PDA

View Full Version : What improvements are you predicting in Ubuntu 11.10?

jrozo17
July 8th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Just curious. I have a laptop loaded with Windows 7 and I have no reason to SWITCH to Ubuntu, but my inner geek still wants a dual boot again. :p From experience I kind of dislike 11.04, i mean it seems a little... unpolished.(no offense)

So I'm just asking for opinions, do you really think that Unity is going to shape up in 11.10? Will Gnome 3 possibly help make it more efficient?

Dry Lips
July 8th, 2011, 12:27 AM
*looks into crystal ball* I see Thunderbird replacing Evolution...

jrozo17
July 8th, 2011, 12:30 AM
*looks into crystal ball* I see Thunderbird replacing Evolution...

So thunderbird is better?

akand074
July 8th, 2011, 12:34 AM
It'll definitely be better, and easier to use gnome-shell if you prefer that. Though, they are introducing a lot of new core software such as lightDM replacing gdm for example. So it likely won't be perfect, but better. 12.04 should be brilliant.

Dry Lips
July 8th, 2011, 12:36 AM

I was joking, since you wrote about prediction in the title ;)
(We've having a thread right now about Thunderbird
replacing Evolution. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1799311)

Personally I prefer Thunderbird over Evolution,
since you can install a great add-on called
Enigmail that add encryption to your emails.

jrozo17
July 8th, 2011, 12:50 AM
It'll definitely be better, and easier to use gnome-shell if you prefer that. Though, they are introducing a lot of new core software such as lightDM replacing gdm for example. So it likely won't be perfect, but better. 12.04 should be brilliant.

Thanks for the thought out answer, I dont keep up with everything lately so its reassuring hearing that. :)
I hope if anything, they change the sound scheme up a bit.. never really liked it.

jrozo17
July 8th, 2011, 12:57 AM
I was joking, since you wrote about prediction in the title ;)
(We've having a thread right now about Thunderbird
replacing Evolution. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1799311)

Personally I prefer Thunderbird over Evolution,
since you can install a great add-on called
Enigmail that add encryption to your emails.

Oops, sorry I can be a bit slow when it comes to humor. ;)
Hmm Thunderbird sounds kinda nice, I've never used Evolution so I can't compare the 2. So it should have no problem syncing with my Hotmail account right?

Paqman
July 8th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Using my amazing power of prediction I foretell that it will have everything on this list (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OneiricOcelot/TechnicalOverview).

jrozo17
July 8th, 2011, 03:45 AM
Using my amazing power of prediction I foretell that it will have everything on this list (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OneiricOcelot/TechnicalOverview).

hah awesome, thanks! :lolflag:

BrokenKingpin
July 8th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Though, they are introducing a lot of new core software such as lightDM replacing gdm for example. So it likely won't be perfect, but better. 12.04 should be brilliant.
I am so happy to hear that they are switching to LightDM... especially if Xubuntu does the same. There may be a few issues with these changes, but they are all for the better long term.

I think Ubuntu is moving from Xorg to Wayland over the next couple years... whenever they do, that release will be the one to watch as it could cause huge issues initially.

akand074
July 8th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I am so happy to hear that they are switching to LightDM... especially if Xubuntu does the same. There may be a few issues with these changes, but they are all for the better long term.

I think Ubuntu is moving from Xorg to Wayland over the next couple years... whenever they do, that release will be the one to watch as it could cause huge issues initially.

Yup. LightDM is already in Alpha2, Wayland won't be in for a while. Definitely not before the next LTS. But I'm glad they are pushing and supporting innovation.

Btw, LightDM is currently in Xubuntu as well (and probably every other variant).

jrozo17
July 8th, 2011, 11:57 PM
I've been wanting to know, does anyone know if the battery life will be improved for laptops and netbooks? :(

benc1213
July 9th, 2011, 12:00 AM
I've been wanting to know, does anyone know if the battery life will be improved for laptops and netbooks? :(

I hope so I get an hour less on my laptop right now.

nrundy
July 9th, 2011, 12:23 AM

thunderbird rules!

Thunderbird as default mail client = :popcorn:

nrundy
July 9th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Just curious. I have a laptop loaded with Windows 7 and I have no reason to SWITCH to Ubuntu, but my inner geek still wants a dual boot again. :p From experience I kind of dislike 11.04, i mean it seems a little... unpolished.(no offense)

So I'm just asking for opinions, do you really think that Unity is going to shape up in 11.10? Will Gnome 3 possibly help make it more efficient?

