PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] RT5370 STA USB wireless adapter driver installation

TubaDaddy8
July 8th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I am also trying to install a wireless driver, but mine is for the Ralink 5370 USB wireless adapter. Do you have some patches for that driver, and could you show me how to install the driver? Thanks!

Here are the results for terminal commands. I only included the device in question:

lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp.

uname -r
2.6.38-8-generic

chili555
July 8th, 2011, 08:46 PM
While I pour a cool one, please open Applications > Synaptic, get an ethernet connection and install build-essential and linux-headers-generic. I'll be right back.

TubaDaddy8
July 8th, 2011, 09:00 PM
My Synaptic Package Manager is under System > Administration, if that makes any difference, and I already have them installed.

chili555
July 8th, 2011, 10:09 PM
People are running Unity, Guh-nome. kubuntu, lxde and idontknowwhatabuntu. I sometimes accidentally get it right!

Go here: http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2 Download this to your desktop: RT8070/RT3070/RT3370/RT5370/RT5372USB Right-click it and select Extract Here. Rename the file that's extracted to RT5370. Right-click it and select Extract Here.

RANT: The automagic tools that extract files in Ubuntu work great until they don't and ole Chili has to tapdance. It is far easier than it once was and less easy than I hope it will someday be. END RANT.

Open the resulting folder and go to os > linux and use any text editor to edit config.mk. Please set 'HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y'. Proofread carefully, save and close the text editor.

Now, a geek's dream; open a terminal and do:
cd Desktop/2011Press Tab and the remainder will fill in. Press Enter. Now do:
sudo su
make
make install
modprobe rt5370sta
exitIs your wireless working?

If there are any errors, stop and ask; warnings are usually OK.

TubaDaddy8
July 9th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Ok, it worked fine until I got to the modprobe rt5370sta. It says FATAL: Error inserting rt5370sta (/lib/modules/2.6.38-8-generic/kernal/drivers/net/wireless/rt5370sta.ko): Unkown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

chili555
July 9th, 2011, 12:59 PM
(see dmesg)Let's follow its advice and see dmesg. Please run and post:
sudo modprobe rt5370sta
dmesg | grep rt53Thanks.

TubaDaddy8
July 9th, 2011, 02:07 PM
It says "module license 'unspecified' taints kernel." And then a bunch of unknown symbol errors.

chili555
July 9th, 2011, 02:52 PM
The 'license taints kernel' is trivial (and fixable) but wouldn't stop the driver from working. The unknown symbol errors are what we need to fix, however. Can you run:
sudo su
make clean
makeThen copy all the text from the terminal and paste into a text document and copy that to a USB key or similar so we can see and, hopefully, fix them?

elrock
July 9th, 2011, 04:18 PM
I had the same error message ("unknown symbol") when trying to load this module, and I was able to get rid of it by following these instructions--

Build RT3070 kernel module (http://xlcwu.wordpress.com/2010/07/09/build-rt3070-kernel-module-on-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx/)

--particularly the comment by Matt Williams at the bottom. Basically you have to edit a couple of files and replace all instances of usb_buffer_free and usb_buffer_alloc with usb_free_coherent and usb_alloc_coherent. Then the module should load without any error messages. (I recently upgraded to Natty, so I have the same linux kernel as you.)

As an aside, I think it is absolutely ridiculous that users have to make these kinds of edits before a module will load properly. Most users would have no clue what to do. [/rant]

chili555
July 9th, 2011, 04:30 PM
As an aside, I think it is absolutely ridiculous that users have to make these kinds of edits before a module will load properly. Most users would have no clue what to do.Ahhh, the joy of source code! It is written to try to work with kernels from 2.6.wayback to 2.6.4xx. It is written to try to work with Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, Fedora, PCLinuxOS, Suse, etc., etc. It works pretty well in most cases and not at all in a few cases. The developers put drivers in the mainline distribution as fast as they can and yet new chipsets come out daily. Typically, they come out with NO Linux support. When a Linux driver is eventually released, we module monkeys have to fiddle with it a bit to get it to work. It beats the answer you get on other forums and IRC: "Take it back and get a supported device."

I wish there was a better answer.

As an aside, I walked into Big Box Store a few days ago and saw a Netgear wireless USB device on the shelf. I read the model number and immediately, the user on this forum who is struggling to get it to work came to my mind. I must get away once in a while!!

TubaDaddy8
July 10th, 2011, 04:46 AM
Nevermind. This is gay. I'm just gonna go out and buy a new version of Windows instead of messing around with this crap. You get what you pay for.

Requist
December 5th, 2011, 02:45 PM
They put new drivers on their side which work with the instructions given at the beginning of this topic, so only adept config.mk. Build with Ubuntu 12.04 alpha1 (kernel 3.2.0.2) :D

matthewh3
December 28th, 2011, 01:03 PM
People are running Unity, Guh-nome. kubuntu, lxde and idontknowwhatabuntu. I sometimes accidentally get it right!

Go here: http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2 Download this to your desktop: RT8070/RT3070/RT3370/RT5370/RT5372USB Right-click it and select Extract Here. Rename the file that's extracted to RT5370. Right-click it and select Extract Here.

RANT: The automagic tools that extract files in Ubuntu work great until they don't and ole Chili has to tapdance. It is far easier than it once was and less easy than I hope it will someday be. END RANT.

Open the resulting folder and go to os > linux and use any text editor to edit config.mk. Please set 'HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y'. Proofread carefully, save and close the text editor.

sudo su
make
make install
modprobe rt5370sta

I have done HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y'

When I do cd Desktop/2011 I get No such file or directory. I have tried going to the folder with the command line as root

root@matt-ubuntu:/home/matt/sta/sta1/os/linux#

and when I run the first command 'make' I get

*** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

Help I've just got my shiny new wireless N adapter and can't use it!

chili555
December 28th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I have done HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y'

When I do cd Desktop/2011 I get No such file or directory. I have tried going to the folder with the command line as root

root@matt-ubuntu:/home/matt/sta/sta1/os/linux#

and when I run the first command 'make' I get

*** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

Help I've just got my shiny new wireless N adapter and can't use it!Did you download the file to your desktop? Or where? Downloads? Where was it when you right-clicked it to 'Extract Here?'

My instructions included:

cd Desktop/2011

Press Tab and the remainder will fill in. Press Enter.Did you do that?

matthewh3
December 28th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Sorted it but thanks.

chingNotCHing
January 27th, 2012, 07:05 PM
It works for both my 11.10 64bit and 10.04 nbr! Thank you very much!

updated to http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_support/support.php?sn=501
I've used v2.5.0.3 which was not available at the moment of your post.

There is "()" in the default directory name extracted. After I've renamed the directory to remove "()", I can run make without syntax errors.

sudo su
make
make install
modprobe rt5370sta

It's my first time to make drivers. I 'm very happy. Thanks a lot!

chili555
January 27th, 2012, 11:46 PM
It's my first time to make drivers. I 'm very happy. Thanks a lot!Happy to have helped. Don't forget, when a new linux-image; aka kernel is installed by Update Manager, after reboot, you'll need to build the driver against the new kernel:
cd Desktop/RT5370 <--or wherever you extracted it
sudo su
make clean
make
make install
modprobe rt5370sta
exitGlad it's working!

minamitek
February 13th, 2012, 10:11 AM
This is the part where I'm probably forgetting something really obvious, but...

I've followed all the instructions here, make install and modprobe etc seemingly with no problems. But what happens next? I'm not seeing any settings or config for me to set up the device and enter the network password. Tried Network Connections but nothing was listed there.

matthewh3
February 13th, 2012, 10:13 AM
This is the part where I'm probably forgetting something really obvious, but...

I've followed all the instructions here, make install and modprobe etc seemingly with no problems. But what happens next? I'm not seeing any settings or config for me to set up the device and enter the network password. Tried Network Connections but nothing was listed there.

I just entered my password as you would for any WiFi device and it worked.

minamitek
February 13th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Where did you enter your password? After modprobe and exit it just returned me to the terminal prompt.

matthewh3
February 13th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Where did you enter your password? After modprobe and exit it just returned me to the terminal prompt.

