PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best MSN software

silveringking
July 8th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Ok, this a bit serious!

I am having a personal issue it doesnt matter... Normally a person who conforts me a lot is a very good friend from Vietnam, I have her contact on my hotmail account despite she being yahoo (windows supports yahoo for a few years). The problem is she is always offline. I mean she is there, but she is offline most of the time... I am a great fan of social protocols such as skype and windows live messenger. i actually speak more by msn than by phone, because texting messages in my cellphone is slower and expensive...

The problem is: I tried 3 messenger until now, first I tried Empathy but it is bugged (I reported the bug) and sometimes doesn't send me the messages at all, I know this because when I login on my hotmail account I see that pop up with messages that were delivered there but not delivered in my empathy. next it was amsn, even worst because the offline sending messages is bugged I receive a message a minute later saying that the message was not sent (this barely happens to me on windows), then I tried emesene it doesn't let me send messages offline at all, at least not to that contact and it bugged too because I saw my Viet friend's contact twice and when I tried to delete one of the contacts both were deleted, when I login on windows I saw my contact right there again, then I logged on Ubuntu again and there was my Viet friend on emesene again but when I tried to type an Hi, I was surprised by the fact that pressing enter doesn't send the message at all it just stucks there...

You might be thinking, why is this so important to me? Well I have about 180 contacts, every day people login and ask for me to emotional support, to philosophy, to make them laugh, to give informatic advice, I have my real friends there too, it is a discrete way to communicate... People often say that my way of writing makes them feel better, makes them feel not so alone... I actually enjoy having a 3 hour chat with a contact, and god knows that I do it every time, I actually send a message every 15 seconds or so :P

So my question is: Is there ANY msn client that isn't bugged and supports my needs? You see now I have to login on windows just to talk with my friend :( .

Best regards!

Ps: Yeah I am proud of having the same msn account since 2003 :P (Wow I am really a weird!)

whatthefunk
July 8th, 2011, 06:21 AM
I use Pidgin. Its brilliant. It combines all my contacts from MSN, Yahoo, and others in one messenger.

http://www.pidgin.im/

toumpas
July 8th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Pidgin is actually quite old and tested messenger.

Been away from Linux but comming anew with Ubuntu 11.04 and Empathy preinstalled i never thought back on Pidgin.. OR should I?

whatthefunk
July 8th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Pidgin is actually quite old and tested messenger.

Been away from Linux but comming anew with Ubuntu 11.04 and Empathy preinstalled i never thought back on Pidgin.. OR should I?

Ive never used Empathy, but Pidgin has never given me any reason to look elsewhere.

golagoda
July 8th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Pidgin and aMSN are both exceptional instant messaging clients.

silveringking
July 8th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Amsn itself gave me problems as you see ;)

silveringking
July 8th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I have a question! The offline emulation plugin works on offline contacts? Like if my contact enters offline will he/she receive the messages? And they will be able to answer me back?

haqking
July 8th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Pidgin

I use it to speak to MSN, Skype, ICQ, Google Talk and AIM friends.

All work great, it is fairly configurable so you can make it look prettier than its default, lots of plugins available.

Worked 100% of the time for me with all my friends.