PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Keyboard Direct Input Languages

canundrum69
July 9th, 2011, 05:19 AM
I have been a Windows User since the stone ages.
In recent years I have decided that my newest hobby would be to try and learn a new language. (Japanese was the lucky pick).

Windows has a wonderful tool built in that helps me greatly with My Character recognition (Hiragana, Katakana etc.) as well as converting my choppy americanized Romaji into Kanji etc.

When Activeated the Microsoft Language Bar allows me, with a simple keystroke to switch the input of whichever text editor I am in to Japanese allowing me to type in romanized characters from my keyboard and translating the input to Kana

so arigato becomes ありがと

I am wondering if something like this exists for Ubuntu or can be easily installed.
The thing I am most concerned about is ease of use that it can be applied in one window but doesn't take over all of my running apps and programs while it is active.

Thanks in advance for any help or information.

Jack Brown
September 7th, 2011, 07:48 PM
hi!

Here's something that might help:

http://www.pinyinjoe.com/linux/ubuntu-11-chinese-setup.htm

that site also has setup for other versions of ubuntu.
straightforward and useful stuff

UpdateEdit: Yup. Using instructions from the link and just adding japanese from the keyboard icon preferences in the panel works. Specifically using Japanese - anthy (m17n). works on openoffice 3.2 on ubuntu 10.04.

ありがと!! ばんざい!! すきやき。っすし。さしみ。

Got carried away. :)

canundrum69
September 9th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Thanx .... That was EXACTLY! What I was looking for

hi!

Here's something that might help:

http://www.pinyinjoe.com/linux/ubuntu-11-chinese-setup.htm

that site also has setup for other versions of ubuntu.
straightforward and useful stuff

UpdateEdit: Yup. Using instructions from the link and just adding japanese from the keyboard icon preferences in the panel works. Specifically using Japanese - anthy (m17n). works on openoffice 3.2 on ubuntu 10.04.

ありがと!! ばんざい!! すきやき。っすし。さしみ。

Got carried away. :)

Jack Brown
September 27th, 2011, 05:48 AM
You're very welcome. :)

Please mark your thread as solved.

(Click on 'thread tools' at the top of this thread, and select Mark this Thread As Solved)

Cheers!