PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] installing unity

nos09
July 8th, 2011, 06:57 AM
i just downloaded kubuntu DVD and now I want to try out gnome with unity... and have no idea how to do it!!! hall me if you can
thanks

dasan
July 8th, 2011, 07:09 AM
from synaptic install ubuntu-desktop
I hope unity desktop will come along with it

nos09
July 8th, 2011, 07:20 AM
from synaptic install ubuntu-desktop
I hope unity desktop will come along with it

yup hope it works.. ;)

Bucky Ball
July 8th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Or just install Unity from Synaptics and leave the desktop bloat. If you do it with ubuntu-desktop you will get all the ubuntu-desktop packages as well as Unity (much of which you won't want) and effectively be running kubuntu and Ubuntu; you can choose which at login.

Installing just Unity should make it available from 'Session' tab at login.

nos09
July 8th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Or just install Unity from Synaptics and leave the desktop bloat. If you do it with ubuntu-desktop you will get all the ubuntu-desktop packages as well as Unity (much of which you won't want) and effectively be running kubuntu and Ubuntu; you can choose which at login.

Installing just Unity should make it available from 'Session' tab at login.

Roer that! s

Bucky Ball
July 8th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Roer that! s

Cool. Just like you would install xfce4 for the xfce desktop environment (rather than xubuntu-desktop which installs pretty much Xubuntu) or gnome (or Unity for that matter) DE rather than all of ubuntu-desktop.

I love Xfce incidentally. Trying that is as easy as installing xfce4 from Synaptics and logging out, choose 'xfce session' from the sessions menu and log back in again. This method only installs the DE, your apps and settings remain. This would leave you in a situation where you are running Kubuntu but with Xfce as your DE rather than KDE.

If you install just Unity, you will be running Kubuntu with a Unity DE. Everything is the same except for how it looks. ;)