PDA

View Full Version : Just got my first IT job

cptrohn
July 7th, 2011, 07:35 PM
:P

Working for a smaller networking company, wow lookout... now I can go and break and fix lots of stuff eh?

Elfy
July 7th, 2011, 07:37 PM
congrats :)

I'd just like another job ...

haqking
July 7th, 2011, 07:38 PM

Working for a smaller networking company, wow lookout... now I can go and break and fix lots of stuff eh?

congrats, i remember my first IT job, i can still make a cracking cup of tea ;-)

have fun and best of luck

Diametric
July 7th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Congrats...and try to not break anything.

juancarlospaco
July 7th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Congratulations !
:D

CharlesA
July 7th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Congrats. Make the most of it. ;)

PartisanEntity
July 7th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Congrats! :-)

Spice Weasel
July 7th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Congrats :)

koenn
July 7th, 2011, 08:40 PM
... now I can go and break and fix lots of stuff eh?

congrats.
but no. You'll get to make sure stuff keeps working the way it should, and occasionally fix something someone else broke
:-)

MBybee
July 7th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Congrats and Condolences... IT jobs tend to preclude lives :)

Hopefully you'll soon get to the sort of job that encourages goofing off when everything is running smoothly. Not sure how many of those shops are left - I think IBM GS took over most of the good ones.

doas777
July 7th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Wonderful! I remember that feeling.

just whatever you do, don't get stuck in front-line support. tthe helldesk is where most of us start, but only the lazy stay there for long, so suck up all the knowledge and experience you can, and start planning the next stage of your carrear. in IT especially, it doesn't pay to stay at the same place more than 5 years.

congrats, and good luck!

mr-woof
July 7th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Well done mate :p

cptrohn
July 7th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Thanks much!

This should be interesting!

And they use Linux servers... So I am REALLY looking forward to the experience I will gain here... And my experience with Linux is pretty much what got me in the door..

LOL So thanks to all of you that held my hand from a noob until now... I owe you all a beer someday ;)

cptrohn
July 7th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Wonderful! I remember that feeling.

just whatever you do, don't get stuck in front-line support. tthe helldesk is where most of us start, but only the lazy stay there for long, so suck up all the knowledge and experience you can, and start planning the next stage of your carrear. in IT especially, it doesn't pay to stay at the same place more than 5 years.

congrats, and good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I'm still planning on what the future holds... I see a Linux+ cert and working towards my BS in the near future... Right now I have an AAS and A+,Net+ But hey gotta start somewhere right?

pafoo
July 8th, 2011, 04:53 AM
Let me give you 1 peice of advice as its your first IT job.. If you ask a question or see something you havent done before.... WRITE IT DOWN. Get you a good notepad and organize. You WILL forget stuff. Nothing ****'s us IT folk off more than when someone 1. Asks the same question twice, and 2. Doesnt try to research before asking basic questions.

Follow those 2 rules and you will have a very successful IT career

Oh as Cert's go, avoid CompTIA. There Certs hold little weight in the Bigger IT jobs. Look in to Ubuntu/Red Hat/Solaris certifications and SSCP, CISSP certifications.

Khakilang
July 8th, 2011, 04:56 AM
Congratulation! It is not just a job but a lifetime of learning and experience.

as2000
July 8th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Congrats!

wojox
July 8th, 2011, 05:46 AM
I see a Linux+ cert and working towards my BS in the near future

Sounds like a good plan. See if you can get them to foot the bill. :P

Oh as Cert's go, avoid CompTIA. There Certs hold little weight in the Bigger IT jobs. Look in to Ubuntu/Red Hat/Solaris certifications and SSCP, CISSP certifications.

Last I checked to be Ubuntu Certified you had to have LPI Certs which is covered under Linux+

wolfen69
July 8th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Great to hear! Make the most of it.

Metallion
July 8th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Congratz. I'm on my third IT job and first open source one. At first I worked for the Opera browser which was awesome and introduced me to linux, then I worked for Oracle which sucked. Bunch of assholes. And now I work for Axsh who are making open source IaaS software and it's awesome again. Good luck with your new job.

lisati
July 8th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Congratulation! It is not just a job but a lifetime of learning and experience.

+1

As others have said, make the most of it, and try not to break things. If you do break something, learn from the experience.

danbuter
July 8th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Let me give you 1 peice of advice as its your first IT job.. If you ask a question or see something you havent done before.... WRITE IT DOWN. Get you a good notepad and organize. You WILL forget stuff.

I recommend this advice for any career. Seriously, get a notebook or journal-style book and keep it easily accessible. It will save you lots of problems.

juancarlospaco
July 8th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Learn, Learn, Learn, Learn, Learn, Learn, Learn, Learn, Learn, Learn, Learn, Learn, Learn, Learn, Learn, Learn... then

Work for expensive price, or work for free ad-honorem, but never work for Cheap...

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 8th, 2011, 08:22 PM
congratulation! It is not just a job but a lifetime of learning and experience.

+ 1

Roasted
July 8th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Let me give you 1 peice of advice as its your first IT job.. If you ask a question or see something you havent done before.... WRITE IT DOWN. Get you a good notepad and organize. You WILL forget stuff. Nothing ****'s us IT folk off more than when someone 1. Asks the same question twice, and 2. Doesnt try to research before asking basic questions.

Follow those 2 rules and you will have a very successful IT career

BAM. Listen to this. I have taken SO many notes into Google Docs. I have a Technology folder that I have saved there, and below I have so many sub categories. Ubuntu. LTSP. Building a Linux image. Mass deployment. DHCP configuration. Etc...

Take notes with every step you do when you're setting up a new project. I just set up a new LTSP server today and I had completely forgotten how to do it. My google doc allowed me to get it done in a matter of 20 minutes after the install was done. No joke...

Of course, if you use Google Docs, make sure you save them locally somewhere. You just never know with that cloud stuff. :P

Work your *** off, ask lots of questions, write down everything you can. You'll love and hate it. It's really an interesting field to be in. :guitar:

cptrohn
July 9th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Thank you all for the great advice! Very excited start on Monday, I'll check in and let you all know how it goes!... Had to reinstall XP Pro on my laptop for this job because I guess they are working with some Point of Sale hardware and you have to be able to use hyper-client and some prop. stuff that they use... At least until I can get it running with Ubuntu!

frankcastle
December 6th, 2011, 12:01 PM
make sure that you complete 1year experience in this company.
don't think about the payment you receive.
Make sure you keep updating yourself about latest technology because in networking you must keep reading and updating your knowledge about latest cloud computing technology and server updates.
best luck