I'm really looking forward to being able to do full disk encryption with LVM from the default ubuntu CD installer. This brainstorm gives me hope that we will see this in Oneiric: http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/24712/

3Miro
July 9th, 2011, 12:48 AM
@nrundy: you know you can do this from the alternate installer, right?

Things that would like to see:

- more polished Unity 2D, the 3D version definitely puts some pressure on the battery
- more customization of Unity (both 2D and 3D)

Other notes:
- Wayland will not be included in 11.10 and there is no way they would risk it for 12.04. No Wayland before 12.10 (at the earliest)
- Gnome-shell is available in the repos for the Alpha, although it is not very stable yet
- Gnome 3 does take away from customization options, so I am afraid Unity in 11.10 may be even more infelxible

Bart_D
July 9th, 2011, 02:38 AM
What am I predicting? Mostly minor changes. Bringing in Thunderbird is not a very big deal for me.

jrozo17
July 10th, 2011, 05:28 AM
I hope so I get an hour less on my laptop right now.

Wow... have you tried tweaking all of the power settings? I wonder if Unity 2D really saves that much more energy than 3d.

Roasted
July 10th, 2011, 05:29 AM
It'll definitely be better, and easier to use gnome-shell if you prefer that.

yummyyyyyyyy

Roasted
July 10th, 2011, 05:31 AM
thunderbird rules!

Thunderbird as default mail client = :popcorn:

The only issue I have with Thunderbird is how well rounded it is. Like it or not, Evolution has everything you need for a PIM in an office environment. Email, notes, tasks, calendar, etc.

Granted I just use the Google Calendar tab extension on Thunderbird and it works for me. But I'm not sure I could drop in Thunderbird as an Outlook 2007 replacement.

And this is coming from a Thunderbird fan... I really don't like Evolution, but it's feature to feature comparison is really in Evolution's favor, unless I'm missing some new version of Thunderbird that's completely *** kickingly awesome.

Irihapeti
July 10th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I prefer Thunderbird, but it doesn't - as far as I know - have any way of viewing memos or notes or whatever you want to call them. I think they are a standard component of pretty much any cellphone with a sync-able calendar, and at the moment Evolution supports them.

That, for me, is the only reason for wanting to keep Evolution around.

As for predictions, the only one I'll make is that, whatever happens, there'll be lots of complaining. There has been for every new release since goodness knows when, so why not this one?

ZarathustraDK
July 10th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Wow... have you tried tweaking all of the power settings? I wonder if Unity 2D really saves that much more energy than 3d.

I don't think Unity 2d saves more power than 3d under load. One of the points of compositing is letting your gfx-card do what it does best, render stuff. Letting the CPU do this is a waste.

However it does still mean that you need to power your gfx-card, so I'm not really sure. It probably depends on the hardware and what kind of performance you're expecting out of Unity2d (haven't tried Unity2d yet, so if I expect it to rival 3d in performance then the powerload for 2d will probably be higher).

Linuxratty
July 10th, 2011, 06:05 PM
As for predictions, the only one I'll make is the NVIDIA drivers vs Linux problems will be fixed.

Bart_D
July 10th, 2011, 07:41 PM
...As for predictions, the only one I'll make is that, whatever happens, there'll be lots of complaining. There has been for every new release since goodness knows when, so why not this one?

Not even worth mentioning that, man. It's a given.

It WILL happen.

As for predictions, the only one I'll make is the NVIDIA drivers vs Linux problems will be fixed.

That;s a bold prediction. What makes you think that it will happen?

Linuxratty
July 10th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Not even worth mentioning that, man. It's a given.

It WILL happen.

That;s a bold prediction. What makes you think that it will happen?

Well if they don't,Linux users will move to a different video card and the powers that be will lose money.

goldshirt9
July 10th, 2011, 08:37 PM
hopefully quicker start up and less memory usage.:(

BigSilly
July 10th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Without wishing to sound negative, I'm not expecting to see much in the way of improvement in 11.10. Maybe by 12.04 things will be markedly better.

sarcasmrules
July 15th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I'm seeing a boot splash fix shipping with iso, GNOME 3, and oerall fastness.