In the desktop network manager.

minamitek
February 13th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Darn, something must have gone wrong after all then. Funny, I didn't get any error messages during the build process.

chili555
February 13th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Darn, something must have gone wrong after all then. Funny, I didn't get any error messages during the build process.Let's troubleshoot. Please run and post:
sudo modprobe rt5370sta
lsmod | grep rt5
sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
iwconfigThanks.

minamitek
February 14th, 2012, 12:48 AM
Many thanks, the help is much appreciated.
entering lsmod | grep rt5 got a result:

rt5370sta 801203 0But when I typed iwlist wlan0 scan, I got

wlan0 interface doesn't support scanningand iwconfig gave me

lo no wireless extensions.
eth0 no wireless extensions.
Now... it's possible I'm way off track & trying to use the wrong device with this driver. lsusb lists it as a PLANEX GW-USMicroN which I'm sure is a Ralink chipset. I've been using it for years on an old Mac laptop with Ralink's OSX driver & it works fine. Just no joy this time around, unfortunately.

chili555
February 14th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Now... it's possible I'm way off track & trying to use the wrong device with this driver. lsusb lists it as a PLANEX GW-USMicroN which I'm sure is a Ralink chipset. Entirely possible. Let's have a look at:
lsusbWe need to see details, please.

minamitek
February 14th, 2012, 05:08 AM
Here we go:

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0566:3107 Monterey International Corp.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:c069 Logitech, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 2019:ed14 PLANEX GW-USMicroN

Device 005 being the dongle I'm trying to shoehorn into this system. Maybe time to get a newer device...

mindlessgr
February 14th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Hello guys, i have searched very much about this device, i have written a howto on my blog, you can check if you want.
http://wp.mindless.gr/2012/02/installing-tp-link-tl-wn727n-usb-wireless-n-150mbps-adapter-on-debian-squeeze/

hope this helps someone

mindlessgr
February 14th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Try: iwpriv ra0 get_site_survey

Many thanks, the help is much appreciated.
entering lsmod | grep rt5 got a result:

rt5370sta 801203 0But when I typed iwlist wlan0 scan, I got

wlan0 interface doesn't support scanningand iwconfig gave me

Now... it's possible I'm way off track & trying to use the wrong device with this driver. lsusb lists it as a PLANEX GW-USMicroN which I'm sure is a Ralink chipset. I've been using it for years on an old Mac laptop with Ralink's OSX driver & it works fine. Just no joy this time around, unfortunately.

chili555
February 14th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Hello guys, i have searched very much about this device, i have written a howto on my blog, you can check if you want.
http://wp.mindless.gr/2012/02/installing-tp-link-tl-wn727n-usb-wireless-n-150mbps-adapter-on-debian-squeeze/

hope this helps someoneYour blog says you have:
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370 Wireless Adapterminamitek has this:
ID 2019:ed14 PLANEX GW-USMicroNrt5370sta does not claim this device.

Googling your device suggests several (possibly conflicting) ways to get this going. Let's try rt5370sta first. Please go to the files you extracted as a part of compiling the driver. Open common/rtusb_dev_id.c with any text editor; gedit or nano, for example. Scroll down to the section below and add the highlighted text. Punctuation, brackets, spacing, etc. are crucial. Type carefully and proofread twice. After the changes are made, be sure to save and close the text editor.
#ifdef RT5370
{USB_DEVICE(0x148F,0x5370)}, /* Ralink 5370 */
{USB_DEVICE(0x2019,0xED14)}, /* PLANEX */
{USB_DEVICE(0x148F,0x5372)}, /* Ralink 5370 */
{USB_DEVICE(0x13D3,0x3365)}, /* Azurewave */
{USB_DEVICE(0x13D3,0x3329)}, /* Azurewave */
#endif // RT5370 //Now we must recompile:
cd Desktop/RT3070etc. <--or wherever you extracted the files
sudo su
modprobe -r rt5370sta
make clean
make
make install
modprobe rt5370sta
exitAny improvement?

mindlessgr
February 14th, 2012, 04:44 PM
You are right chili555, i didnt notice the device id, just posted here trying to help people with the same problem with me, and the subject says that this thread is for the same module as mine.

:)

HTH

minamitek
February 17th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Well, how about that! Adding the magic line as you suggested:

{USB_DEVICE(0x2019,0xED14)}, /* PLANEX */

has made all the difference and I'm now online wire-free. Many thanks once again (especially from my wife since I'll no longer be hauling the rig into the living room to plug into the wall):)

You guys are brilliant.

chili555
February 17th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Thanks for your kind comments. We now have a confirmed method to get the Planex 2019:ed14 working. Awesome!

mindlessgr
February 17th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Oh, thanks minamitek, im glad that i have put a brick to your solution :)

extraweb1
February 26th, 2012, 07:41 AM
):P Chili and ALL

I had the same problem as the user in post 1 and my device id matches however i am using BT5R1 "Backtrack" and i have absolutley no linux experience "really only as much as a newb :lolflag: " so i tried your instructions and still nothing so as a pc dev of drivers i wanted to read the makefile and noticed it was not looking in the right directories for some reason and was missing Module.symvers in my /usr/src/linux when compiling the first time; i do know a few things unix so i used:

locate Module.symvers
cp "dir without quotes where found" /usr/src/linux

I tried changing the following in the makefile with after using locate to locate some of the requirements of the makefile

LINUX_SRC =/lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build
to
LINUX_SRC =/usr/src/linux

and below it:

LINUX_SRC =/lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
to
LINUX_SRC =/usr/src/linux/drivers/net/wireless

ran

make
make install
modprobe rt5370sta

and now it works in Wicd after changing the preferences for wlan0 to Ra0 I can connect and it works :guitar:

anymoose
March 20th, 2012, 06:53 PM
HI! This is the definitive fix for Ubuntu 11.10 and TL-WN727N(V3)

Use this link (only) if kernel version is shown below; Ubuntu 11.10

ls /lib/modules

3.0.0-12-generic

Web Link;
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1903935&highlight=5370

Use user Chili555 post #2. Everything is done in post #2 ie no files to download
no compilation, no other changes. This fix must be entered carefully; all spelling,
spaces and capital/lc letters *must* be correct. Worked for me after reboot. Test
your adapter with MS-Win XP with Included utility on CD ahead of time, if possible.

Not sure if this will work in Ubuntu live filesystem on CD for obvious reasons. Works
when filesystem is on HD disk and USB stick.

This the particular fix is obviously for beginners who don't want to recompile and
install a new device driver. It will get them running.

Signed; Anymoose

Krazi3
March 24th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Here are the results

lsusb

Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 09da:000a A4 Tech Co., Ltd Port Mouse
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp.

and lsmod | grep -e rt3 -e rt2

rt2870sta 410104 0
crc_ccitt 12595 1 rt2870sta

chili555
March 24th, 2012, 08:26 PM
It won't let you use rt5370sta for a wireless driver because it's already using rt2870sta. Isn't rt2870sta working as expected? Why did you decide to compile rt5370sta? What are your symptoms? Why do I ask so many questions....Oops, sorry.

Krazi3
March 24th, 2012, 08:42 PM
NO it is not working and i have also blacklisted rt2870sta.

I decided to compile rt5370sta because it showed up when i do 'lsusb' .

And i are noob in linux .. dnt know much about it. :p

chili555
March 24th, 2012, 09:13 PM
It's evidently not blacklisted correctly if it still loads. Please show us:
dmesg | grep rt2
modinfo rt2870sta | grep 5370
cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.confThe pipe symbol | is on the right side of my US keyboard on the same key with \. Thanks.

Krazi3
March 25th, 2012, 06:10 AM
The results are as:

dmesg | grep rt2

[ 12.387769] rt2870sta: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
[ 12.392910] usbcore: registered new interface driver rt2870
[ 12.466668] rtusb init rt2870 --->
[ 12.466673] Error: Driver 'rt2870' is already registered, aborting...

modinfo rt2870sta | grep 5370

Nothing happened

cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

# This file lists those modules which we don't want to be loaded by
# alias expansion, usually so some other driver will be loaded for the
# device instead.

# evbug is a debug tool that should be loaded explicitly
blacklist evbug

# these drivers are very simple, the HID drivers are usually preferred
blacklist usbmouse
blacklist usbkbd

# replaced by e100
blacklist eepro100

# replaced by tulip
blacklist de4x5

# causes no end of confusion by creating unexpected network interfaces
blacklist eth1394

# snd_intel8x0m can interfere with snd_intel8x0, doesn't seem to support much
# hardware on its own (Ubuntu bug #2011, #6810)
blacklist snd_intel8x0m

# Conflicts with dvb driver (which is better for handling this device)
blacklist snd_aw2

# causes failure to suspend on HP compaq nc6000 (Ubuntu: #10306)
blacklist i2c_i801

# replaced by p54pci
blacklist prism54

# replaced by b43 and ssb.
blacklist bcm43xx

# most apps now use garmin usb driver directly (Ubuntu: #114565)
blacklist garmin_gps

# replaced by asus-laptop (Ubuntu: #184721)
blacklist asus_acpi

# low-quality, just noise when being used for sound playback, causes
# hangs at desktop session start (Ubuntu: #246969)
blacklist snd_pcsp

# ugly and loud noise, getting on everyone's nerves; this should be done by a
# nice pulseaudio bing (Ubuntu: #77010)
blacklist pcspkr

# EDAC driver for amd76x clashes with the agp driver preventing the aperture
# from being initialised (Ubuntu: #297750). Blacklist so that the driver
# continues to build and is installable for the few cases where its
# really needed.
blacklist amd76x_edac
blacklist rt2800usb
blacklist rt2800lib
blacklist rt2x00usb
blacklist rt2x00lib
blacklist rt2870sta
blacklist rt2870usb

chili555
March 25th, 2012, 02:48 PM
The mystery gets deeper! Let's have a look at:
dmesg | grep ndis
cat /etc/modules
cat /etc/rc.localOne wonders why rt2870sta is evidently loaded despite the fact it is blacklisted. Quite a little problem here!

