PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dedicated pci16x graphics card that will fit and run 220w/solve issues

JPfan
July 8th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I am am very new to linux and have installed ubuntu dual boot windows 7 on a new el1384 e.machine. The first issue I had was not being able to see boot text such as the bios or os boot menu due to a "signal out of range" on the monitor (also new). I installed startup manager and am now able to boot windows if I need it (but only because startup manager is high resolution, the monitor/or onboard nvidia does not want to display bios/boot low res text. The second issue I have been having is you tube freezing the system. If I remember correctly (not at home pc now) I removed nvidia driver, tried youtube again, reinstalled, same thing, rebooted same thing, but havent got much further than that. I like fast and enjoy hq video and sometimes hook into a projector. So might an aftermarket video card surpass or deal with these issues?
With a new card I will be using a decent new hdmi cable, so I will be using a different connection to the monitor. However I am not ruling out a video card that only has vga.

so any thoughts on this or suggestions for low profile pci express x16 or 5 graphics card that will fit in the small emachine, run on the 220w power supply, work easily with ubuntu, and is under 50$?? (i am ok with going back into windows to mount the video card)

dino99
July 8th, 2011, 01:31 PM
you may confuse 2 different things:

- bios is the motherboard first software which start, before OS or graphic, because it first need to initialize hardware, nothing else. You have to set it first as you need (read the motherboard doc)

- after selecting the OS into the grub menu, then the distro start. The resolution of this menu can be set using startupmanager as you like.

dino99
July 8th, 2011, 01:33 PM
so any thoughts on this or suggestions for low profile pci express x16 or 5 graphics card that will fit in the small emachine, run on the 220w power supply, work easily with ubuntu, and is under 50$?? (i am ok with going back into windows to mount the video card)

you are joking right ?

http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx?Slanguage=en