PDA

View Full Version : how to remove assert in C ?

lucasart
July 8th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Hello

I'm writing C code with some assert(...) from assert.h. When I want to compile a "release" version, the only way I've found to remove the assert is as follows

#define NDEBUG
#include <assert.h>

Just to clarify, it's plain C (not C++), that I I compile as follows:

gcc -O3 -o ./chess *.c

Any idea how to remove the assert, *without* modifying a single line of code ?

Thank you

MadCow108
July 8th, 2011, 02:29 PM
use the -D flag:

gcc -DNDEBUG -O3 -o ./chess *.c

lucasart
July 8th, 2011, 02:33 PM
use the -D flag:

gcc -DNDEBUG -O3 -o ./chess *.c

Thanks

Just to confirm: is it correct to say that -DXXX is equivalent to writing

#define XXX

on top of every single *.c file ?

JupiterV2
July 8th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks

Just to confirm: is it correct to say that -DXXX is equivalent to writing

#define XXX

on top of every single *.c file ?

Yes.

You may also want to add the following:

#ifdef NDEBUG
# include <assert.h>
#else /* debugging not enabled */
# define assert(x) /* empty macro to prevent errors */
#endif

This makes all those assertions not generate warnings or errors when assert.h isn't included in your sources. You will need to put that boilerplate into every one of your source files by copy and pasting it there or creating a "debug.h" header and including it into all your sources.

nvteighen
July 8th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Yes.

You may also want to add the following:

#ifdef NDEBUG
# include <assert.h>
#else /* debugging not enabled */
# define assert(x) /* empty macro to prevent errors */
#endif

This makes all those assertions not generate warnings or errors when assert.h isn't included in your sources. You will need to put that boilerplate into every one of your source files by copy and pasting it there or creating a "debug.h" header and including it into all your sources.

Actually, that is the only true solution to the problem. Just preventing inclusion of assert.h won't prevent linking with the C Standard Library, which obviously has assert() in it.

Bachstelze
July 8th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Actually, that is the only true solution to the problem. Just preventing inclusion of assert.h won't prevent linking with the C Standard Library, which obviously has assert() in it.

One could also enclose each call to assert() between #ifdef/#endif. I can't say I like the solution, though. This will effectively make the program silently fail when something goes wrong, which I don't really like because it gives the false impression that everything is fine. From a security standpoint at the very least, it's a very bad thing. I say you should leave it have people report the bug to you when they encounter one.