Krazi3
March 26th, 2012, 01:27 PM
The results are as follows :

krazi3@krazi3-desktop:~$ dmesg | grep ndis
krazi3@krazi3-desktop:~$ cat /etc/modules
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

lp
rt2870sta
krazi3@krazi3-desktop:~$ cat /etc/rc.local
#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

exit 0

chili555
March 26th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Please do:
sudo gedit /etc/modulesRemove the rt2870sta line, proofread, save and close gedit. If you don't have gedit, use nano or any other text editor. As long as we have our text editor sharpened up, let's do some more work:
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.confRemove the line 'blacklist rt2870usb'; there is no such module so it doesn't help to blacklist it. Proofread, save and close gedit.

Now reboot with the device inserted and do:
sudo modprobe rt5370staDoes it error out? Does the wireless work? If not, please post:
dmesg | grep -e rt5 -e rt2Thanks.

Krazi3
March 26th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I did as you mentioned above and now when i did modprobe rt5370sta. It succeeded. It did not give any previous errors but the wireless is still not working.

krazi3@krazi3-desktop:~$ dmesg | grep -e rt5 -e rt2
[ 11.972310] rtusb init rt2870 --->
[ 11.973824] usbcore: registered new interface driver rt2870
krazi3@krazi3-desktop:~$ iwconifg
No command 'iwconifg' found, did you mean:
Command 'iwconfig' from package 'wireless-tools' (main)
iwconifg: command not found
krazi3@krazi3-desktop:~$ iwconfig

eth1 no wireless extensions.

ra0 Ralink STA
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 invalid crypt:0 invalid misc:0

chili555
March 26th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Did you make the changes to config.mk as outlined in the README before you compiled?
** Build for being controlled by NetworkManager or wpa_supplicant wext functions
Please set 'HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y'.
If not, please do so and then recompile:
cd Desktop/RT5370 <--or wherever you extracted the files
sudo su
make clean
make
make install
modprobe -r rt5370sta
modprobe rt5370sta
exitAny change?

Krazi3
March 26th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Thank you very very very much.

Finally i are connected wire free. :D

chili555
March 26th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Excellent! Glad it's working.

Would you please use Thread Tools at the top and Mark Solved?

Krazi3
March 26th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Actually i can't .. i was not the main creator that is why maybe. :(

cthlhu1987
May 24th, 2012, 11:03 PM

sudo su
make
make install
modprobe rt5370sta

Thx, went without a glitch under Xubuntu 12.04, currently using the adapther ;) :guitar:

Krazi3
May 25th, 2012, 05:08 AM
Yes this is greatest guide to this adapter ... :D

Rowley1721
June 9th, 2012, 11:20 PM

sudo su
make
make install
modprobe rt5370sta

I have just registered on here to say a massive thank you to Chili555. I spent over 5 hours talking to the manufactures, reading emails, trying everything they said and comming up blank, I wrote probs in excess of 100 lines in terminal and had to install Ubuntu twice after messing up big style, then I found this post. Awesome.

One thing I will say though is that I needed to install all updates through Update Manager before this would work but that's just a side note incase it does not work for others :)

Anyway thank you again a now very happy Dual booted Ubuntu+win7 user :D

entonjackson
July 13th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I want to connect to a Draft-N router and I am able to. But the connection gets los after about 30 seconds. After another 30 seconds it connects again. What have I done wrong?
I installed and configured everything you described.

Thanks in advance, chilli

chili555
July 13th, 2012, 10:02 PM
The only things I can suggest are to set your router to WPA2 only, not WPA and WPA2 mixed mode. Also, you might look here to see if there are any interesting clues:
sudo cat /var/log/syslog | grep -e wlan -e 5370 | tail -n20Reliable N speeds are kind of hit or miss, unfortunately.

entonjackson
July 14th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Unfortunately my router only knows "no encryption", "WEP" and "WPA/WPA2". there are no advanced settings to switch to WPA2 only...

here is the output of syslog:

Jul 14 08:00:09 anton-bct kernel: [ 1236.509179] wlan0: RX ReassocResp from 34:08:04:d8:78:de (capab=0xc31 status=0 aid=3)
Jul 14 08:00:09 anton-bct kernel: [ 1236.509182] wlan0: associated
Jul 14 08:00:09 anton-bct NetworkManager[918]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state: associating -> associated
Jul 14 08:00:13 anton-bct kernel: [ 1239.566599] wlan0: deauthenticated from 34:08:04:d8:78:de (Reason: 2)
Jul 14 08:00:13 anton-bct NetworkManager[918]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state: associated -> disconnected
Jul 14 08:00:13 anton-bct NetworkManager[918]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state: disconnected -> scanning
Jul 14 08:00:15 anton-bct kernel: [ 1242.287610] wlan0: authenticate with 34:08:04:d8:78:de (try 1)
Jul 14 08:00:15 anton-bct NetworkManager[918]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state: scanning -> authenticating
Jul 14 08:00:15 anton-bct kernel: [ 1242.328545] wlan0: authenticated
Jul 14 08:00:15 anton-bct kernel: [ 1242.330486] wlan0: associate with 34:08:04:d8:78:de (try 1)
Jul 14 08:00:15 anton-bct NetworkManager[918]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state: authenticating -> associating
Jul 14 08:00:16 anton-bct kernel: [ 1242.528035] wlan0: associate with 34:08:04:d8:78:de (try 2)
Jul 14 08:00:16 anton-bct kernel: [ 1242.536461] wlan0: RX ReassocResp from 34:08:04:d8:78:de (capab=0xc31 status=0 aid=3)
Jul 14 08:00:16 anton-bct kernel: [ 1242.536466] wlan0: associated
Jul 14 08:00:16 anton-bct NetworkManager[918]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state: associating -> associated
Jul 14 08:00:17 anton-bct kernel: [ 1244.374861] wlan0: deauthenticated from 34:08:04:d8:78:de (Reason: 2)
Jul 14 08:00:17 anton-bct NetworkManager[918]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state: associated -> disconnected
Jul 14 08:00:17 anton-bct NetworkManager[918]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state: disconnected -> scanning
Jul 14 08:00:20 anton-bct kernel: [ 1247.017123] wlan0: authenticate with 34:08:04:d8:78:de (try 1)
Jul 14 08:00:20 anton-bct NetworkManager[918]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state: scanning -> authenticating
Jul 14 08:00:20 anton-bct kernel: [ 1247.155772] wlan0: authenticated
Jul 14 08:00:20 anton-bct kernel: [ 1247.157685] wlan0: associate with 34:08:04:d8:78:de (try 1)
Jul 14 08:00:20 anton-bct NetworkManager[918]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state: authenticating -> associating
Jul 14 08:00:20 anton-bct kernel: [ 1247.356106] wlan0: associate with 34:08:04:d8:78:de (try 2)
Jul 14 08:00:20 anton-bct kernel: [ 1247.362661] wlan0: RX ReassocResp from 34:08:04:d8:78:de (capab=0xc31 status=0 aid=3)
Jul 14 08:00:20 anton-bct kernel: [ 1247.362665] wlan0: associated
Jul 14 08:00:20 anton-bct NetworkManager[918]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state: associating -> associated
Jul 14 08:00:22 anton-bct kernel: [ 1249.209591] wlan0: deauthenticated from 34:08:04:d8:78:de (Reason: 2)
Jul 14 08:00:22 anton-bct NetworkManager[918]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state: associated -> disconnected
Jul 14 08:00:22 anton-bct NetworkManager[918]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state: disconnected -> scanning
Jul 14 08:00:25 anton-bct kernel: [ 1251.825742] wlan0: authenticate with 34:08:04:d8:78:de (try 1)
Jul 14 08:00:25 anton-bct NetworkManager[918]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state: scanning -> authenticating
Jul 14 08:00:25 anton-bct kernel: [ 1251.864884] wlan0: authenticated
Jul 14 08:00:25 anton-bct kernel: [ 1251.867668] wlan0: associate with 34:08:04:d8:78:de (try 1)
Jul 14 08:00:25 anton-bct NetworkManager[918]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state: authenticating -> associating
Jul 14 08:00:25 anton-bct kernel: [ 1252.064045] wlan0: associate with 34:08:04:d8:78:de (try 2)
Jul 14 08:00:25 anton-bct kernel: [ 1252.070020] wlan0: RX ReassocResp from 34:08:04:d8:78:de (capab=0xc31 status=0 aid=3)
Jul 14 08:00:25 anton-bct kernel: [ 1252.070024] wlan0: associated
Jul 14 08:00:25 anton-bct NetworkManager[918]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state: associating -> associated
Jul 14 08:00:27 anton-bct kernel: [ 1253.952557] wlan0: deauthenticated from 34:08:04:d8:78:de (Reason: 2)
Jul 14 08:00:27 anton-bct NetworkManager[918]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state: associated -> disconnected
Jul 14 08:00:27 anton-bct NetworkManager[918]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state: disconnected -> scanning
Jul 14 08:00:30 anton-bct NetworkManager[918]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state: scanning -> authenticating
Jul 14 08:00:30 anton-bct kernel: [ 1256.641533] wlan0: authenticate with 34:08:04:d8:78:de (try 1)
Jul 14 08:00:30 anton-bct kernel: [ 1256.732426] wlan0: authenticated
Jul 14 08:00:30 anton-bct NetworkManager[918]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state: authenticating -> associating
Jul 14 08:00:30 anton-bct kernel: [ 1256.736931] wlan0: associate with 34:08:04:d8:78:de (try 1)
Jul 14 08:00:30 anton-bct kernel: [ 1256.758889] wlan0: RX ReassocResp from 34:08:04:d8:78:de (capab=0xc31 status=0 aid=3)
Jul 14 08:00:30 anton-bct kernel: [ 1256.758892] wlan0: associated
Jul 14 08:00:30 anton-bct NetworkManager[918]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state: associating -> associated
Jul 14 08:00:33 anton-bct NetworkManager[918]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state: associated -> 4-way handshake
Jul 14 08:00:33 anton-bct kernel: [ 1259.812550] wlan0: deauthenticated from 34:08:04:d8:78:de (Reason: 6)
Jul 14 08:00:33 anton-bct NetworkManager[918]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state: 4-way handshake -> disconnected
Jul 14 08:00:33 anton-bct NetworkManager[918]: <info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state: disconnected -> scanning

i have TKIP/AES activated, maybe i should turn this to AES only?
also i'm on 64bit precise, if this helps?

thank you.

EDIT1: Ok. i edited the html document, that has disabled configuration of WPA only and WPA2 only on my router. After testing it with WPA2 only, i couldn't get a connection no more.
So I switched back to WPA/WPA2 but all of the sudden, the driver is no more loaded properly. I cannot connect to the internet with the rt5370 no more. I must say, I played around with the .dat. Maybe that's the reason, but i repeated your installation steps but i can't get it to run no more... if i plug the dongle into my notebook, dmesg outputs this all the time:

RTUSB_VendorRequest failed(-71),TxFlags=0x0, ReqType=IN, Req=0x7, Idx=0x1718,pAd->Flags=0x2

EDIT2: Ok the driver loads somehow, but a connection is not possible so far, as I can tell. But it's not really clear, because NetworkManager behaves pretty strange, which is usually a very stable app. Anyway, if i connect the dongle with my notebook, the system seems to freeze globally, mouse moves, but nothing reacts. When i pull out the dongle again, all events seem to be processed immediately. It's like the driver is blocking the whole system... i don't know how to describe actually..

chili555
July 14th, 2012, 01:20 PM
i have TKIP/AES activated, maybe i should turn this to AES only?That would be my suggestion.
also i'm on 64bit precise, if this helps?I suspect the built-in rt2800usb is interfering and needs to bo blacklisted. If it were me, I'd uninstall rt5370sta and troubleshoot rt2800usb. See if its loaded with:
lsmod | grep rt2

entonjackson
July 14th, 2012, 08:07 PM
i have uninstalled the rt5370 drivers and did a

sudo modprobe rt2800usb
then:

anton@anton-bct:~$ lsmod | grep rt2
rt2800usb 22684 0
rt2800lib 58925 1 rt2800usb
crc_ccitt 12667 1 rt2800lib
rt2x00usb 20762 1 rt2800usb
rt2x00lib 55301 3 rt2800usb,rt2800lib,rt2x00usb
mac80211 506816 4 rt2800lib,rt2x00usb,rt2x00lib,iwlwifi
cfg80211 205544 3 rt2x00lib,iwlwifi,mac80211

chili555
July 14th, 2012, 08:15 PM
mac80211 506816 4 rt2800lib,rt2x00usb,rt2x00lib,iwlwifi
cfg80211 205544 3 rt2x00lib,iwlwifi,mac80211Hello!

Do you have an internal wireless device that's hogging Network Manager? Please tell me what your setup is.
lspci -nn | grep 0280
iwconfig
lsusb

entonjackson
July 14th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Yes, that's right. I'm trying to find out how to install this dongle, to do it on a pc, that has no internal wifi.

sorry, i should have mentioned this earlier.

chili555
July 14th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Yes, that's right. I'm trying to find out how to install this dongle, to do it on a pc, that has no internal wifi.

sorry, i should have mentioned this earlier.Please post:
iwconfig
lsusbThanks.

entonjackson
July 14th, 2012, 09:04 PM
i think i have a different problem in the meanwhile. i don't know what i've done, but i think my dongle is broken now. because it's no more listed in the lsusb list. only sometimes, it's showing up the dongle again, i don't know why. if it's not listed in lsusb, dmesg is telling me this:

[ 802.296000] usb 2-4: new high speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 17
[ 802.408000] usb 2-4: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 802.624000] usb 2-4: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 802.840000] usb 2-4: new high speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 18
[ 803.248000] usb 2-4: device not accepting address 18, error -71
[ 803.360000] usb 2-4: new high speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 19
[ 803.768000] usb 2-4: device not accepting address 19, error -71

sorry for bugging you with this crap...

chili555
July 14th, 2012, 09:12 PM
but i think my dongle is broken now. I do, too. Is it improved in a different USB slot?

entonjackson
July 14th, 2012, 09:37 PM
No it doesn't.

I don't know if it makes sense, to investigate further. but 5 minutes ago was one of the few moments, the dongle showed up in lsusb:

Bus 002 Device 019: ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370 Wireless Adapter

inserting the dongle seems to block every activity that has to do with the internet connection. Chrome, Pidgin, NetworkManager, and even iwconfig seems to block. so the output here is nothing...
as i pull the dongle, all events that have to do with the internet connection seem to flush in at once. people come online/offline. clicked links in chrome are processed, and iwconfig shows wireless interfaces, but only the internal one, because at his time the dongle is off, as i said.
and if i plug it in again, doesn't show in lsusb... until the next time.

so what is your suggestion, doc? you also think that thing is broken, right? if yes, can you recommend another chip, that works ootb on precise 32bit?

thank you.

chili555
July 14th, 2012, 09:48 PM
This device ought to work with Precice OOTB perfectly well. I suspect the presence of the iwlwifi driver is at least part of the issue. Please try:
sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
sudo modprobe -r iwlwifiCheck for any leftovers:
lsmod | grep 8021If cfg80211 or mac80211 are still there, remove it or them:
sudo modprobe -r xxx80211 <--whichever you foundNow insert the USB. Is it working? Any symptoms to report?

entonjackson
July 14th, 2012, 10:25 PM
I would like to tell you. But the dongle isn't shown in lsusb no more. Sorry.

fatboy07
July 19th, 2012, 04:21 PM
FATAL: Module rt5370sta not found.
got this error. :(

