PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] File-Sharing Between Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

Jesdisciple
July 9th, 2011, 04:02 AM
I'm trying to upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04 via Unetbootin, but for some reason I can never download an uncorrupted ISO. I have Windows 7 on a separate computer (It's for work, I promise! :p) so I decided to try downloading on that and it worked. But my only available USB drive isn't large enough for the transfer, so I'm trying to set up file-sharing which, from the coverage I've seen in forums and articles, shouldn't be very difficult. But I don't even have the two seeing each other.

So if I could have help setting it up on the Ubuntu end that would be great. If someone can help with Windows that would be nice too, but I have no problems with going to a Windows forum for that. (I'm just using 7's inbuilt support for sharing, as that seems like standard practice and I couldn't find a Samba client for recent Windows versions.)

In network:/// I find an inode called "Windows Network" which leads to smb:///. This further contains an inode named "WORKGROUP," but trying to open it renders a message that "Unable to mount location - Failed to retrieve share list from server." Windows just doesn't list any neighbors. Help!

$ findsmb

*=DMB
+=LMB
IP ADDR NETBIOS NAME WORKGROUP/OS/VERSION
---------------------------------------------------------------------
192.168.1.69 JESDISCIPLE-LAP [WORKGROUP] [Unix] [Samba 3.4.0]
$ sudo iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

pastalavista
July 9th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Open Synaptic Package Manager, search for 'samba', and make sure you have all the necessary components installed, especially 'winbind'

Jesdisciple
July 9th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I got seven packages returned as results for that search, including those you listed. For completeness, I got them via the terminal so I can paste them. Interestingly, smbclient and libwbclient0 were not common to the two searches, so I listed both here.
$ aptitude search '~i' | grep -i samba
i libpam-smbpass - pluggable authentication module for Samba
i libwbclient0 - Samba winbind client library
i python-smbc - Python bindings for Samba clients (libsmbc
i samba - SMB/CIFS file, print, and login server for
i samba-common - common files used by both the Samba server
i samba-common-bin - common files used by both the Samba server
i smbclient - command-line SMB/CIFS clients for Unix
i A winbind - Samba nameservice integration server

Jesdisciple
July 12th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I found my larger USB drive, so I don't need Samba yet. I might try again after updating Ubuntu. The larger issue continues here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1802748).