PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] unable to edit main menu???

lalitha niharika
July 8th, 2011, 02:25 PM
When I am right clicking on menu or clicking on main menu (system<preferences) nothing is opening.I tried reinstalling gnome desktop, python..and there is no use.What should I do now??I want to edit my menu.:(

adit
July 8th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Which version of ubuntu are you using?
What happens when you type into terminal

alacarte

lalitha niharika
July 8th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I am using 10.10 , gnome.
I typed in terminal.got this
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/alacarte", line 37, in <module>
main()
File "/usr/bin/alacarte", line 33, in main
app = MainWindow(datadir, version, sys.argv)
File "/usr/share/alacarte/Alacarte/MainWindow.py", line 49, in __init__
self.editor = MenuEditor()
File "/usr/share/alacarte/Alacarte/MenuEditor.py", line 36, in __init__
self.__loadMenus()
File "/usr/share/alacarte/Alacarte/MenuEditor.py", line 63, in __loadMenus
self.save(True)
File "/usr/share/alacarte/Alacarte/MenuEditor.py", line 67, in save
fd = open(getattr(self, menu).path, 'w')
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home/lalitha/.config/menus/applications.menu'

e79
July 8th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Does right-clicking the top menu in Gnome (Applications, Places, System) and choosing 'Edit Menus' work by any chances ?

Or does this works :

sudo alacarte
(as you have a permission denied)

lalitha niharika
July 8th, 2011, 04:58 PM
yes!! this is working...sudo alacarte...thanks!! but can I do something to get it on right clicking??

adit
July 8th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Actually sudo not required. There are problems with permissions in your home directory. Check the owner and permissions in your home directory.

ls -al

adit
July 8th, 2011, 05:37 PM
can I do something to get it on right clicking?
The python script /usr/bin/alacarte can be called in one of the following three ways
1) Type alacarte in terminal
2) Click System -> Preferences -> Main Menu
3) Right Click -> Edit Menus
The result is same. If one way works without errors, the other ways also will work.

e79
July 8th, 2011, 06:28 PM
yes!! this is working...sudo alacarte...thanks!! but can I do something to get it on right clicking??

I'm glad to see it work at least with Sudo, we're getting there !

Actually sudo not required. There are problems with permissions in your home directory. Check the owner and permissions in your home directory.

ls -al

Yup, more precisely :

ls -alh /home/lalitha/.config/menus/applications.menu
(since it seems to be the file not having the proper permission)

lalitha niharika
July 9th, 2011, 04:19 AM
tab is opening using that command but I am unable to edit anything in that:(.Plz tell me someway in which I can modify it??

adit
July 9th, 2011, 08:47 AM
tab is opening using that command but I am unable to edit anything in that
Type into terminal

ls -alh /home/Your_User_Name/.config/menus/applications.menu
and post the output of the above command

adit
July 9th, 2011, 09:04 AM
tab is opening using that command but I am unable to edit anything in that
I guess exactly what happened. You tried to select the output with mouse and accidentally right clicked the mouse. See screenshot. That is why a new tab opened.
Try again.

sikander3786
July 10th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Yeah, definitely sounds like a permissions problem. We definitely need to see the output of this command:

ls -alh ~/.config/menus/applications.menu

Just copy/paste this command into your Terminal and there should be some output rather than opening up of a new Tab. Highlight that output as you'd simply do in any other application like Firefox or Word Processor and copy/paste the output here by right clicking it.

Or if that doesn't work for you, run this command instead:

ls -alh ~/.config/menus/applications.menu | tee ~/output

It would show the output and also, it would generate a new file in your /home directory named 'output'. You can copy/paste the text from that file onto the forums.

Added: BTW, almost all the configuration files in the home directory are simply recreated upon removal. Just tested changing the permission on my ~/.config/menus/applications.menu and then removing it. It solved the issue, so the simplest thing for you to do would probably be simply renaming the existing file. Run this command:

mv ~/.config/menus/applications.menu ~/.config/menus/applications.menu.bad

And again try to edit the menus.

lalitha niharika
July 11th, 2011, 06:01 AM
no tab is opening after typing this.What I meant in previous post is, edit menu tab is opening after using sudo alacatre command, but I am unable to edit anything in that.

output of command ls -alh ~/.config/menus/applications.menu
ls: cannot access /home/lalitha/.config/menus/applications.menu: Permission denied

adit
July 11th, 2011, 06:37 AM
What I meant in previous post is, edit menu tab is opening
That is not "tab", that should be called "window".