fatboy07
July 19th, 2012, 04:34 PM
drei@ubuntu:~$ sudo modprobe rt5370sta
[sudo] password for drei:
FATAL: Module rt5370sta not found.
drei@ubuntu:~$ cdcd Desktop/RT5370
The program 'cdcd' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install cdcd
drei@ubuntu:~$ cd Desktop/RT5370
bash: cd: Desktop/RT5370: No such file or directory
drei@ubuntu:~$ cd Desktop/RT5370
bash: cd: Desktop/RT5370: Not a directory
drei@ubuntu:~$ cd Desktop/zach
drei@ubuntu:~/Desktop/zach$ sudo du
28 ./tools
532 ./os/linux
536 ./os
2100 ./common
804 ./sta
264 ./chips
108 ./include/os
168 ./include/chip
12 ./include/iface
1080 ./include
4888 .
drei@ubuntu:~/Desktop/zach$ make clean
cp -f os/linux/Makefile.clean os/linux/Makefile
make -C os/linux clean
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/drei/Desktop/zach/os/linux'
rm -f ../../common/*.o
rm -f ../../common/.*.{cmd,flags,d}
rm -f ../../os/linux/*.{o,ko,mod.{o,c}}
rm -f ../../os/linux/.*.{cmd,flags,d}
rm -fr ../../os/linux/.tmp_versions
rm -f ../../os/linux/Module.symvers
rm -f ../../os/linux/Modules.symvers
rm -f ../../os/linux/Module.markers
rm -f ../../os/linux/modules.order
rm -f ../../chips/*.o
rm -f ../../chips/.*.{cmd,flags,d}
rm -f ../../sta/*.o
rm -f ../../sta/.*.{cmd,flags,d}
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/drei/Desktop/zach/os/linux'
rm -rf os/linux/Makefile
drei@ubuntu:~/Desktop/zach$ make
make -C tools
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/drei/Desktop/zach/tools'
gcc -g bin2h.c -o bin2h
make[1]: gcc: Command not found
make[1]: *** [all] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/drei/Desktop/zach/tools'
make: *** [build_tools] Error 2
drei@ubuntu:~/Desktop/zach$ make install
make -C /home/drei/Desktop/zach/os/linux -f Makefile.6 install
mkdir: cannot create directory `/etc/Wireless': File exists
rm -rf /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA
rm: cannot remove `/etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/RT2870STA.dat': Permission denied
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make: *** [install] Error 2
drei@ubuntu:~/Desktop/zach$ sudo su
root@ubuntu:/home/drei/Desktop/zach# make clean
cp -f os/linux/Makefile.clean os/linux/Makefile
make -C os/linux clean
rm -f ../../common/*.o
rm -f ../../common/.*.{cmd,flags,d}
rm -f ../../os/linux/*.{o,ko,mod.{o,c}}
rm -f ../../os/linux/.*.{cmd,flags,d}
rm -fr ../../os/linux/.tmp_versions
rm -f ../../os/linux/Module.symvers
rm -f ../../os/linux/Modules.symvers
rm -f ../../os/linux/Module.markers
rm -f ../../os/linux/modules.order
rm -f ../../chips/*.o
rm -f ../../chips/.*.{cmd,flags,d}
rm -f ../../sta/*.o
rm -f ../../sta/.*.{cmd,flags,d}
rm -rf os/linux/Makefile
root@ubuntu:/home/drei/Desktop/zach# make
make -C tools
gcc -g bin2h.c -o bin2h
make[1]: gcc: Command not found
make[1]: *** [all] Error 127
make: *** [build_tools] Error 2
root@ubuntu:/home/drei/Desktop/zach# make install
mkdir /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA
cp /home/drei/Desktop/zach/RT2870STA.dat /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/.
install -d /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
install -m 644 -c rt5370sta.ko /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
install: cannot stat `rt5370sta.ko': No such file or directory
make: *** [install] Error 2
root@ubuntu:/home/drei/Desktop/zach# modeprobe -r rt5370sta
No command 'modeprobe' found, did you mean:
Command 'modprobe' from package 'module-init-tools' (main)
modeprobe: command not found
root@ubuntu:/home/drei/Desktop/zach# modeprobe rt5370sta
No command 'modeprobe' found, did you mean:
Command 'modprobe' from package 'module-init-tools' (main)
modeprobe: command not found
root@ubuntu:/home/drei/Desktop/zach#

got this error.. :(

chili555
July 19th, 2012, 04:50 PM
make[1]: gcc: Command not foundPlease do:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall build-essential
cd Desktop/zach
sudo su
make clean
make
make install
exitAny errors now?

When you see this:
make: *** [install] Error 2You should stop and sort out the error. All further steps will be errors, too.

fatboy07
July 19th, 2012, 05:00 PM
thanks chilli, feedback later. :)

fatboy07
July 19th, 2012, 05:15 PM
install -m 644 -c rt5370sta.ko /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
/sbin/depmod -a 3.2.0-26-generic
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/mtd/chips/map_rom.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/mtd/chips/cfi_util.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/mtd/maps/ts5500_flash.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-kensington.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-axff.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-keytouch.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/scsi/cxgbi/libcxgbi.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/scsi/fcoe/fcoe.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/scsi/fcoe/libfcoe.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/scsi/arcmsr/arcmsr.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/scsi/mvsas/mvsas.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/video/vgastate.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/video/intelfb/intelfb.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/firewire/firewire-core.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/em28xx/em28xx-alsa.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/tm6000/tm6000.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/saa7134/saa6752hs.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/saa7134/saa7134-empress.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_ov534.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/uio/uio_cif.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/uio/uio_sercos3.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/uio/uio_netx.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/uio/uio_pdrv_genirq.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/isdn/hardware/eicon/divas.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/isdn/gigaset/gigaset.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/isdn/mISDN/l1oip.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/isdn/mISDN/mISDN_dsp.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/mfd.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/mrst_max3110.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/8250_accent.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/max3100.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/8250_exar_st16c554.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/8250_boca.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/altera_uart.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/timbuart.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/8250_mca.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/pch_uart.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/8250_hub6.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/8250_fourport.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/n_r3964.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/nozomi.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/atm/solos-pci.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/atm/horizon.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/option.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/usbserial.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/iuu_phoenix.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/visor.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/usb/gadget/g_acm_ms.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/regulator/mc13892-regulator.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/regulator/max8925-regulator.ko: Exec format error
root@ubuntu:/home/drei/Desktop/zach# make
make -C tools
gcc -g bin2h.c -o bin2h
/home/drei/Desktop/zach/tools/bin2h
cp -f os/linux/Makefile.6 /home/drei/Desktop/zach/os/linux/Makefile
make -C /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/drei/Desktop/zach/os/linux modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-26-generic'
CC [M] /home/drei/Desktop/zach/os/linux/../../common/rtmp_mcu.o
/home/drei/Desktop/zach/os/linux/../../common/rtmp_mcu.c: In function ‘RtmpAsicLoadFirmware’:
/home/drei/Desktop/zach/os/linux/../../common/rtmp_mcu.c:383:11: warning: unused variable ‘MacReg1’ [-Wunused-variable]
LD [M] /home/drei/Desktop/zach/os/linux/rt5370sta.o
Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST 1 modules
LD [M] /home/drei/Desktop/zach/os/linux/rt5370sta.ko
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-26-generic'
cp -f /home/drei/Desktop/zach/os/linux/rt5370sta.ko /tftpboot
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/mtd/chips/map_rom.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/mtd/chips/cfi_util.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/mtd/maps/ts5500_flash.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-kensington.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-axff.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-keytouch.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/scsi/cxgbi/libcxgbi.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/scsi/fcoe/fcoe.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/scsi/fcoe/libfcoe.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/scsi/arcmsr/arcmsr.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/scsi/mvsas/mvsas.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/video/vgastate.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/video/intelfb/intelfb.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/firewire/firewire-core.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/em28xx/em28xx-alsa.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/tm6000/tm6000.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/saa7134/saa6752hs.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/saa7134/saa7134-empress.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_ov534.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/uio/uio_cif.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/uio/uio_sercos3.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/uio/uio_netx.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/uio/uio_pdrv_genirq.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/isdn/hardware/eicon/divas.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/isdn/gigaset/gigaset.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/isdn/mISDN/l1oip.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/isdn/mISDN/mISDN_dsp.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/mfd.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/mrst_max3110.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/8250_accent.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/max3100.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/8250_exar_st16c554.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/8250_boca.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/altera_uart.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/timbuart.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/8250_mca.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/pch_uart.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/8250_hub6.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/8250_fourport.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/n_r3964.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/tty/nozomi.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/atm/solos-pci.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/atm/horizon.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/option.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/usbserial.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/iuu_phoenix.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/visor.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/usb/gadget/g_acm_ms.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/regulator/mc13892-regulator.ko: Exec format error
WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/regulator/max8925-regulator.ko: Exec format error

this is what I got from make install.

chili555
July 19th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Man, oh man! This just gets weirder by the moment. Please do:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-`uname -r`
sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-headers-`uname -r`
sudo apt-get install --reinstall build-essentialThen sudo su and make again. Those tickmarks are on the left side of my US keyboard on the same key with ~.

Fingers crossed...

fatboy07
July 19th, 2012, 06:06 PM

Oh darn.. :( do I need to quit installing this one? :(

fatboy07
July 19th, 2012, 06:20 PM
tried the modeprobe com. line kaboom! wifi works perfectly! thanks chilli! 4 thumbs uP for you! cheers!!!!!!!

demonfire24
July 21st, 2012, 02:42 PM
Hello chili555, cheers for the instruction on how to install. The build went ok with no issues but i still have no access to wireless. I did a sudo modprobe rt5370sta and got these results.

mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ lsmod | grep rt5
rt5370sta 805299 0
mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ iwconfig

ra0 Ralink STA

mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ sudo iwlist ra0 scan
ra0 Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down

Hope you can help.

Cheers

Mark

chili555
July 21st, 2012, 03:43 PM
Hello chili555, cheers for the instruction on how to install. The build went ok with no issues but i still have no access to wireless.
Hope you can help.

