th, 2011, 07:05 PM
What about lisp and python?

cgroza
July 9th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I think there are a lot more important skills that should be taught, how to change a tyre, how to correctly wire a plug etc that should be taught in schools
Common sense should be enough for those.:D

cgroza
July 9th, 2011, 07:08 PM
The best languages are C, C++, and Java
Do you mind bringing actual arguments to support your statement?

markp1989
July 9th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Common sense should be enough for those.:D

I wish it was, I volunteer in a electrical charity shop, i have lost count of the amount of products given to use with a miss wired plug, fuse bypassed or the earth wire cut its pretty scary.

maybe common sense should be taught in schools :p

createdcreature
July 9th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Probably because people think its complicated, but if you think of it as reading and not writing it makes sense.

WinterMadness
July 9th, 2011, 07:48 PM
they taught c++ when i was in highschool

haqking
July 9th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Do you mind bringing actual arguments to support your statement?

There is no best language whatever the arguments, the arguments can only be opinions.

The which is best language has been done a thousand times and there is no answer, it is purely a personal thing.

Personally i love the simplistic complexity of C ;-)

WinterMadness
July 10th, 2011, 12:14 AM
the arguments can only be opinions.

it is purely a personal thing.

Thats not true in the slightest, everyone knows COBOL is the worst language.