PDA

View Full Version : Sould I use a email client?

benc1213
July 9th, 2011, 04:56 AM
Would it be better to use an email client such as thunderbird instead of the gmail web client? If so would it be better to use POP3 or IMAP.

OldBoy44
July 9th, 2011, 05:00 AM
From my experience, Thunderbird practically forces you to use IMAP! :)

I don't have any issues with that however.

benc1213
July 9th, 2011, 05:04 AM
From my experience, Thunderbird practically forces you to use IMAP! :)

I don't have any issues with that however.

Should I use a client? Why use it over the gmail client?

lincoln32
July 9th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Pros and cons to both. do you want to keep emails on your pc for offline reading or use or pure convenience of online only. I use both personal on line and work in evolution

OldBoy44
July 9th, 2011, 05:07 AM
I have a Gmail account but my main account is Thunderbird which I am very happy with! ;)

Dustin2128
July 9th, 2011, 05:12 AM
I use evolution with gmail, personally. I find it quite a bit faster than gmail's web interface on machines older than a pentium D, and infinitely faster on machines older than a pentium 4.

wolfen69
July 9th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Should I use a client? Why use it over the gmail client?

When you have 6 different email addresses, it's nice to be able to click once and check them all. Even if I only had 2, I would use Tbird.

benc1213
July 9th, 2011, 07:03 AM
When you have 6 different email addresses, it's nice to be able to click once and check them all. Even if I only had 2, I would use Tbird.

Should I still use it even if I have one?

wolfen69
July 9th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Should I still use it even if I have one?

If you only have one, I would just stay with web-based. You can set it for autologin, and check it pretty quick. I don't see a need for tbird.

Megaptera
July 9th, 2011, 07:24 AM
If you only have one, I would just stay with web-based. You can set it for autologin, and check it pretty quick. I don't see a need for tbird.

+ 1 to that :p

lisati
July 9th, 2011, 07:38 AM
When I only had one email address (many years ago) and used someone else's connection to check it, I was happy to use webmail. These days, I have several email accounts, and usually find it more convenient to use a client. For most I use IMAP with Evolution.

Random_Dude
July 9th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I use thunderbird with IMAP.
It keeps your emails backed up online and you don't have to open your webrowser to check them.

I like it this way, it warns you when you get a new email, without opening the browser from time to time. It's especially good if you have multiple email accounts and want to see the incoming emails on all of them.

Just try it, when you get used to it you probably won't go back. ;)

Cheers :cool:

benc1213
July 9th, 2011, 09:23 AM
I use thunderbird with IMAP.
It keeps your emails backed up online and you don't have to open your webrowser to check them.

I like it this way, it warns you when you get a new email, without opening the browser from time to time. It's especially good if you have multiple email accounts and want to see the incoming emails on all of them.

Just try it, when you get used to it you probably won't go back. ;)

I might try it but I am mainly in my browser anyway.

KingYaba
July 9th, 2011, 09:25 AM
With 6+ e-mail addresses Thunderbird is the way to go. I don't have to log in all those times...

CharlesA
July 9th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I've been using POP3 for a a long while now and don't really feel like switching to IMAP, since I've got everything organized the way I want it and I don't want to mess anything up.

Using Thunderbird with gmail btw.

VCoolio
July 9th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I do. Pros: I don't depend on an internet connection to check stuff sent earlier by mail, and it doesn't have ads. Cons: you need to have stuff installed and it takes disk space. Pros win.

Pogeymanz
July 9th, 2011, 01:48 PM
If you do choose to use a client, use IMAP. POP3 just doesn't make sense to me these days. With POP you have to eventually use the web interface to delete stuff if your mailbox gets full. This kills the point of using a client for me.

Even with one email address, there are some pros and maybe a couple of cons.

Pros:
It automatically checks your email however often you want and then notifies you if you have a new message. Now, getting an email is more like getting an IM or a phone call.

You can do email stuff without opening a web browser. My mind is very easily distracted, so having a window open that is just email helps me accomplish that task.

You can customize the layout however you want, and Thunderbird has some interesting plugins. You can't customize a webmail interface.

Cons:
You'll have an extra app open all the time. If your computer struggles with memory, this could be a problem.

...That's about it...

haqking
July 9th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Evolution and IMAP. or Thunderbird and IMAP

As for using web based, it has its merits but primarily for being able to access it from any machine where ever you are presuming you have internet connectivity.

With a local client you still have access to your mail when offline, plus the client usually has alot more featurs for you to customise your mail outside of the web client.

