PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Configuring GNOME 3

Anders H
July 8th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Hi guys,

I've been running 11.04 for a while now and I've not really encountered many issues with Unity, yes its not as customisable as Gnome 2, nor as stable, but I really can't knock too hard. However I've been messing around with Gnome 3 and while its not Gnome 2 it does have some extra polish and features out of the box that I like. So I'm interested in making the jump, especially if 11.10 will offer Gnome 3 out of the box so I can get acquainted with it early.

However there are some things holding me back specifically some Unity features that I really like:

1 - The keyboard short cuts, specifically the ones to related to moving and resizing windows via the keypad.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/list-of-ubuntu-unity-keyboard-shortcuts.html

The Gnome 3 way of resizing windows with the keyboard is more precise but painfully slow.

2 - Getting a minimise button back would be great.

3 - Also is there any way to change how Gnome 3 handles generating desktops, ie
making a "wall" or generating them horizontally vs vertically?

These are not deal breakers for me and so long as I can get it running on my box without too much instability I'll be using it soon.

I'll post more if I come up with them.

Anders H
July 8th, 2011, 07:26 AM
4 - how do I change the "suspend" option to "shut down"

golagoda
July 8th, 2011, 07:39 AM
From what I remember during my time with Gnome 3 on fedora is that these things are possible using gnome-tweak-tool, it is probably in the ubuntu repos.

cbowman57
July 8th, 2011, 07:48 AM
2- Gnome-tweak-tool
4- Alternate status or power off extension.

Anders H
July 10th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Thank you both of you.

I've also come up with some new questions

5 - Does any one know of a way to make Gnome start with more than one desktop?

6 - Once I get it on (later today) what, if any packages can I remove (like Compiz?) once I know GNOME won't be crashing on me every hour?

Thanks again.