PDA

View Full Version : What problems could a missing pin cause?

ki4jgt
July 8th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I have a missing pin in my monitor connection (besides the default one which already exists) what kind of problems could it cause? I've been using it on my netbook (it's a life saver, I turned the netbook screen off) but now I'm kind of concerned. What type of damage could occur if I continue using it?

ki4jgt
July 8th, 2011, 01:51 PM
I have a missing pin in my monitor connection (besides the default one which already exists) what kind of problems could it cause? I've been using it on my netbook (it's a life saver, I turned the netbook screen off) but now I'm kind of concerned. What type of damage could occur if I continue using it?

Sorry guys, did some earlier reading on a site that said only one pin was suppossed to be missing, now I'm reading two from another site. Which one is correct and if it's one, what damage can it do?

haqking
July 8th, 2011, 01:59 PM
are you talking about a regular VGA connector ?

15 pin ?

from what i remember, a long time ago ;-) pin 5, 9 and 15 are not used anyways, some manufacturers leave them in and some take them out.

what cable exactly do you have ?

wizard10000
July 8th, 2011, 02:42 PM
It'd help knowing which pin was missing :)

http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/VGA_(VESA_DDC)

I've pulled pin 12 in multiple monitor setups where I wanted the PC to get its DDC information from a single monitor (or from no monitor) but other than that it looks like most of the pins are in use.

So does the monitor work?

Elfy
July 8th, 2011, 02:55 PM
It'd help knowing which pin was missing :)

http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/VGA_(VESA_DDC)

I've pulled pin 12 in multiple monitor setups where I wanted the PC to get its DDC information from a single monitor (or from no monitor) but other than that it looks like most of the pins are in use.

So does the monitor work?

The ) is missing from the URL, it's the other side of the bbcode, I could change it but it's probably better if you do :)

LowSky
July 8th, 2011, 02:59 PM
You could always replace the cable

wizard10000
July 8th, 2011, 04:05 PM
The ) is missing from the URL, it's the other side of the bbcode, I could change it but it's probably better if you do :)

Tanks!

haqking
July 8th, 2011, 04:14 PM
not all VGA cables used the same pins.

http://www.monitorworld.com/faq_pages/q17_page.html

ki4jgt
July 9th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Thanks guys. Read up on the links (great info). The monitor is missing the right pins after all. whew. . . worried to death, wondering if I even needed to have it hooked into my netbook.

Dustin2128
July 9th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I've got an old CRT with a missing vga pin. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. *shrug*

lisati
July 9th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I've got an old CRT with a missing vga pin. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. *shrug*

I have an old CRT-based monitor that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I haven't looked too closely at the pins.....

Dustin2128
July 9th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I have an old CRT-based monitor that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I haven't looked too closely at the pins.....
Main reason I'm keeping it is because it's capable of absurdly huge resolutions. Something like 2560x1500, don't remember.

mips
July 9th, 2011, 01:02 PM
And still nobody knows which pins are missing.

The thread is useless without that information and any comments are mere speculation.

haqking
July 9th, 2011, 01:06 PM
And still nobody knows which pins are missing.

The thread is useless without that information and any comments are mere speculation.

and yet another thread asking for help, not only do we have to provide the help but also figure out what is being asked cos no information was given ;-)

yet i keep coming back for more, i think that says more about me than the threads...LOl oh well cest la vie ;)

mips
July 9th, 2011, 01:37 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2482/3991920816_6819c491ea.jpg

haqking
July 9th, 2011, 01:42 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2482/3991920816_6819c491ea.jpg

ha ha whats scary is i am sure i know the guy on the far right ;-)

ki4jgt
July 10th, 2011, 10:47 AM
It's a VGA cable. It's missing 5 and 15. I read different sites which stated that monitors started smoking. One site would say that only one pin was supposed to be missing, another said two, then I got to a site which said that power from the monitor could leak into the computer and fry it :-( The web is filled with horrible information from idiots, flamers, and trolls :( After getting the correct info, I feel much better :-). It's an acer aspire one (netbook) hooked up to a Dell monitor. The VGA cord is wired into the monitored, so no replace :-( anyways, thanks again guys.

EDIT: The monitor works perfectly.

grahammechanical
July 10th, 2011, 11:44 AM
The handbook for my old CRT monitor gives this pin out info

pin 1 Red video input
pin 2 Green video input
pin 3 Blue video input
pin 4 Indent output - connected to pin 10
pin 5 Self-test input
pin 6 Red video ground
pin 7 Green video ground
pin 8 Blue video ground
pin 9 Not connected - no pin
pin 10 Logic ground
pin 11 Indent output - connected to pin 10
pin 12 Indent output - not connected
pin 13 Horizontal Sync
pin 14 Vertical Sync
pin 15 Not connected
Regards.

P.S. If you are worried about missing pins then you could always get a new 15 pin D-Sub connector and solder the wires of the cable to the correct pins. I had to do this when I had broken wires in the monitor cable.

mips
July 10th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Why not just get another cable?

If the cable is part of the monitor (not detachable) then you could always cut tow pins (the type a taylor uses) and push the sharp ends into the plastic so it seats between the plastic & what's left of the old pin.

5 is ground and there's more than one of those and 15 is for plug & play stuff in later standards.