Cheers

MarkPlease post:
lsb_release -d
lsmod | grep -e rt5 -e rt2
lsusbThanks.

demonfire24
July 21st, 2012, 04:02 PM
Thanks for getting back to me. I am being cheeky as i run Mint but i can't find any info on how to install anywhere but here. Don't worry if you can help or if its non compatible. Anyway my results are:

3812 ~ $ lsb_release -d
Description: Linux Mint 12 Lisa
mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ lsmod | grep -e rt5 -e rt2
rt5370sta 805299 1
mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ lsusb
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 03f0:8811 Hewlett-Packard
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0bda:0151 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Mass Storage Device (Multicard Reader)
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04f3:02f0 Elan Microelectronics Corp.
Bus 007 Device 002: ID 10d6:1100 Actions Semiconductor Co., Ltd MPMan MP-Ki 128 MP3 Player/Recorder

chili555
July 21st, 2012, 10:06 PM
i run Mint but i can't find any info on how to install anywhere but here.It's good to be the king.

rt5370sta is correct for your device; however in later kernels, it is claimed by rt2800usb. Please post:
modinfo rt2800usb | grep 5370
uname -r
dmesg | grep -i rt5Thanks.

demonfire24
July 21st, 2012, 10:43 PM
Thanks i entered your code and got:

mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ modinfo rt2800usb | grep 5370
mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ uname -r
3.0.0-16-generic
mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ dmesg | grep -i rt5
mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $

chili555
July 21st, 2012, 10:49 PM
mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ dmesg | grep -i rt5
mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $Wow! We don't even see rt5370sta being loaded. Was it?
lsmod | grep rt5If not, please do:
sudo modprobe rt5370sta
dmesg | grep rt5
modinfo rt5370sta | head -n3Weird...

demonfire24
July 21st, 2012, 11:35 PM
Ok latest results, baffled myself.

mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ lsmod | grep rt5
rt5370sta 805299 0
mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ sudo modprobe rt5370sta
[sudo] password for mark:
mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ dmesg | grep rt5
mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ modinfo rt5370sta | head -n3
filename: /lib/modules/3.0.0-16-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt5370sta.ko
version: 2.5.0.3
license: GPL

demonfire24
July 22nd, 2012, 01:43 PM
Well i just went over to Mint and my Wifi WAS working. I logged in for a second time and it has gone back to the way it was .. wifi-unmanaged

Confused.. so close

demonfire24
July 24th, 2012, 02:16 AM
Ok an update, i decided to do a fresh install of Mint 13 and try again. Followed the step by step instructions to a t.. Still nothing :( in fact, worse than before. I inputed some of the last instructions you gave and got these results..

mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ lsb_release -d
Description: Linux Mint 13 Maya
mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ lsmod | grep -e rt5 -e rt2
rt5370sta 796868 0
mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ lsusb
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370 Wireless Adapter
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 03f0:8811 Hewlett-Packard
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0bda:0151 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Mass Storage Device (Multicard Reader)
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04f3:02f0 Elan Microelectronics Corp.
Bus 008 Device 002: ID 10d6:1100 Actions Semiconductor Co., Ltd MPMan MP-Ki 128 MP3 Player/Recorder
mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ modinfo rt2800usb | grep 5370
mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ uname -r
3.2.0-23-generic
mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ dmesg | -i rt5
-i: command not found
mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ dmesg | -l rt5
-l: command not found
mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ dmesg | grep rt5
mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ modinfo rt5370sta | head -n3
filename: /lib/modules/3.2.0-23-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt5370sta.ko
version: 2.5.0.3
license: GPL

Hope to hear from you soon :)

chili555
July 24th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Were there any warnings or errors when you compiled the driver? Can you please rebuild and let us see the outcome?
cd Desktop/RT5370folder <--or wherever you extracted the file
sudo su
make clean
make
make install
exitCopy and paste the terminal output to a text document in gedit, leafpad or whatever text editor Mint has. Save it as demon.txt. Locate it in your user directory, right-click it and select Compress, and select zip. Attach the resulting demon.txt.zip to your reply using the paperclip tool at the top of the reply box.

modinfo rt2800usb | grep 5370Comes up blank, eh? In Ubuntu, it is claimed in the Ubuntu-ized compat-wireless suite which is provided by linux-backports-modules-cw-3.3-precise-generic. Do you have such a thing in Mint? We could also use a little udev trick to get rt2800usb to work, possibly.

demonfire24
July 25th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Ok, rebuilt and have the results in the attached zip file. I wouldn't know if there was an error or not tbh but it looked ok to me. I also don't have any knowledge of the modules i have.. i'm a bit of a noob so sorry about that. Hope you can sort something

chili555
July 25th, 2012, 02:18 AM
There are a ton of warnings and then there are a ton more. This has more holes in it than swiss cheese. The easy way out is:
In Ubuntu, it is claimed in the Ubuntu-ized compat-wireless suite which is provided by linux-backports-modules-cw-3.3-precise-generic. Do you have such a thing in Mint?Please check and install it if you can find it. Then you'll need to uninstall the leaky rt5370sta:
cd Desktop/RT5370folder <--or wherever you extracted the file
sudo su
make uninstall
exit

demonfire24
July 25th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Ok i've uninstalled rt5370sta. My Mint did not have linux-backports-modules-cw-3.3-precise-generic but i have now (after a lot of messing) managed to install it. So what next :)

chili555
July 25th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Make sure that your device is driven by rt2800usb:
modinfo rt2800usb | grep 5370Load it and see if there is an error or warning:
sudo modprobe rt2800usbDid it create a wireless interface, ideally wlan0?
iwconfigDoes it see networks?
sudo iwlist wlan0 scanDoes it connect?

demonfire24
July 25th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Ok do i re install the driver first? noob i know

chili555
July 25th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Ok do i re install the driver first? noob i knowNo. We are going to get the native driver rt2800usb to claim your device. Insert the device in the USB slot and do the steps just above.

demonfire24
July 25th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Wow i think you've cracked it straight away.. full working wireless. I can't thank you enough :) I will post the responses just in case there is errors within them. What you think?

modinfo rt2800usb | grep 5370
alias: usb:v148Fp5370d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ sudo modprobe rt2800usb
mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ iwconfig

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:on

mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 00:22:75:D1:F8:1A
Channel:13
Frequency:2.472 GHz (Channel 13)
Quality=41/70 Signal level=-69 dBm
Encryption key:on
ESSID:"Bertie"
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
18 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
Bit Rates:6 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s
Mode:Master
Extra:tsf=0000000aafd16d69
Extra: Last beacon: 164ms ago
IE: Unknown: 0006426572746965
IE: Unknown: 010882848B961224486C
IE: Unknown: 03010D
IE: Unknown: 2A0104
IE: Unknown: 32040C183060
IE: Unknown: 2D1AEE1113FF000000010000000000000000000000000C0000 000000
IE: Unknown: 3D160D070700000000000000000000000000000000000000
IE: Unknown: 3E0100
IE: WPA Version 1
Group Cipher : TKIP
Pairwise Ciphers (2) : TKIP CCMP
Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
IE: Unknown: DD180050F2020101000003A4000027A4000042435E0062322F 00
IE: Unknown: 7F0101
IE: Unknown: DD07000C4307000000
IE: Unknown: DD1E00904C33EE1113FF000000010000000000000000000000 000C0000000000
IE: Unknown: DD1A00904C340D070700000000000000000000000000000000 000000
IE: Unknown: DDB70050F204104A0001101044000101103B00010310470010 775B6680BFDE11D38D2F002275D1F81A1021001442656C6B69 6E20496E7465726E6174696F6E616C10230018456E68616E63 656420576972656C65737320526F757465721024000C463644 343233302D342076311042000E323039333834323330303433 32321054000800060050F20400011011001F42656C6B696E20 456E68616E63656420576972656C65737320526F7574657210 0800020084103C000101
Cell 02 - Address: CC:B2:55:6A:E2:E0
Channel:1
Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
Quality=33/70 Signal level=-77 dBm
ESSID:"TALKTALK-146"
Extra:tsf=000000012668c161
Extra: Last beacon: 1084ms ago
IE: Unknown: 000C54414C4B54414C4B2D313436
IE: Unknown: 010882848B961224486C
IE: Unknown: 030101
IE: Unknown: 2A0100
IE: Unknown: 32040C183060
IE: Unknown: 2D1AEE1117FFFF0000010000000000000000000000000C0000 000000
IE: Unknown: 3D1601050600000000000000000000000000000000000000
IE: Unknown: 3E0100
Pairwise Ciphers (2) : CCMP TKIP
IE: Unknown: DD180050F2020101800003A4000027A4000042435E0062322F 00
IE: Unknown: 0B05010004127A
IE: Unknown: 7F0101
IE: Unknown: DD07000C4307000000
IE: Unknown: 0706474220010D10
IE: Unknown: DD1E00904C33EE1117FFFF0000010000000000000000000000 000C0000000000
IE: Unknown: DD1A00904C3401050600000000000000000000000000000000 000000
IE: Unknown: DD050050F20500
IE: Unknown: DD780050F204104A00011010440001021041000100103B0001 031047001049A081A8F81B2D55D55BCCB2556AE2E010210006 442D4C696E6B1023000844534C2D323738301024000844534C 2D323738301042000830303030303030301054000800060050 F20400011011000844534C2D32373830100800020086

chili555
July 25th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Looks awesome to me! If it can scan it can usually connect. If 'Bertie' is your network, you'd probably find it easier to connect with WPA2 only and not mixed mode WPA and WPA2 as it is now:
Cell 01 - Address: 00:22:75:D1:F8:1A
Channel:13
Frequency:2.472 GHz (Channel 13)
Quality=41/70 Signal level=-69 dBm
ESSID:"Bertie"
Extra:tsf=0000000aafd16d69
Extra: Last beacon: 164ms ago
<snip>
IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
Authentication Suites (1) : PSKCan you click the Network Manager icon and connect?