Random_Dude
July 9th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Cons:
You'll have an extra app open all the time. If your computer struggles with memory, this could be a problem.

He could always use mutt or alpine. :p
Not that good-looking (if you dislike CLI), and mutt is a pain to configure. Although alpine is pretty simple.

Erik1984
July 9th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I do. Pros: I don't depend on an internet connection to check stuff sent earlier by mail, and it doesn't have ads. Cons: you need to have stuff installed and it takes disk space. Pros win.

And in case you remove the mail from the server you are responsible for backups.

Tibuda
July 9th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Just use Gmail. It is better than any client available.

Even if you have many mail accounts, you can make one Gmail account to read them all using POP.

aysiu
July 9th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Just use Gmail. It is better than any client available. No, it isn't.

Even if you have many mail accounts, you can make one Gmail account to read them all using POP. But if you do, you won't be able to force-check for new messages with the other accounts without clicking through about three different menus.

Gmail: click settings > mail settings > accounts and import > Check mail now > Inbox

v.

Thunderbird: click Get Mail

More importantly, it can be done only through POP and not IMAP, so if you delete messages, you'll still have to go to the original server and delete the messages there, too... or just always delete off the server, which is annoying because that means the only place you can access those messages is through Gmail.

I can also sort messages more quickly in an email client than in Gmail.

Look if Gmail is better for you, that's great. Use it. It's not just better for everyone. People have different preferences. Use what works for you.

Tibuda
July 9th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Look if Gmail is better for you, that's great. Use it. It's not just better for everyone. People have different preferences. Use what works for you.

Agreed. I have not said it is better for everyone. You don't have to attack me.

undecim
July 9th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I keep thunderbird in the background (using alltray) so that my emails are available offline, but use the Gmail interface whenever I have an internet connection.

Tibuda
July 9th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I keep thunderbird in the background (using alltray) so that my emails are available offline, but use the Gmail interface whenever I have an internet connection.

Check this: http://gears.google.com/

benc1213
July 9th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Check this: http://gears.google.com/

It doesn't support Firefox 5...

wizard10000
July 9th, 2011, 11:08 PM
I use claws-mail to archive mail plus it's a reasonably competent newsreader and not nearly as bloated as thunderbird or evolution.

I do most of my real mail work using gmail's webmail but once a week or so I grab the mail with claws-mail and archive it.

Tibuda
July 9th, 2011, 11:15 PM
It doesn't support Firefox 5...

It is dead for a year. They say html5 can do that.

koleoptero
July 10th, 2011, 12:30 AM
I was using evolution for all but my gmail account. Now I have setup everything to go into gmail and be tagged properly upon arrival so that I can easily check them without getting confused. Also I've set up gmail so I can send emails from there with the other accounts too. This way I have the same mail client with the same contents even if I am in my windows partition or another computer entirely.

benc1213
July 10th, 2011, 04:16 AM
I was using evolution for all but my gmail account. Now I have setup everything to go into gmail and be tagged properly upon arrival so that I can easily check them without getting confused. Also I've set up gmail so I can send emails from there with the other accounts too. This way I have the same mail client with the same contents even if I am in my windows partition or another computer entirely.

Bump

jerenept
July 10th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Would it be better to use an email client such as thunderbird instead of the gmail web client? If so would it be better to use POP3 or IMAP.

I personally use Evolution and KMail.

aysiu
July 10th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Agreed. I have not said it is better for everyone. You don't have to attack me.
I wasn't attacking you. I was taking issue with you just simply declaring Gmail as better.

vinayaksawant
July 10th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Using email client is always better as it is faster and smart way to manage your emails.
with email client you can to batching such Important, unread, read, Spam, which generally
web client does not provide.
so my opinion is use email client is best.

donniezazen
July 10th, 2011, 06:54 AM
I have forwarded my official email to my gmail and use gmail+smtp to reply.

The only reason to use thunderbird is it's clean interface. My greatest frustration has been no support of gmail like threading. If you often subscribe to blogs comment or forum. You do not want same email to show up 20 times. All mail doesn't work. I would really love a compact interface as screen size is limited. 2 inches of sender information is just ugly.

Gmail flaunts some sexy features. So, if that's the only email you use stick to webmail.

Erik1984
July 10th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I personally use Evolution and KMail.

Both of them a the same time? Or on different machines?

koleoptero
July 10th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I wasn't attacking you. I was taking issue with you just simply declaring Gmail as better.