but I am unable to edit anything in that.
Again permission problem. The output shows you are not the owner of the above file. In a default installation of ubuntu this should not happen.
What did you do? (to lose the ownership of the above file)
What is the output of

sudo ls -alh ~/.config/menus/applications.menu

lalitha niharika
July 11th, 2011, 08:47 AM
your command didnt solve the prob:(

output
sudo ls -alh ~/.config/menus/applications.menu
ls: cannot access /home/lalitha/.config/menus/applications.menu: No such file or directory

I don't know the reason..I didn't do anything to loose ownership:confused:what would be the reason??is there any way of correcting it??

lalitha niharika
July 11th, 2011, 08:49 AM
My installation is manual, I selected partitions.Can that effect ownership??

sikander3786
July 11th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I wonder if you are missing the whole .config directory. Please post the output of these commands:

ls -alh ~ | grep .config

sudo ls -alh ~ | grep .config

If the output is still the same i.e. 'ls: cannot access ...', open your home directory in File Browser and press Ctrl + H to see the hidden files. Can you see the .config directory?

adit
July 11th, 2011, 09:46 AM
My installation is manual, I selected partitions.Can that effect ownership??
No, That is not the cause of your problem

From your first post

I tried reinstalling gnome desktop, python
Why did you reinstall gnome desktop and python. I think this is the cause of your problem. The basic problem is you do not have permissions to access your own home directory.
To display owners and permissions of any directory

ls -al
In case you do not know, read the following tutorials to get a basic understanding of permissions, owner etc.
http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/filepermissions.html
http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fileowner.html

lalitha niharika
July 11th, 2011, 11:40 AM
lalitha@lalitha-desktop:~$ ls -alh ~ | grep .config
drwxr-xr-x 26 lalitha lalitha 4.0K 2011-07-11 13:36 .config
drwxr-xr-x 2 lalitha lalitha 4.0K 2011-07-08 09:19 .fontconfig

lalitha@lalitha-desktop:~$ sudo ls -alh ~ | grep .config
[sudo] password for lalitha:
ls: cannot access /home/lalitha/.gvfs: Permission denied
drwxr-xr-x 26 lalitha lalitha 4.0K 2011-07-11 13:36 .config
drwxr-xr-x 2 lalitha lalitha 4.0K 2011-07-08 09:19 .fontconfig
lalitha@lalitha-desktop:~$

adit: no,that is not the reason.first I got problem, then to solve it I reinstalled.I read that solution in one of the forum threads.

lalitha niharika
July 11th, 2011, 11:43 AM
I already tried that, I opened .conf folder.It is saying that I am not the owner.I saw in properties<permissions.

adit
July 11th, 2011, 01:46 PM
The following command lists all the files in the home directory not owned by you.

find ~ ! -user lalitha
For your privacy:
The output of above command usually will not contain the names of your personal files created by you. Anyway verify the output carefully. If it contains the names of any of your personal files, delete those lines and post the rest of the output.
Edit: If the output is very large, don't post in the forum directly. Save the output in a text file and attach the file.

lalitha niharika
July 12th, 2011, 04:08 AM
lalitha@lalitha-desktop:~$ find ~ ! -user lalitha
/home/lalitha/.mozilla/plugins
/home/lalitha/.config/menus
find: `/home/lalitha/.config/menus': Permission denied
lalitha@lalitha-desktop:~$

I upgraded my system just before one month.Then I didn't like 11.04.so I formatted and newly installed 10.10.Its just before 1 weak!!

can I solve my problem by upgrading????

rushikesh988
July 12th, 2011, 04:16 AM
The following command lists all the files in the home directory not owned by you.

find ~ ! -user lalitha
For your privacy:
The output of above command usually will not contain the names of your personal files created by you. Anyway verify the output carefully. If it contains the names of any of your personal files, delete those lines and post the rest of the output.
Edit: If the output is very large, don't post in the forum directly. Save the output in a text file and attach the file.
nice command...

rushikesh988
July 12th, 2011, 04:29 AM
Check out This Site .. may be links of pages on this site will help you http://www.timelordz.com/wiki/Gnome_Menus

lalitha niharika
July 12th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Thanks to all!!Problem got solved..I simply created anther account, deleted this account.:popcorn: