PDA

View Full Version : Auxilliary Bandwidth

Eiji Takanaka
July 8th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Upon using a broadband mobile service, and having run out of credit..(boo hiss:).

I thought i would see if dns traffic was still usable over the auxilliary service. Strangely it was.

You can resolve the names of any dns service you wanted, not only that but you could also ping any computer you wished, although no reply was sent back.

I ran a short test to see what sort of bandwidth was available on this skeleton system, and strangely it was up to 250 kb/s. upstream.

Replys were returned downstream to dns lookups.

What i found even stranger was that port scanning was also available over this auxialliary internet connection.

Has anyone else had a similar experience whilst testing the connection so to speak?

Wouldn't a tunnelled vpn over 53 allow for a completely free internet solution?

Might be something for any internet broadband provider to consider at the very least.

I'm not too familiar with mobile broadband, although i am fairly familiar with the in's and out's of wi-fi.

This sort of stuff fascinates me, telecommunications and what not, to try and understand how it works.

Eiji Takanaka
July 8th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Perhaps though because there was no ping reply, it was merely testing the bandwidth of the connection to the broadband service provider, and nothing more.

I guess i have yet much more to learn with regards to such things! ;)