demonfire24
July 26th, 2012, 12:21 AM
There doesn't seem to be an option for WPA2 only? Just mixed or WEP alone. Yes can access network and connect successfully. So if and when i upgrade again do i just do the final steps you went through earlier and not worry about the driver install?

chili555
July 26th, 2012, 02:47 AM
So if and when i upgrade again do i just do the final steps you went through earlier and not worry about the driver install?When you update, presumably the kernel, the upgrade should also upgrade the corresponding linux-backports-modules-cw package. That's all you need.
Yes can access network and connect successfully.Awesome! Glad it's working.

demonfire24
July 26th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Many thanks for the help. One thing i will say is the speed seems to be quite slow, is there a way to calibrate that?

chili555
July 26th, 2012, 09:39 PM
the speed seems to be quite slow, How so? Please let us see:
iwconfig
ping -c3 www.google.comWhat are your speedtest.net test results compared to other computers on the same network?

demonfire24
July 26th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Hmmmm, results seem ok in comparison to windows. Just seems a lot slower, especially streaming. Results

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:"Bertie"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.452 GHz Access Point: 00:22:75:D1:F8:1A
Bit Rate=45 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
Link Quality=29/70 Signal level=-81 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:43 Invalid misc:40 Missed beacon:0

mark@mark-Aspire-X3812 ~ $ ping -c3 www.google.com
PING www.l.google.com (74.125.132.99) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from wb-in-f99.1e100.net (74.125.132.99): icmp_req=1 ttl=46 time=31.8 ms
64 bytes from wb-in-f99.1e100.net (74.125.132.99): icmp_req=2 ttl=48 time=41.2 ms
64 bytes from wb-in-f99.1e100.net (74.125.132.99): icmp_req=3 ttl=48 time=41.1 ms

--- www.l.google.com ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2002ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 31.849/38.085/41.242/4.409 ms

Speedtest.net ping 29ms Download 10.12 Upload 0.96

chili555
July 27th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Looks awesome to me. I see nothing wrong except:
wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:"Bertie"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.452 GHz Access Point: 00:22:75:D1:F8:1A
Bit Rate=45 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
Link Quality=29/70 Signal level=-81 dBm Are you close to the router?

demonfire24
July 27th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Well its about 10 meters away so not sure why its only around 20-30% It does keep disconnecting too. I think the streaming could be graphic drivers and such but i've no idea how to set it up properly.

MaccyDG
August 11th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Thank you, Chili - I have read so many posts on how to get this card to work, and even tried ndiswrapper as a last resort. It turned out to be the second-to-last resort, because your way worked perfectly!

NB to others: the first time I tried this method, I had an ethernet cable plugged into the laptop and the wireless card was not plugged in. I got no installation errors, but the card didn't work. I unplugged the ethernet cable and plugged the wireless card in, and tried installing again, and this time it worked.

mcaureliojr
August 29th, 2012, 07:27 PM

sudo su
make
make install
modprobe rt5370sta

I got this error after in the end:
ralink# modprobe rt5370sta
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
FATAL: Error inserting rt5370sta (/lib/modules/2.6.32-42-generic-pae/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt5370sta.ko): Device or resource busy
root@serpro-1528852:/home/xxx/Desktop/ralink#

What im doing wrong?

chili555
August 29th, 2012, 07:42 PM
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.Let's see what's in there and fix it up:
cat /etc/modprobe.conf
FATAL: Error inserting rt5370sta (/lib/modules/2.6.32-42-generic-pae/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt5370sta.ko): Device or resource busyIt usually means some other driver is already loaded. Let's check:
lsmod | grep -e rt2 -e rt5

mcaureliojr
August 29th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Let's see what's in there and fix it up:
cat /etc/modprobe.confIt usually means some other driver is already loaded. Let's check:

Great, just ON but what should I do now to make the device start?

# cat /etc/modprobe.conf
options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7 dma=3
# lsmod | grep -e rt2 -e rt5
rt2870sta 461971 0

# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp.

chili555
August 29th, 2012, 08:09 PM
# cat /etc/modprobe.conf
options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7 dma=3Let's just move it to the right spot:
sudo mv /etc/modprobe.conf /etc/modprobe.d/parport_pc.conf
rt2870sta 461971 0
It looks like rt2870sta is loaded already. I doubt it covers your 5370 device. Any idea how or why it got loaded? It's OK, you can tell Dr. Chili!

mcaureliojr
August 29th, 2012, 08:17 PM
cat /etc/modprobe.confIt usually means some other driver is already loaded. Let's check:

I made that las command and got this:
rt2870sta 461971 0

But how to do to start device and make it work?

chili555
August 29th, 2012, 08:21 PM
I made that las command and got this:
rt2870sta 461971 0

But how to do to start device and make it work?Please:
Any idea how or why it got loaded?What have you tried previously involving rt2870sta. I highly doubt it just loaded itself. We need to figure that out and fix it first.

mcaureliojr
August 29th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Please:What have you tried previously involving rt2870sta. I highly doubt it just loaded itself. We need to figure that out and fix it first.

I have no idea, I just follow the command in the beginning of this post

chili555
August 29th, 2012, 08:25 PM
I have no idea, I just follow the command in the beginning of this postPlease let me see:
history | grep rt28
cat /etc/modules
modinfo rt2870sta | grep 5370Thanks.

mcaureliojr
August 29th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Please let me see:
history | grep rt28
cat /etc/modules
modinfo rt2870sta | grep 5370Thanks.

# history | grep rt28
364 | 29/08/12 - 16:28:48 | modprobe rt2870sta
368 | 29/08/12 - 16:28:48 | modprobe rt2870sta
377 | 27/10/11 - 15:11:24 | /sbin/insmod rt2870sta.o
378 | 27/10/11 - 15:12:41 | $/sbin/insmod rt2870sta.ko
390 | 27/10/11 - 15:16:26 | ./insmod rt2870sta.ko
396 | 27/10/11 - 15:26:10 | chmod 777 rt2860.bin
398 | 27/10/11 - 15:26:15 | ./rt2860.bin
399 | 27/10/11 - 15:26:25 | mv rt2860.bin /bin
401 | 27/10/11 - 15:26:36 | ./rt2860.bin
424 | 29/08/12 - 16:28:48 | modprobe rt2870sta
1049 | 29/08/12 - 16:29:24 | modprobe rt2870sta
1050 | 29/08/12 - 16:29:42 | modprobe -r rt2870sta
1054 | 29/08/12 - 16:30:43 | modprobe rt2870sta
1055 | 29/08/12 - 16:31:10 | history | grep rt28
---------------------------------------------------------------
# cat /etc/modules
#

RT2870STA
rt2870sta
loop
lp

rt5370sta
---------------------------------------------------------------
# modinfo rt2870sta | grep 2870
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.32-42-generic-pae/kernel/drivers/staging/rt2870/rt2870sta.ko
alias: usb:v07B8p2870d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
alias: usb:v148Fp2870d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*

chili555
August 29th, 2012, 08:41 PM
I have no idea,Ummm hmmm, I see. Please do:
sudo gedit /etc/modulesRemove the two lines I've highlighted.
#

RT2870STA
rt2870sta
loop
lp
Proofread carefully, save and close gedit. Reboot. Now do:
sudo modprobe rt5370staAny improvement?

mcaureliojr
August 29th, 2012, 08:54 PM

# modprobe rt5370sta
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.
FATAL: Error inserting rt5370sta (/lib/modules/2.6.32-42-generic-pae/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt5370sta.ko): Device or resource busy
rt2870sta 461971 0

chili555
August 30th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Wow.

Did you try ndiswrapper for this device or some other? If for this device, you don't need it and we can remove it:
sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapperLet's see:
modinfo rt2870sta | grep -e 5370 -e version
iwconfig
lsmod | grep ndisThanks.

mcaureliojr
August 30th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Wow.

Did you try ndiswrapper for this device or some other? If for this device, you don't need it and we can remove it:
sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapperLet's see:
modinfo rt2870sta | grep -e 5370 -e version
iwconfig
lsmod | grep ndisThanks.

Got this:
# rm /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper
--------------------------------
# modinfo rt2870sta | grep -e 5370 -e version
version: 2.0.1.0
srcversion: 169A56F8E0E6AA9C2B2FD02
vermagic: 2.6.32-42-generic-pae SMP mod_unload modversions 586TSC
# iwconfig

# lsmod | grep ndis
ndiswrapper 184867 0
#

chili555
August 30th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Did you try ndiswrapper for this device or some other? I asked for a reason. I don't want to remove something you need for some other purpose.