But gmail is better. :P

Irihapeti
July 10th, 2011, 11:28 AM
If you do choose to use a client, use IMAP. POP3 just doesn't make sense to me these days. With POP you have to eventually use the web interface to delete stuff if your mailbox gets full. This kills the point of using a client for me.

I have to say that this is news to me, and I've been using POP for over 4 years now. (My ISP doesn't do IMAP.)

As I understand it, you need to make sure that your settings delete messages on server, either immediately or after a certain length of time.

Whether or not to use an email client depends on your situation and personal preferences. I use Thunderbird because I was originally on dialup and downloading emails was a lot quicker than going online with a browser, and having to wade through graphics and ads etc. I also like the idea of having my emails offline and accessible at any time. I think that could be very useful if the internet connection was erratic for any reason.

benc1213
July 10th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I have to say that this is news to me, and I've been using POP for over 4 years now. (My ISP doesn't do IMAP.)

As I understand it, you need to make sure that your settings delete messages on server, either immediately or after a certain length of time.

Whether or not to use an email client depends on your situation and personal preferences. I use Thunderbird because I was originally on dialup and downloading emails was a lot quicker than going online with a browser, and having to wade through graphics and ads etc. I also like the idea of having my emails offline and accessible at any time. I think that could be very useful if the internet connection was erratic for any reason.

Yeah I decided to try out Thunderbird and I am really liking it. The only thing I will miss is the chat but I can always use pidgin. I don't use the chat much anyways.

sujoy
July 10th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Another important thing for me is that I write mails pretty frequently and hence a quality editor is almost of top priority for me.

Hence, GNUS.

Tibuda
July 10th, 2011, 01:58 PM

That's my opinion. I can't simply say it?

Dry Lips
July 10th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I recommend that you use an email client such as Thunderbird,
because then you also have the opportunity to get PGP encryption
by installing an add-on such as Enigmail.

There is currently only one provider of webmail that offers encryption,
namely hushmail, but all in all I'd say using Thunderbird is the
better option.

malspa
July 10th, 2011, 04:28 PM
But gmail is better. :P

:lol:

Well, it's better for me, too. Just makes it easier for accessing my emails from different machines and different distros. Haven't bothered with a client for a few years now.

aysiu
July 10th, 2011, 05:14 PM
That's my opinion. I can't simply say it? You can, and I can simply disagree with it. That doesn't mean I'm attacking you.

As I understand it, you need to make sure that your settings delete messages on server, either immediately or after a certain length of time. But that's the difference between POP and IMAP. With POP you have to decide to either leave the messages on the server or delete them off the server. With IMAP the messages will delete off the server only if you delete messages (move them to the trash and empty the trash).

cgroza
July 10th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Another important thing for me is that I write mails pretty frequently and hence a quality editor is almost of top priority for me.

Hence, GNUS.
and emacs...

Irihapeti
July 10th, 2011, 11:20 PM
But that's the difference between POP and IMAP. With POP you have to decide to either leave the messages on the server or delete them off the server. With IMAP the messages will delete off the server only if you delete messages (move them to the trash and empty the trash).

The poster I was replying to said that you have to log in and delete them with a web client. That appeared to be a serious objection to an email client. I would agree if that were true, but it isn't. Both Thunderbird and Evolution can delete POP messages from the server, and no doubt others can as well.

I might prefer IMAP, but I don't have the choice unless I shift email providers.

zerubbabel
July 10th, 2011, 11:45 PM
I have forwarded my official email to my gmail and use gmail+smtp to reply.

The only reason to use thunderbird is it's clean interface. My greatest frustration has been no support of gmail like threading. If you often subscribe to blogs comment or forum. You do not want same email to show up 20 times. All mail doesn't work. I would really love a compact interface as screen size is limited. 2 inches of sender information is just ugly.

Gmail flaunts some sexy features. So, if that's the only email you use stick to webmail.

Gmail-style threading is available in the Thunderbird Conversations add-on available here (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/gmail-conversation-view/).

zerubbabel
July 10th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Just use Gmail. It is better than any client available.

Even if you have many mail accounts, you can make one Gmail account to read them all using POP.

Yeah, and it even eavesdrops on all your communications for clues on how to target you with advertising. :( No thanks!

donniezazen
July 10th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Gmail-style threading is available in the Thunderbird Conversations add-on available here (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/gmail-conversation-view/).

Yeah i meddled with all these addons but none of the work as good as gmail's native threading.

benc1213
July 11th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Bump. I am really enjoying using Thunderbird. I decided to use some homestarrunner sounds for when I get new mail. :)