Helladog
October 28th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Thanks to the contributors of this thread for your help. I got my device to work after a bit of work using the newer code and original instructions.

naelphin
October 29th, 2012, 04:49 AM

sudo su
make
make install
modprobe rt5370sta

the manufacturer changed the filename and forgot to put in the .tar before the .bz2. I had trouble until I renamed the file, now it works perfectly.

http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_support/license.php?sn=5016

(and yes you need to make as root or it fails!)

japollock
July 19th, 2013, 06:05 AM

sudo su
make
make install
modprobe rt5370sta

If I could upvote these instructions on the Internet, I would. I've spent the last week searching and making various attempts to get my Ralink 5730 usb wireless adapter to work with Ubuntu. I'm not that savvy apparently because nothing worked. Tried these instructions with no tweaking required, and network manager just discovers my new wireless device. Awesome. Thank you Chili.

wayne4
September 29th, 2013, 11:40 AM
The 'license taints kernel' is trivial (and fixable) but wouldn't stop the driver from working. The unknown symbol errors are what we need to fix, however. Can you run:
sudo su
make clean
makeThen copy all the text from the terminal and paste into a text document and copy that to a USB key or similar so we can see and, hopefully, fix them?

Hello all,

I have been dealing with Tubadaddy's same issue, and got to this point before everything got really frustrating.

Here is a link to my terminal's display after running
sudo su
make clean
make

:arrow: 246585

I also read into adding in the module_license("GPL") line, but got hung up on adding in the symlink. This is my fifth day of working in Linux trying to get this adapter to work, sooooo... newbish? Yes, absolutely... but not a quitter.

any help or general direction is appreciated :)

chili555
September 29th, 2013, 03:10 PM
This is my fifth day of working in Linux trying to get this adapter to work, sooooo... newbish? Yes, absolutely... but not a quitter.

any help or general direction is appreciated :)Actually, your build went without error, however, there are so many warnings that I'm quite sure the driver won't work well if at all!

You have certainly made a tough job for yourself:
Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic'That suggests that you installed Ubuntu 10.04 or maybe even earlier and it may not even be fully updated. That's like buying a Pentium II and 256Mb of RAM. Can you run it? Barely. Could you, with a bit more effort, have a smoothly running system and few or no troubles? Oh, yes!

I strongly suggest you install Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS at least and even Ubuntu 13.04 where your device works out of the box!

wayne4
September 29th, 2013, 10:43 PM
That suggests that you installed Ubuntu 10.04 or maybe even earlier and it may not even be fully updated. That's like buying a Pentium II and 256Mb of RAM. Can you run it? Barely. Could you, with a bit more effort, have a smoothly running system and few or no troubles? Oh, yes!

I strongly suggest you install Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS at least and even Ubuntu 13.04 where your device works out of the box!

Actually, now that I'm checking it out, I'm running Karmic Koala, which I'm realizing is pretty ancient. Where can I go to download the new version?

chili555
September 29th, 2013, 10:50 PM
For 13.04, right here: http://releases.ubuntu.com/raring/

wayne4
October 8th, 2013, 03:53 AM
Just installed 13.04 and everything connected without any troubles at all! Thank you! :)

adkarfa
October 28th, 2013, 07:25 PM
I really need help to install it, Actually I am using LeoxSys Usb Wifi Device, I get Driver CD.

I install that on Windows OS it is working fine, where I see the using "RT2870 Wireless LAN Card" on Windows

How to Install that same for Ubuntu 12.04?

Thank You

chili555
October 28th, 2013, 07:29 PM
I really need help to install it, Actually I am using LeoxSys Usb Wifi Device, I get Driver CD.

I install that on Windows OS it is working fine, where I see the using "RT2870 Wireless LAN Card" on Windows

How to Install that same for Ubuntu 12.04?

Thank YouPlease start your own new thread and include:
lsusbI suspect you do not have an RT5370 device but something else.

tom14
November 10th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Hello Chilli,it's me again,Tom.I finally received my RT5370 usb wifi dongle after waiting a long time.I was trying hard to make it work,and not to bother you with this,but no success.I think that driver could be installed ok,but I don't know how to enable it.I have "build-essential" and "linux-headers-generic" installed,and have also changed "n" to "y" where needed in code.Here is lsmod.Please help me.

tom@tom-HP-Compaq-nc8000-DU449EA-ABD:~$ lsmod
Module Size Used by
nls_iso8859_1 12617 0
nls_cp437 12751 0
vfat 17308 0
fat 55605 1 vfat
usb_storage 39646 0
rt2800usb 22373 0
rt2800lib 53298 1 rt2800usb
rt2x00usb 20099 1 rt2800usb
rt2x00lib 48923 3 rt2800usb,rt2800lib,rt2x00usb
arc4 12473 2
joydev 17393 0
snd_intel8x0 33455 3
snd_ac97_codec 110213 1 snd_intel8x0
ac97_bus 12642 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm 80916 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
snd_seq_midi 13132 0
snd_rawmidi 25424 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 14475 1 snd_seq_midi
ath5k 145127 0
radeon 733899 2
snd_seq 51592 2 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
ath 19387 1 ath5k
rtl8187 56323 0
snd_timer 28931 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
mac80211 436493 5 rt2800lib,rt2x00usb,rt2x00lib,ath5k,rtl8187
snd_seq_device 14172 3 snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
pcmcia 39826 0
ttm 65344 1 radeon
drm_kms_helper 45466 1 radeon
snd 62218 13 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,sn d_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
psmouse 96744 0
cfg80211 178877 5 rt2x00lib,ath5k,ath,rtl8187,mac80211
drm 197641 4 radeon,ttm,drm_kms_helper
soundcore 14635 1 snd
smsc_ircc2 28358 0
serio_raw 13027 0
snd_page_alloc 14115 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
eeprom_93cx6 12687 1 rtl8187
yenta_socket 27428 0
irda 185517 1 smsc_ircc2
pcmcia_rsrc 18367 1 yenta_socket
pcmcia_core 21511 3 pcmcia,yenta_socket,pcmcia_rsrc
rfcomm 38139 4
bnep 17830 2
bluetooth 158447 10 rfcomm,bnep
parport_pc 32114 1
ppdev 12849 0
video 19115 0
crc_ccitt 12627 2 rt2800lib,irda
binfmt_misc 17292 1
i2c_algo_bit 13199 1 radeon
wmi 18744 0
mac_hid 13077 0
shpchp 32265 0
lp 17455 0
parport 40930 3 parport_pc,ppdev,lp
firewire_ohci 40180 0
tg3 141465 0
firewire_core 56940 1 firewire_ohci
crc_itu_t 12627 1 firewire_core
floppy 60184 0
tom@tom-HP-Compaq-nc8000-DU449EA-ABD:~$

chili555
November 10th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Wow, Tom! I don't even know where to start looking for your particulars in a 13 page thread. Please start your own new thread and include:
lsb_release -d
lsusb
Send me a private message with the link if I don't catch it right away and I'll be glad to help.

jaffaizal
October 12th, 2014, 05:55 AM
Chili555,

Thank you. The WiFi USB card now works.

Went here to download the driver: http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads/rt8070-rt3070-rt3370-rt3572-rt5370-rt5372-rt5572-usb-usb/

then,
make
make install
modprobe rt5370sta

only the last command give me an error message. But I ignored this. Saw that the USB Card now lighted up.
Changes done with 'Network Manager' does not work.

In fact i read somewhere else that to install wicd.

sudo apt-get install wicd

open wicd network manager
click on the 'properties' of the wifi network you want to connect
key in the correct IP, NETMASK, GATEWAY, DNS server and the Encryption method

It is now working.

Thank you very much.

Keep up the good work.

Jaf

Nico_Janow
January 12th, 2015, 10:36 PM
I followed the instructions here, using driver 2.6.1.3, but get the following make error:

^
/home/nico/newrt5370/nrt5370/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_linux.c: In function ‘__RtmpOSFSInfoChange’:
/home/nico/newrt5370/nrt5370/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_linux.c:1141:20: error: incompatible types when assigning to type ‘int’ from type ‘kuid_t’
pOSFSInfo->fsuid = current_fsuid();
^
/home/nico/newrt5370/nrt5370/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_linux.c:1142:20: error: incompatible types when assigning to type ‘int’ from type ‘kgid_t’
pOSFSInfo->fsgid = current_fsgid();
^
make[2]: *** [/home/nico/newrt5370/nrt5370/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_linux.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/nico/newrt5370/nrt5370/os/linux] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-39-generic'
make: *** [LINUX] Error 2

I tried makefile, but got:

install: cannot stat ‘rt5572sta.ko’: No such file or directory

I'm running 14.04 64 bit. Perhaps it's a problem with the changes with this version?

mörgæs
January 12th, 2015, 11:57 PM
The majority of the thread is some years old, and much can happen in the Buntu world during that time. The advice here is not necessarily valid for 14.04 and 14.10.

Closing the thread but you are welcome to open a new one. If you do then please read the sticky notes first and post the relevant output.